Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Unable to set custom primary and secondary DNS servers

filmnikon
Aspirant

RBR850 Unable to set custom primary and secondary DNS servers

I recently noticed that my Orbi home network was no longer using "Open DNS" DNS servers as I had configured it a few years back.  I am not sure on when this changed.  To troubleshoot, I went into the Advanced -> Internet Setup page on routerlogin.com and noticed that the Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses section is grayed out, with "Get Automatically from ISP" checked.  I am unable to select "Use These DNS Servers". 

Does anyone have any idea how to configure overrides for primary and secondary DNS servers?  Earlier today I upgraded manually to the latest firmware and performed factory resets on all my Orbi devices, just to see if it helped, but the problem remains (grayed out option).  Any thoughts?

I have provided a screenshot of the relevant section below.

Thank you!

Model: RBR850 with 2 satellites

Firmware: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

Environment: Comcast cable

Cable Modem: Arris SB8200

Screenshot 2022-07-21 181458.jpg

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
filmnikon
Aspirant

Re: RBR850 Unable to set custom primary and secondary DNS servers

Finally solved it.  Leaving some paper trail for others:

• There are a few reasons why DNS servers will change, here is some information on this: DNS Servers Keep Changing Away from OpenDNS Automatically – OpenDNS.
  • Turning Parental Controls on or off has no impact on the ability to change the DNS servers.
  • How to change the DNS servers if they are "grayed out": factory reset the router without being plugged into internet.  You will have to proceed even past scary warnings that you should not set up the router without being connected to the internet.  If you are configuring your own DNS settings then you probably know what you are doing, however.  The DNS server settings will be configurable after factor reset.  Once you have configured them, you can now connect internet (eg, from your cable modem).  You will find that the DNS servers are "locked" / grayed out once again, but at least they will be your chosen DNS servers.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I think I saw this before on my router. It can be that it's just "stuck" there. Try to just check the previous section "Internet IP Address" to "Use Static IP Address" and back to "Get Dynamically". I think then the DNS selection possibility will open. 🙂

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor or SPC enabled? If so, disable these and try again?

@filmnikon wrote:

I recently noticed that my Orbi home network was no longer using "Open DNS" DNS servers as I had configured it a few years back.  I am not sure on when this changed.  To troubleshoot, I went into the Advanced -> Internet Setup page on routerlogin.com and noticed that the Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses section is grayed out, with "Get Automatically from ISP" checked.  I am unable to select "Use These DNS Servers". 

Does anyone have any idea how to configure overrides for primary and secondary DNS servers?  Earlier today I upgraded manually to the latest firmware and performed factory resets on all my Orbi devices, just to see if it helped, but the problem remains (grayed out option).  Any thoughts?

I have provided a screenshot of the relevant section below.

Thank you!

Model: RBR850 with 2 satellites

Firmware: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

Environment: Comcast cable

Cable Modem: Arris SB8200

Screenshot 2022-07-21 181458.jpg

Message 3 of 13
filmnikon
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for your thought.  I have tried your suggestion but the options remain grayed out.

Message 4 of 13
filmnikon
Aspirant

How does one disable SPC?

Message 5 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@filmnikon wrote:

How does one disable SPC?

In the Orbi app, go to >> Click left upper side of the app >> SETTINGS >> Parental Control >> Disable Parental Control

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

After you disable both Armor and SPC and the changes get applied, I would power OFF the RBR for 15 seconds then back ON. Check the DNS settings on the web page. Should be able to change them.

As last resort, you may need to factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser, after setup wizard completes, go in and make the DNS changes then. 

Message 7 of 13
filmnikon
Aspirant

I disabled parental controls, rebooted, and this did not open up the ability to edit DNS settings.

Factory reset also did not open up the ability to edit DNS settings.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

When you factory reset the RBR, did you use a PC and web browser to setup the RBR. Also during setup did you have the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem? 

Message 9 of 13
filmnikon
Aspirant

>> When you factory reset the RBR, did you use a PC and web browser to setup the RBR.

Yes.

>> Also during setup did you have the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem? 

No.  This makes sense and I will give it a try.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be only other thing that is causing this...shouldn't though.

Message 11 of 13
filmnikon
Aspirant

Finally solved it.  Leaving some paper trail for others:

• There are a few reasons why DNS servers will change, here is some information on this: DNS Servers Keep Changing Away from OpenDNS Automatically – OpenDNS.
  • Turning Parental Controls on or off has no impact on the ability to change the DNS servers.
  • How to change the DNS servers if they are "grayed out": factory reset the router without being plugged into internet.  You will have to proceed even past scary warnings that you should not set up the router without being connected to the internet.  If you are configuring your own DNS settings then you probably know what you are doing, however.  The DNS server settings will be configurable after factor reset.  Once you have configured them, you can now connect internet (eg, from your cable modem).  You will find that the DNS servers are "locked" / grayed out once again, but at least they will be your chosen DNS servers.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7