Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 frequently issuing DNS REFUSED responses

amenic
Apprentice

How do you disable it after enabling it?   I notice that it's available outside network (WAN).

Message 26 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I guess you could set the 

telnetd_enable=1 to 0 and do a nvram commit and reboot

Message 27 of 106
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-lookup-failures-on-RBR850/td-p/1978111/jum...

@Retired_Member wrote:

I guess you could set the 

telnetd_enable=1 to 0 and do a nvram commit and reboot

Message 28 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have inspected a litle further and  with strace you could see tons of errormessages regarding read like this:

read(8, 0x166feda0, 272) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

where fd=8 is coming from the following call:

inotify_add_watch(8, "/tmp", IN_CLOSE_WRITE|IN_MOVED_TO) = 1

I guess the idea here was to watch for changes in resolve.conf and this might be a bug.

A lot of daemons logs to /tmp and making dnsmasq busy watching  filecloses in /tmp

which result in the DNS forward request being "refused"

A workaround that seems to do the trick is to move resolv.conf to a less busy directory, in my case I created /tmp/dns/resolve.conf

and launched from commandline:

/usr/sbin/dnsmasq -h -n -c 0 -N -i br* -r /tmp/dns/resolv.conf -u root

No dns-errors after 1 hour running so fare

Message 29 of 106
Ace321
Apprentice

@Retired_Member @FURRYe38 Looks like you have signed up to be beta testers. As few of us are having these DNS issue, can you please forward the issue and above resolution to NG engineering? Hopefully they will take that into condieration in next foirmware update.

Thanks!

Message 30 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Running without errors for 24 hours now, so this seems to have fixed it.

I will send the information to them, and request for a bugfix. Propably is the "-n" --no-poll  feature broken and the file-poll badly implementet.

Message 31 of 106
FURRYe38
Guru

Any forum user experiencing problems with there NG products are encouraged to first and foremost make contact with NG support:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

File a support ticket and let NG know about what you are experiencing. You can also try contacting a forum  moderator as well. Blanca_O, and Christian_R, ErnestTheGreat are my first moderators I try to contact.

Thank you. 

@Ace321 wrote:

Looks like you have signed up to be beta testers. As few of us are having these DNS issue, can you please forward the issue and above resolution to NG engineering? Hopefully they will take that into condieration in next foirmware update.

Thanks!

Message 32 of 106
amenic
Apprentice

Still learning the implementation so far it looks like they run this software based on openwrt and everything is loaded into RAM (tmpfs) at boot from the image.    Which means you can't make persistent changes to the filesystem once loaded.

So, all if you have to do is reboot to revert changes made which is what I did to undo Telnet access.

Message 33 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is not correct, you could do a lot of changes which will remain after reboot.

nvram, overlay-filesystem ant more will not be erased.

/tmp is tmpfs and cleared each time

Message 34 of 106
amenic
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

This is not correct, you could do a lot of changes which will remain after reboot.

nvram, overlay-filesystem ant more will not be erased.

/tmp is tmpfs and cleared each time

Well that's good news - can you please walk me through how I can modify the parameters dnsmasq uses so that they persist each boot?

Cheer!

Message 35 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something like this will do:

copy /usr/sbin/dnsmasq to /overlay/upper/usr/sbin/orbi-dnsmasq 

make a file called dnsmasq in /overlay/upper/usr/sbin (this will hide the original dnsmasq from the running os) with the following lines:

#!/bin/sh
mkdir /tmp/dns
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /tmp/dns/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 8.8.4.4" >> /tmp/dns/resolv.conf
/usr/sbin/orbi-dnsmasq -h -n -c 0 -N -i br* -r /tmp/dns/resolv.conf -u root

Message 36 of 106
jj911c2
Tutor

Thank you for posting these instructions. I have been working with Netgear support but they jsut suggested I return the device to the store vs troubleshooting. 

I enabled telnet on the Orib and connected via the Windows built in telnet client. When I try to run the first line I get an error saying "copy: not found" 

root@RBR750:/tmp/dns#
root@RBR750:/tmp/dns# copy /usr/sbin/dnsmasq to /overlay/upper/usr/sbin/orbi-dns
masq
/bin/ash: copy: not found

Am I missing a step? 

Message 37 of 106
Ace321
Apprentice

You have to use Linux commands I believe. For example "CP" for Copy function.

Message 38 of 106
Ace321
Apprentice

May be @Retired_Member can write exact commands to execute.

Message 39 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes I could do that, but I see there is a big risk for people to brick their Orbi-routers when not used to work on unix-systems.

And I would not be responsible for this, as my guide could may be missread or badly written by me 🙂

I have reported the bug found in dnsmasq and I hope Netgear will work on this and make a patch for everyone to install.

Message 40 of 106
Mikey94025
Hero

If you are using Windows, the easy and safe workaround is to set the DNS settings for your network connection to go directly to the DNS server IP address instead of through the Orbi.  This workaround worked for me on my Windows laptop and eliminated the intermittent DNS failures.  I used google DNS 8.8.8.8 but you can substitute your ISP's DNS address instead.

1. Hit the Windows key and search for "control panel"
  2. Network and Internet
  3. Network and Sharing Center
  4. On the left, Change Adapter Settings
  5. For each wi-fi or other network adapter used, right-click and select Properties
  6. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the list and press Properties
  7. The second checknox is set to Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically.  Change it to Use The Following DNS Server Addresses
  8. Enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (the Google DNS addresses)
  9. Press OK

Now it should bypass the Orbi for DNS and go straight to the DNS servers.

Message 41 of 106
scng
Initiate

Same problem with RBR750. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes I could do that, but I see there is a big risk for people to brick their Orbi-routers when not used to work on unix-systems.

And I would not be responsible for this, as my guide could may be missread or badly written by me 🙂

I have reported the bug found in dnsmasq and I hope Netgear will work on this and make a patch for everyone to install.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Message 42 of 106
jj911c2
Tutor

I had the same problems w/ my 750 and tried all the troubleshooting steps as well as opening a support case with Netgear. I was unable to fix the issue with DNS. 

I ended up just flipping my cable modem (Xfinity) back to router mode and set the Orbi to AP mode. You really don't lose a lot of functionality (I can still see which devices are connected to each satellite in the Orbi application) in AP mode. This fixes the DNS issue as your cable modem takes over this functionality.  Strange you have to do this for such a high end system...but the signal strength/wired satellites makes it worth keeping. 

Message 43 of 106
wonky
Aspirant

Hi, I'm having this same problem, and am using the "workaround" for my Windows computer (bypassing the router's DNS service). I directed NG support to this forum thread so they could understand the problem. I asked for a projected resolution date for this bug, but cannot seem to get an answer. When you shared this problem with NG engineering, did they give any indication of where this bug is prioritized in their backlog? Thank you for digging into this problem!

Message 44 of 106
jj911c2
Tutor

I did not make any progress with my support case. 

If you can, flip your ISP modem back to router mode and set your Orbi to AP mode. This completely fixed the issue for me for all devices. 

Message 45 of 106
Capt_Hellcat
Initiate

5 months since this thread started and no resolution? just a workaround that only works for devices i can manually set DNS on? At least i know im not alone in this and was wondering what was the cause of all my random DNS issues. i suspected it was the router since its new but i did just move and while still google fiber, it is a new location. guess its the router. if i didnt need the coverage these 3 orbi's give, i'd go back to my trusty asus ax88u and merlin firmware

Message 46 of 106
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Whos your provider? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

I'm on Sparklith and using a CAX80 in modem mode and RBR850 in router mode and have not seen any problems in this regard...

@Capt_Hellcat wrote:

5 months since this thread started and no resolution? just a workaround that only works for devices i can manually set DNS on? At least i know im not alone in this and was wondering what was the cause of all my random DNS issues. i suspected it was the router since its new but i did just move and while still google fiber, it is a new location. guess its the router. if i didnt need the coverage these 3 orbi's give, i'd go back to my trusty asus ax88u and merlin firmware

Message 47 of 106
wonky
Aspirant

@FURRYe38, for what it’s worth, I have: Xfinity with a MB7621 cable modem, with the latest NG firmware (as of 11/6/20) on the Orbi ax 4200. I also have a support case open. The workaround of bypassing this router’s DNS resolution works for my Windows PCs. It also works to replace the router function altogether with a different router, but that defeats the purpose of buying this. I’ve had both my old ASUS and Google routers working with this modem/ISP and it works fine. @Retired_Member has identified the bug, so it’s pretty frustrating that we can’t get a projected resolution date from NG support. If you have influence with NG, it would be great if we at least got a projected date for a bug fix.

Message 48 of 106
Ace321
Apprentice

@wonky I have similar experience with NG support. Exhanged lot of emails, sent logs, phone calls with them. Finally NG support told me that they have forward to their engineering team. After that, all communication died from NG with no updates. Few days later, I received a pm from moderator of this thread. She (Bianca I beleive) was very helfull and pushed my ticket with NG support. NG support person (Sophia) called me right away who was working on my case earlier. I was in a meeting and missed her call. I informed her and even setup a time with her to talk. She claimed that she needs more information from me. She never called me during that scheduled time. Since then I am still waiting for a call from NG. Bottom line, NG is somehow refusing to acknowledge this issue.

Message 49 of 106
wwxxyyzz
Aspirant

I'm also seeing this on a RBK752/RBR750. Wired connection to PC and wireless to other devices. Webpass is my ISP. IPv6 disabled on the router. Latest firmware. Factory reset of the router. Still fails. All of my devices fail to make connections on a daily basis.

How is this not fixed after several months?

Message 50 of 106
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7