Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 still losing internet connection several times a week

ottopaulsen
Tutor

RBR850 still losing internet connection several times a week

All info on previously closed case.

I am still loosing internet connection several times every week.

The thing is that it ALWAYS helps to reboot the router, or even logging in and running Internet setup test gets the connection back up.

So WHY cannot the damn router try reconnecting when the connection has been down for a while?

Today I thought I should check the logs before I restarted, but what did I find there? Absolutely nothing except from what DHCP connections have been made the last 5 minutes. This is totally useless.

I am extremely disappointed after buying the most expensive mesh network I could find, and it looses connections so often. My previous router NEVER lost connection, so don't blame the line.

Is there ANY way to find out what the real problem is?

Message 1 of 12
ottopaulsen
Tutor

Ok, thanks. Guess I have to try this.

I have 32 devices with fixed IP, based on mac address. Is there a way to export and import them, so I don't have to enter one by one through that tedious interface?

Otto

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Can try loading the config file and see, if problem continues, i'd try reset and do a test with out loading the backup from file. 

@ottopaulsen wrote:

Ok, thanks. Guess I have to try this.

I have 32 devices with fixed IP, based on mac address. Is there a way to export and import them, so I don't have to enter one by one through that tedious interface?

Otto

Message 4 of 12
ottopaulsen
Tutor

Now it is done, so let's wait and see.

I entered everything manually.

Please keep this open until I have tested at least a month or two.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 12
ottopaulsen
Tutor

So this lasted a couple of months. It worked much better in the beginning. I guess I had to restart 1-2 times during the first 6-8 weeks. Now I am back where I started, losing internet several times a week the last couple of weeks. As usual, a restart of the router solved the problem, but having to do this almost daily is not acceptable.

I am beginning to want to return the hardware. Are these problems reasons enough?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd review this since it's been a while since you first posted:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 8 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ottopaulsen wrote:

So this lasted a couple of months. It worked much better in the beginning. I guess I had to restart 1-2 times during the first 6-8 weeks. Now I am back where I started, losing internet several times a week the last couple of weeks. As usual, a restart of the router solved the problem, but having to do this almost daily is not acceptable.

I am beginning to want to return the hardware. Are these problems reasons enough?

Check Orbi DHCP lease time for its WAN IP address. If it's 2 days, change it to "2 weeks" or "forever" and see if that helps.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@SW_ wrote:

Check Orbi DHCP lease time for its WAN IP address. If it's 2 days, change it to "2 weeks" or "forever" and see if that helps.

The IP address lease from the ISP is determined by the ISP (and displayed on the Advanced Tab under "Internet Port" in the Box "Connection Status".  It cannot be changed by the user.

ISP's typically set the DHCP lease time for a substantial period, such as one day (86,400 seconds) to reduce the amount of network traffic hitting their DHCP servers.  It is also a common practice when networks are about to reallocate IP addresses to reduce the DHCP lease to a very short value so that a network change can be accomplished in a short time frame (usually in the middle of the night).  Once done, the DHCP lease time is returned to a longer period.  Either way, there is nothing the user can do to affect the DHCP lease time.

Message 10 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, you're right.  My Orbi is in AP mode and its WAN port IP address lease time is 0.

Message 11 of 12
ottopaulsen
Tutor

Ok, i now installed firmware version 4.6.7.5.

I think this will be my last attempt.

If it does not work I will return the HW.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7