Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 / RBS850 losing internet connection

jbousaba
Aspirant

RBR850 / RBS850 losing internet connection

My system was working really well with software release V4.6.7.13, and after getting a new update (V4.6.8.2) few weeks ago, my system has been very unstable where devices sitting next to the 2 satellites keep switching connection to the main orbi router that is sitting farther away and in many instances I loose internet connection. I went back and manually switched back to V4.6.7.13 which fixed all the issues, but then that evening my orbi system automatically updated back to the latest software revision, and back to the same issues. I called technical support and they told that there is no option to disable new software updates, which was a big disappointment and also shocking to me, especially when new software releases are not properly tested before being released (which is another big disappointment coming from a reputable company like Netgear!).

I had multiple calls with technical support and they were very helpful but the issue is that they don't seem to be getting the right support from their engineering team. I just finished the last call, and i was inform that their engineering team is aware of the issue and they are working on it, and meanwhile there is nothing that can be done to help customers - he told me that reverting back to release V4.6.7.13 would not work based on their engineering team (they tried and they could not push it) - which really weird - I told him that I have that release and I can download it, but I need them to disable the automatic update and he said they cannot (another surprise, you would think they will have always have the option). The technician said that a new patch was released to fix the issue, but when he checked my serial number, my devices was not included in the update list, he said it was targeted for devices that were purchased in 2021 (I bought mine in January 2022) - this was also surprising - so he had to manually add my serial number to the list of updates which he said will be in few days - I hope that happens. Also, I would really urge the Netgear team to add the option to disable automatic updates.

P.S. I could not find V4.6.8.2 or V4.6.7.13 in the download page any longer!!

Sorry for my complaining email, but I thought I will post this to provide a message to the Netgear team as this is not what I expected to get when I spent >$1000 on a system to buy reliability and peace of mind. I was told by the technician that they are getting a lot of calls for the same issue for the past few weeks now, so I know it's not only me.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 / RBS850 losing internet connection

What FW version is currently loaded now? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Do you happen to have Email logging enabled?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

Message 2 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.

Currently firmware V4.6.8.2 loaded on both the Orbi router and the 2 satellites.

The modem is a Motorola MB8600 and I have that connected directly to my Orbi router. My service provider is Xfinity and I have 700mbps service.

My house is ~4500 sq ft, and the distance between the RBR and two RBS is 40 to 45 ft, and the backhaul connection status is GOOD for both. I tried using just a router with 1 satellite and did not get good coverage across my property, which is why I bought the router + 2 satellites.

Not sure I have the email logging enabled, I will follow the instructions you provided and will enable it if it is not already enabled.

One last point, as I mentioned in my first note, the older version of the Firmware V4.6.7.13 was very stable and worked great.

I have that release and I installed manually, but 24 hours later I got the latest FW version installed automatically, I wish there is the option to disable automatic updates.

Thanks for the help

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I believe v.13 was last good working version that I also experienced with out these mysterious reboots. 

Let us know if you can eanble Email logging and observe. 

I have mine set for Daily at 6AM. 

My RBR850 has been now online for over 24 hours with out any reboots, with email logging enabled, as before I was seeing reboots happen around every 6-8 hours with email logging disabled.

Message 4 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

Thank you. How do I enable email logging, I could not not figure it out.
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

I use Gmail on mine and on May 31st Google disabled and removed Allow Less Secure apps on there services so if you use Gmail, you need to enable 2FA on your Gmail account profile then as for a 3rd party application Password thats generated by Google. Input this in to the RBRs email configuration. 

Message 6 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

Thank you. I use att.net. I just set it up. It will provide the logs everyday at midnight (preset, could not change it). Will check. Thanks for all the help.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. 

Just keep an eye on the debug system uptime page. Hoping you will see a change in behavior here. 

Message 8 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

Thank you. The performance is a bit worse today, very disappointing for such a high end device!
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by worse? 

Looking for any continued reboots seen on the RBR for now. 

Message 10 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

Getting more internet disconnects. This happens when a device looses connection from a nearby satellite and connects to main orbi router - it takes from few seconds to a couple of minutes to re-establish connection.
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set 50% transmit power on the RBR? 

Message 12 of 14
jbousaba
Aspirant

I have not tried that. But wouldn’t affect the connection between the Router and the satellites?
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Should effect them too much. You can set back after trying this...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7