Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 on 4.6.7.5 firmware wifi download isssue

RBR850 on 4.6.7.5 firmware wifi download isssue

i have a RBR850 on 4.6.7.5 firmware with a single satellite.  RBR850 has a static IP address and is bridged by the ISP.  I recently upgraded bandwidth to a 1 Gbps down and 500 Mbps up package.  If i connect a wired connection to the RBR850 base i get full bandwidth up and down.   Wifi clients with wifi 6 get full upload, but under 500 Mbps download.  I've tried the various setting changes from the community,  CTS/RTS, short preamble, disabling 20/40 MHz coexistance, but still no change.  I was expecting to see a full download ability.  In my previous ISP package i had a 300 down and 150 up and it worked on wifi 6 at full bandwidth.

i had recently updated the firmware to 4.6.7.5 to see if it alleviates the periodic total disconnect, but that appears to still be continuing.  Wifi drops periodically for a few minutes.  So that issue has not been resolved, but reported lots in the community.

I'm really at odds with this hardware. It's quality doesn't match the pricetag.  Netgear ...what's up?  I was hoping this mesh tech would be the solution, but seriously my old hardware on the same static IP never had these issues.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have you powered OFF the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer then back ON? 

Try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch...

Message 2 of 14

RBS and RBR are connected by ethernet.

Its a 1500 square foot house over 2 floors. This system is overkill for the square footage.  I've already done the tweaking on channels with no change.  I guess next step is do a reset.  If that fails....this system heading to the recyle bin.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Ya for 1500 sq ft, just the RBR alone is enough. Maybe 1 RBS at 30 feet or more. You maybe over saturating with having two RBS online which will cause problems. I would turn OFF BOTH RBS and test the system out with just the RBR. Then add 1 RBS after testing. 

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch or patch panel in between the RBR and RBS? 

Message 4 of 14

My ISP modem is an Arris, and my connection to my home network is a static IP Address and the device shows the connection as bridged.

I have one device covering the basement, 2nd device covers the main floor. They are offset on the floor plan. If you are on the main floor you will actually hit the RBS as your connection device.  It is a direct wired connection to satellite.  As i stated before, connecting an ethernet to the RBR ..full bandwidth.  If i shut  down the RBS and have just the RBR running....still max is 500 Mbps upload and mid 400s Mbps download.  I just reset it.....appears to be slower.  I'm 6 feet from the RBR.  😞

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What device are you using for speed testing next to the RBR? 

Message 6 of 14

The ISP modem is an Arris nVG448BQ.  I'm testing on multiple devices Windows 10 and 11.  Windows 11 is definitely slower.  

The Windows 10 device (Dell with KillerAX 1650 or realtek ethernet) and i can get decent throughput on wired connections on both RBR and RBS.   Wireless...most i can squeeze out on either is 530 Mbps down and 490 Mbps up.    That's after the reset, multiple power downs.  There is no interfering wireless....at least in reasonable signal strength.  Even cutting out the RBS, I still suffer the same issue.  Wired performance is acceptable.  Wireless is not.  I was expecting the move to 1 Gbps download would be 800-900 Mbps down on wireless.  I've also tested with broadcom wireless (N) ...and i get about the same speed as i do on an AX enabled wireless.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Might try option #2 first...

Might ask the ISP if this router can be removed and use the RBR as your main host router as well. 

Message 8 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@Orbi_in_Orbit wrote:

Wireless...most i can squeeze out on either is 530 Mbps down and 490 Mbps up.    That's after the reset, multiple power downs.  There is no interfering wireless....at least in reasonable signal strength.  Even cutting out the RBS, I still suffer the same issue.  Wired performance is acceptable.  Wireless is not.  I was expecting the move to 1 Gbps download would be 800-900 Mbps down on wireless.  I've also tested with broadcom wireless (N) ...and i get about the same speed as i do on an AX enabled wireless.

Wireless has limits, even with wi-fi 6.  I don't think you should expect speeds much more than 600 Mbps, and that's the max under even ideal conditions (which are usually not the case).

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually for WiFi6 you can get near 900mpbs and over that as well. Depends on client device support and antenna MIMO confguration. 

I've see 700Mpbs on my iphone and constantly see over 900Mbps with a RAXE500 in wireless bridge mode set up as a client.

Message 10 of 14

Hi.

There isn't a double NAT. Router is configured with a static IP address and port 1 on modem is bridged.  Like I said....close to full bandwidth internally as on wired.... wireless just blows.  A wireless N device gets the same throughput as a wireless AX device. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to check the connection rates seen on each wireless devices while connected at the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS so your devices are not connecting to them for now. Check the Mfrs support for supported maximum connection rates for there products. If there AC or  AX supporting on 5Ghz, they should be connecting at 1300Mbps at least and may see 2400Mpbs on AX. Even at 1300Mpbs, speeds usually seen on the down will be around 700Mpbs. 2400Mpbs, you should be seeing near 900Mpbs or over. Again depending upon antenna MIMO configuration, 2x2 is ok however is usually limited to lower speeds and generally won't see anything near 900Mpbs. 4x4 antenna configurations you should need 900Mpbs and over if all is working right. 

Distance and building materials will be another factor and speeds even at 4x4 connection rates will fall off some. 

Just sitting here with my Mac Book Pro AC from my RBR9 series  at a distance, its getting around 300 to high  300s however it's connected rate is only 400something. At close range it connects at 1300Mpbs which is it's max rate. 

Message 12 of 14

I've already done that test.  I'm sitting 6 feet in front of the satellite, i know I'm connected to it.  464 Mbps down and 497 Mbps up.  Rarely it will go over 500 Mbps.  Since i'm testing with multiple AX devices and they all exhibit the same issue, I'm doubtful this is client side at this point.  If I have the router only running.... same experience.   Thanks for your help...but I'll be shopping for  a new solution.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements