Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Requires Daily Reboot to Get Normal Connection Speeds

skyward1
Apprentice

RBR850 Requires Daily Reboot to Get Normal Connection Speeds

Hello NG Community,

I have the RBK852 system (RBR850 router and RBS850 satellite), running v3.2.10.11_1.2.12, and have recently experienced extremely slow connection speeds.  My Internet connection speeds are usually in the high 800s Mbps - mid 900s Mbps.  Within the past week, my connection speed is around 8 or 9 Mbps (yes 8 or 9 Mbps, not 800 or 900 Mbps), when I start using my computer in the mornings.  After rebooting the router,my speeds are back to normal for a day.  LAN speeds are very good.

Does anyone know this problem and can help me?

Thanks and stay safe!

sky

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
skyward1
Apprentice

Re: RBR850 Requires Daily Reboot to Get Normal Connection Speeds

Hey Furry and all,

Sorry, not WAN.  It was a conflict between the router and modem.  My modem was (still is) at 192.168.0.1 and my router was at 192.168.1.1.  That is where the problem was.  I went to 172.16.0.1 for my router, changed all my static IPs to fall under that, and lett DHCP assign the others normally.  All is happy!

I will be closing this post as solved, but I actually solved it, so how can I do that?

Thanks annd stay safe!

sky

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 29

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are speeds tested both wired and wireless? 

Have you power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 1 minute then back on? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

Hello again Furry!

My modem is an Arris SB8200 with a COmcast gigabit connection.  I have not rebooted the modem, only the router; which 'fixes' it for a day.

The speed tests were for a wired connection.  LAN was normal.  WAN is the problem.

I have not performed a reset and setup from scratch, as all was working just fine thorough the FW fiasco.  I went from the 10.1 beta to the 10.11 with no issues.

I really don't want to do a reset and reinstall, as I have a lot more going on to take care of, but if that will be the fix, then I'll suck it up.

Please advise!

Thank you and stay safe!

sky

Message 3 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute, then back on with the ISP modem and RBR lastly. 

A reset maybe needed if you haven't done one yet since last update. v10.11 FW files are now availalbe for download so a freash load would be a good idea as well. 

Message 4 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

Hello Furry,

I did the reboot sequence of the modem, router, and satellite.  I'll see how that goes in the next day or two.

If there are still issues (and I am sure there will be) and I need to reset the modem and satellite and install new (more hours wasted) and reconfigure fresh, what do you recommend so I can be done with this once and for all?  I need to use my system for work and household device use.  If I take the system down, I will not be able to do any work and my wife and others in my house will not be able to use their devices.  So, I want to get this right if I have to take the system down again, and be done with it.

I am already running the latest FW, but you mentioned it is available for download.  What do you mean by that?  Am I to downgrade the FW to a previous version for the satellite and router and then upgrade to the latest FW?  If I reset, it will dump all of my settings and keep the current FW, so I don't understand why you mentioned the new FW being available.

Anyhow, I have a lot of devices on static IPs, so it will be a mess to redo everything as I believe you will not want me to use my backup file,from what I have seen you telling others about a 'fresh' reset.

If I do need to go with the maximum reset, would you tell me the steps I need to do please?

Thanks for your help and stay safe!

sky

Message 5 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

No change in router connection speed issue.  It is a daily occurance.  I reboot the router and it works fine until the next day.

Please give me the full instructions to clear this up once and for all.  I want to move on with my life and hopefully have the most expensive router in the world be the least of my worries and troubles.

Thank you and stay safe!

sky

Message 6 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

I would download the actual RBR v10.11 FW file to your wired PC. 

Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem and turn the ISP modem OFF. 

Factory reset the RBR and skip the setup wizard. Use the back button for 15 seconds or the ERASE function from the web page UI. 

Manually load the RBR FW file from the unpacked .zip file using your wired PC and a browser. Use IE11, Firefox or Opera. 

After it loads and the RBR comes back to ready, do one more factory reset. Use the back button for 15 seconds or the ERASE function from the web page UI. 

Power ON the ISP modem.

Connect the RBR to the modem. 

Walk thru the setup wizard or you can skip it and setup the RBR yourself. I would skip adding the RBS for now. Give the RBR working alone to see if this happens again. 

You might input using different DNS on the RBR to see if this helps any, try quad 1s and 9s or Google DNS or leave it set to automatic. Try out both methods. 

Do you have your prior router by chance? 

You might need to constact NG support about this if nothing seems to fix this.

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 7 of 29
aakshey
Star

All the advice in this thread is wrong. 

90% this is a hardware defect. 10% A reset or firmware downgrade will work. 

Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe. Lets see if this reset and re-load works. The HW was working prior to 3/9 FW update push from NG. NG fixed problems on there side and re-pushed FW on 3/19. 

The user will need to contact NG support to see if an RMA is an option should nothing helps out. 

Message 9 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

Okay, I'm going to do the reset tonight, following Furry's advice/porcedure.

I hope this very expensive router actually works!

Thanks!

sky

Message 10 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

Furry,

Last night, I did the reset you recommended.  With the exception of not connecting the satellite.  I have to have the satellite online, as well, with my house (concrete exterior walls and steel frame interior walls) to make everthing work.

This evening, it is creepy-crawly again.  So, I wasted about 3 hours of time doing this exercise.

I suppose I will need to report it to NG and get a ticket.  They will probably want me to do a reset, as well, based on my experience with tech support.

Another issue...my VoIP will not register.  The VoIP provider (1-VoIP) is saying it appears to be a firewall issue.  Do you know the settings I need for the firewall.  I believe it is port-forwarding, but not sure.  I have a Yeastar S-20 PBX connected behind the router.  If you want me to open a new forum for this, let me know.

Thanks and stay safe!

sky

Message 11 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

With all the concrete and metal, seems like you live in a faraday cage which is not good at all for wifi signals...Wondering if anything will work well in you home. 

Has the system really ever worked well since you got it? 

Put the VoIP devices IP address into the RBRs DMZ. Set up a reserved IP address for it so the address doesn't change. 

Message 12 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

Furry,

The wifi worked fine until this daily reboot issue.  That is why I have, and need, a satellite.

The house is a typical South Florida configuration.

I will be getting with the dreaded NG support to get this system replaced with a new one.

Thanks for the info on the VoIP.  Is there a place in the community to address VoIP issues like this?

Take care and stay safe!

sky

Message 13 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Not that I know if unless it's a NG VoIP device. if your have VoIP issues with your device, i would make contact with the Mfr of the device. 

IF it's router releated, then you can post a new post. 

DMZ should help here though..

Let us know how it goes with NG support. Try contacting a forum moderator aswell. 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 29
aakshey
Star

Pretty much all routers will work very well with concrete. The exceptions are mesh systems and Ubiquiti. It's not like mesh systems/Ubiquiti won't work, but you'll probably need a node for every room or at least for every other room. 

Regular routers like Netgear X4S or TP Link C2300 on the other hand will very well. One can easily cover areas of around 1000 sq ft if not more with one unit. You will need multiple of those wired together in AP mode for a large house. And if you're doing that, something simple like the TP Link C1200 will be almost as good as well at a fraction of the price. 

Message 15 of 29
aakshey
Star

Ignore my previous reply. Got side tracked by Furry's non sensical reply. 🙂 I was talking about WiFi coverage. Your issue is unrelated. You have a defective system. I'm not 99% sure. I'm 100% sure. 

Message 16 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

I have submitted a support ticket today and asked for a complete system (RBK850) replacement.

They will probably ask me to reset, reconfigure, reboot, and repeat all that I've already done.  I am a techie, but I didn't but this equipment to focus so much time to resolving issues.  How can I use this equipment to simply get on the Internet and do my work or leisure?  I can't believe how many problems this equipment has had from day one.  This is the second router I am using.  They replaced the original router (not the satellite) for the magenta light issue, which turned out to be the firmware/server fiasco.  Yes, I am pissed!

Thank you all for trying your best to help!

Please stay safe and take care!

sky

Message 17 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the replacement works better. 

Message 18 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

I don't want it to work better, I want it to work correctly.

Message 19 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

That too. 

Message 20 of 29
skyward1
Apprentice

I submitted a NG Support ticket.  It was elevated to a level 2 tech, who went through his procedure, only to spend hours of my time to no resolution.  Well, it turned out the time wasn't a waste, as it caused me to stumble across the problem on my own.  The problem was an IP address conflict with my ISP (LAN/WAN conflict).  My router's IP address was changed and I re-assigned all my static IPs.  It has been four days and I am getting normal speeds all the time.

You would think that this would have been looked at right away, but it wasn't.  Too much involved in 'procedure' (reboot, reset, reconfigure, repeat) to even look at the basic.  Engine won't start...hmmm...let's rip the electrical and fuel systems apart and find the problem.  The problem?  The gas tank is empty.

I asked them (and I will ask this community) to look at this as 'lessons learned' to help them rewrite their procedure.

Now, I'm going to be able to do what little work there is remaining in my company and watch some streaming movies with my wife.

Good night, stay safe and well!

sky

Message 21 of 29
Mikey94025
Hero

Glad to hear you figured out the issue and that it wasn't actually a hardware problem.

@skyward1 wrote:

The problem was an IP address conflict with my ISP (LAN/WAN conflict).  My router's IP address was changed and I re-assigned all my static IPs. 

So was this issue of your own making?  Can Netgear/Orbi technical support realistically help you identify and resolve IP conflicts between your ISP LAN and WAN setup?  At least there should be better tools or logging to make such conflicts visible in the first place.

Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN WAN conflict? There shouldn't have been any WAN conflict since your Modem is a modem only. Hmm...

Just curious, what IP address string had you been using and what did you change to? 

Glad you found the problem and fixed it. Please mark your thread as solved. 

@skyward1 wrote:

I submitted a NG Support ticket.  It was elevated to a level 2 tech, who went through his procedure, only to spend hours of my time to no resolution.  Well, it turned out the time wasn't a waste, as it caused me to stumble across the problem on my own.  The problem was an IP address conflict with my ISP (LAN/WAN conflict).  My router's IP address was changed and I re-assigned all my static IPs.  It has been four days and I am getting normal speeds all the time.

You would think that this would have been looked at right away, but it wasn't.  Too much involved in 'procedure' (reboot, reset, reconfigure, repeat) to even look at the basic.  Engine won't start...hmmm...let's rip the electrical and fuel systems apart and find the problem.  The problem?  The gas tank is empty.

I asked them (and I will ask this community) to look at this as 'lessons learned' to help them rewrite their procedure.

Now, I'm going to be able to do what little work there is remaining in my company and watch some streaming movies with my wife.

Good night, stay safe and well!

sky

Message 23 of 29
mihealy54
Aspirant

I am having a very similar issue........ before I found this posting I had opened a case under the heading "Greatly Reduced Upstream Bandwidth (AX6000-RBR850/RBS850)".

I have checked all of my Router-2-ISP IP Addresses and Router-2-Endpoints IP Addreses, I do not see any conflicts??

Any other thoughts

Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets continue to post about this in your first thread here"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Greatly-Reduced-Upstream-Bandwidth-AX6000-RBR850-RBS850/m-p...

Thank you,

@mihealy54 wrote:

I am having a very similar issue........ before I found this posting I had opened a case under the heading "Greatly Reduced Upstream Bandwidth (AX6000-RBR850/RBS850)".

I have checked all of my Router-2-ISP IP Addresses and Router-2-Endpoints IP Addreses, I do not see any conflicts??

Any other thoughts

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7