Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 rebooting multiple times/day

JulianHa
Guide

RBR850 rebooting multiple times/day

I am 16 months into the journey with the RBR850 and my manageable stability (1 spontaneous reboot of the RBR850/day) has moved to multiple, sometimes multiple per hour.
I am running the current official FW on the RBR and two RBS850 and the only other change i made was adding a guestwifi.
NG support taking me through the mind!numbing factory reset sequence, etc.
power supply has been switched out, measured, etc., but issue seems somewhat predictable and repeatable, like some stack overflow issue (just like the DHCP table limits i had earlier)
Open to any suggestions for others who have already been thru this
Thx
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
JulianHa
Guide

Re: RBR850 rebooting multiple times/day

Yep - more than a day of uptime! sounds like victory, but ... 🙂 Anyway, good to go and now i just have toe figure out a VPN solution.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version you on? There's a few on the forums that are newer than the release version you could try. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Thanks Plemans,

I am currently on the last 'official' for my product (or at least where my auto updates take me) - namely V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

I have seen the discussion around v4.6.7.5 which i will try to get loaded today as GearHead support again seems to be very 'consumer'. Ran into an issue in teh small hours with the manual RBS upload dialog boxes (browser pop-ups) generating 'blank' when i selected the RBSs for manual upgrades. Will advise on the stability once i get all 3 decvices onto v4.6.7.5
best, JulianHa

Message 3 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

I updated the FW on the RBR850 andf 2 RBS850 to V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

So a brief update after 22 hours. I've had two resets (one i witnessed) and one i saw from the overnight record. I think that is more stable, but not 'stable'.

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What reset? The RBR or RBS?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you power OFF the ISP modem, RBR and RBS for 5 mniutes then back on after the FW update or did you do a full on factory reset? 

@JulianHa wrote:

I updated the FW on the RBR850 andf 2 RBS850 to V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

So a brief update after 22 hours. I've had two resets (one i witnessed) and one i saw from the overnight record. I think that is more stable, but not 'stable'.

Message 5 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38 Thanks for tresponding.
Yetsreday when i was there to see it the reset was teh RBR850. I say that as it went through the flashing white light start-up. The one overnight i can't say as i'm (possibly sadly) using a nest camera) as my proxy for netgear drops. If you have a more precise way of telling then feel free to direct me.
The path from cable entry is cat6 from Netgear CM1000 ->  Linksys WRT3200ACM (as an ethernet pass through (no WiFi etc, flashed as ExpressVPN) -> RBR850. I have one Netgear GS105 L2 switches in the path
Typical number of devcies connected is c. 60-70 (per my IP scanner) and the RBR/RBS reports a number around 40 typically. Blend of wired and wireless. One RBS850 is ethernet backhaul and one is Wireless connected to the RBR. Both around 50' distant with 'good' connection status. House is about 3500sqft 2 level with good space to neightbours
The current set up variables are:
   AX on 5GHz only
   2.4GHX on 11, CTS 2347

5GHz on 48, CTS of 512
   Guest network handling external devices from solar/battery

Set to Router mode

Hope that helps. I have changed out PSu for the RBR and tried w and w/o the UPS providing power and that seems not to be cuasing the blips.
Thx in advance

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

@JulianHa wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 Thanks for tresponding.
Yetsreday when i was there to see it the reset was teh RBR850. I say that as it went through the flashing white light start-up. The one overnight i can't say as i'm (possibly sadly) using a nest camera) as my proxy for netgear drops. If you have a more precise way of telling then feel free to direct me.
The path from cable entry is cat6 from Netgear CM1000 ->  Linksys WRT3200ACM<Lets remove this router please (as an ethernet pass through (no WiFi etc, flashed as ExpressVPN) -> RBR850. I have one Netgear GS105 L2 switches in the path
Typical number of devcies connected is c. 60-70 (per my IP scanner) and the RBR/RBS reports a number around 40 typically. Blend of wired and wireless. One RBS850 is ethernet backhaul and one is Wireless connected to the RBR. Both around 50' distant with 'good' connection status. House is about 3500sqft 2 level with good space to neightbours
The current set up variables are:
   AX on 5GHz only Reenable on 2.4G
   2.4GHX on 11, CTS 2347 Set back to 64

5GHz on 48, CTS of 512 Set back to 64
   Guest network handling external devices from solar/battery

Set to Router mode

Hope that helps. I have changed out PSu for the RBR and tried w and w/o the UPS providing power and that seems not to be cuasing the blips.
Thx in advance

Netgear CM1000 -> RBR850-> RBS

Or if you need the Linksys in the mix, configure the RBR for AP mode instead of router mode: CM1000 -> Linksys WRT3200ACM -> RBR850(AP mode)

Message 7 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion @FURRYe38 and I will try that this evening, but i have my whole house is going through the VPN, as I am not a fan of exposing my traffic to my ISP (FCC ruling relaxation on ISP ability to monitor and monetize consumer internet habits)

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Then configure AP mode on the RBR. This should stop the rebooting I hoping. 

You can try putting the RBR in the Linksys DMZ as well if you want to keep both in router mode. Not sure if this will stop the reboots if the Linksys is still online. It may. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 9 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Thanks again @FURRYe38,
I will give these steps a whirl overnight once the network becomes less mission essential for the house. 
By putting the RBR850 into AP mode, i presume you mean moving the DHCP issuance role to the Linksys. If so, then 'OK' and i can see.

On a related note, can you help me conceptually understand why the RBR might have issues that would cause a crash/reset from something on the 'incoming' intenet side of the chain? I had assumed that at worst it would say 'unable to connect to the internet', but to me (as  a s/w & H/W eng) it seems it shouldn't just reset unless a watchdogh or similar out of spec event happens in its code.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be anything at this point. My hopes is that the double NAT issue maybe the primary cause. Either using the DMZ on the Linksys for the RBR in router mode or configuring the RBR for AP mode will fix the reboot thing. Have two routers on the same line can cause various problems. And we don't know the status and condition of the Linksys router as well. It's FW up to date? Thats a moderatly older router and going on in age. I personally bailed Linksys about 10 years ago due to them not updating FW and leaving bugs behind on the WRT1900 series. I still have my WRT1900AC I use once in a while as a wireless client. Taking this out of the mix and testing should see results. 

Message 11 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Thanks again @FURRYe38 

The Linksys is up to date but ultimately flashed with ExpressVPN code as that is the function. i have switched off just about everythign on teh linksys. BTW - i'm using the 3200 as it has the most horsepower to process the encrypt/decrypt and leave me with at least reasonable up/down bandwidth. Will see if i can verify or resolve the possible NAT conflcts and see if that gets me stable

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this?

Did you remove the Linksys router or leave it on line and put the RBR in to the Linksys DMZ or Configure AP mode on the RBR with the Linksys in router mode? 

@JulianHa wrote:

The Linksys is up to date but ultimately flashed with ExpressVPN code as that is the function. i have switched off just about everythign on teh linksys. BTW - i'm using the 3200 as it has the most horsepower to process the encrypt/decrypt and leave me with at least reasonable up/down bandwidth. Will see if i can verify or resolve the possible NAT conflcts and see if that gets me stable

Message 14 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Hi FURRYe38,

I had to remove it in the end. I had one of those fun conversations with ExpressVPN's support folks where we explored all conceiveable mitigations to nought. There flashed s/w has limited capability, so no DMZ, no other approaches we could get to, so i have taken the flashed Linksys WRT3200ACM out of the path leaving the ISP gateway CM1000 connected into RBR850. 
Since taking it out, the only unforced reset on the RBR was at 11.15pm, so 12 hours ago. That's a big improvement, but not pristine. 70 devices connected.

At the same time i'm researching VPN options H/W, withing RBR850s openVPN and others to get things back behind a wall. Open to suggestions, but again would need to be a service provider model at teh other end of the pipe (e.g. express or Nord, etc.)
Call me paranoid, but i believe in makign my security better than those who aren't.

best, julian

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a shame theres no DMZ. 

Sounds like the reboots are fixed. I hope. 

Ya, you'll find something in regards to VPN. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 18
JulianHa
Guide

Yep - more than a day of uptime! sounds like victory, but ... 🙂 Anyway, good to go and now i just have toe figure out a VPN solution.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yay. Glad it's working. Im sure you'll find something.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

And Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7