Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 v4.6.3.16_2.0.51 constant disconnect and reconnect

AmCovi2021
Follower

RBR850 v4.6.3.16_2.0.51 constant disconnect and reconnect

Woke up to a solid magenta light on my Orbi.  I updated the firmware and have restarted it twice.  The orbi connects to the internet and I have a good WiFi signal then it drops back off.  My wired connection is still functioning properly.  I work from home and need both the WiFi and wired connections to work.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 v4.6.3.16_2.0.51 constant disconnect and reconnect

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

I am having the same issue. Havent run into any problems in the last 30 days. RBR850 is in AP mode, router is currently online. It is strange that the issue is only occuring for this device while the orbi is put into AP mode (which is required for my current internet setup). I have only had this problem since the last automatic update (Running (4.6.3.16_2.0.51) as well).

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

@Sedulity wrote:

I am having the same issue. Havent run into any problems in the last 30 days. RBR850 is in AP mode, router is currently online. It is strange that the issue is only occuring for this device while the orbi is put into AP mode (which is required for my current internet setup). I have only had this problem since the last automatic update (Running (4.6.3.16_2.0.51) as well).

Message 4 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

@Sedulity wrote:

Yes, multiple factory resets were already performed this morning. After the resets the issues persisted only while the RBR850 devices were in AP mode. Logging in and switching back to router mode fixed the constant disconnects from all other appliances. I would like to restore my network to its original configuration where the RBR850 is in AP mode. No changes were made to upstream appliances and there also weren't any updates pushed to them. I have kept the same network configuration with the Orbi devices for the last ~1-2 years so it seems a little odd my work from home setup gets broken from 1 update.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you have a upstream router, you can do this and revert back to v3 if you like:

NOTE: Have the prior RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your PC. 

Downgrade the RBS FIRST. You don't have to do this on the RBS. 

This is only needed on the RBR when lastly downgrading back to v3. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...

@Sedulity wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Sedulity wrote:

Yes, multiple factory resets were already performed this morning. After the resets the issues persisted only while the RBR850 devices were in AP mode. Logging in and switching back to router mode fixed the constant disconnects from all other appliances. I would like to restore my network to its original configuration where the RBR850 is in AP mode. No changes were made to upstream appliances and there also weren't any updates pushed to them. I have kept the same network configuration with the Orbi devices for the last ~1-2 years so it seems a little odd my work from home setup gets broken from 1 update.

Message 6 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

I was able to successfully fix the issue and return to normal AP mode usage by downgrading to (V3.2.18.1). Both firmware versions (4.6.3.16) and (4.6.3.9) appear to have issues with intermittent device connectivity in AP mode in my current testing. Resolving this issue in my home setup consisted of the following steps:

1. Download firmware for the impacted devices (RBR850/RBS850) from (https://kb.netgear.com/000063918/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-9).
  2. Ensure both RBS and RBR update zip files are downloaded and extract them into their own folders.
  3. Block (updates1.netgear.com) to prevent auto updates from reinstalling the newer firmware thereby causing the same issue.
  4. Login to your router while connected to wifi or ethernet (routerlogin.net). This may be a static IP depending on your current local network setup.
  5. Browse to (Advanced > Administration > Firmware update > Manual update).
  6. Update the Satellites first by checking both check boxes and clicking update if you have multiple satellites (Multiple browser windows should pop up for each satellite).
  7. Click browse and choose the corresponding .chk update file for the sattelites (ex. RBS850-V3.2.18.1-signed.chk)
  8. Click "update" confirm the downgrade prompt, and wait for reboots.
  9. Conduct the same actions (5>8) for the primary router.
  10. Hopefully enjoy your functional appliance until the next time you need to update.
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume for #3 are have a primary upstream router where you do this? 

@Sedulity wrote:

I was able to successfully fix the issue and return to normal AP mode usage by downgrading to (V3.2.18.1). Both firmware versions (4.6.3.16) and (4.6.3.9) appear to have issues with intermittent device connectivity in AP mode in my current testing. The resolving this issue in my home setup consisted of the following steps:

1. Download firmware for the impacted devices (RBR850/RBS850) from (https://kb.netgear.com/000063918/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-9).
  2. Ensure both RBS and RBR update zip files are downloaded and extract them into their own folders.
  3. Block (updates1.netgear.com) to prevent auto updates from reinstalling the newer firmware thereby causing the same issue.
  4. Login to your router while connected to wifi or ethernet (routerlogin.net). This may be a static IP depending on your current local network setup.
  6. Update the Satellites first by checking both check boxes and clicking update if you have multiple satellites (Multiple browser windows should pop up for each satellite).
  7. Click browse and choose the corresponding .chk update file for the sattelites (ex. RBS850-V3.2.18.1-signed.chk)
  10. Hopefully enjoy your functional appliance until the next time you need to update.

Message 8 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I presume for #3 are have a primary upstream router where you do this? 

@Sedulity wrote:

I was able to successfully fix the issue and return to normal AP mode usage by downgrading to (V3.2.18.1). Both firmware versions (4.6.3.16) and (4.6.3.9) appear to have issues with intermittent device connectivity in AP mode in my current testing. The resolving this issue in my home setup consisted of the following steps:

Correct, I blocked the domain at the updstream appliance to prevent auto update from attempting to upgrade the appliances after the downgrade.

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you seeing a Service Unreachable message when you check for FW updates? You should if it's working.

Message 10 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you seeing a Service Unreachable message when you check for FW updates? You should if it's working.

I am getting (Service unreachable) when checking for updates now after putting the block in place.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious what upstream router brand and model are you using? 

@Sedulity wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I am getting (Service unreachable) when checking for updates now after putting the block in place.

Message 12 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just curious what upstream router brand and model are you using? 

@Sedulity wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I use the firewalla gold as my upstream router. (REF: https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-gold). This device is running the latest stable release (1.973) with app version (1.47.94).

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious does your front LED on the RBR turn on PINK any when you block?

Been playing around with my 850 for last day and a half. Seems that if I block that URL, front LED on mine turns ON. 

If in router mode, nothing gets internet. RBRs web page reports "ERROR: Not Connected"

If in AP modem, I get internet. RBRs web page reports "ERROR: Not Connected"

Tried several different upstream routers to see what would happen. 

Message 15 of 21
Sedulity
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just curious does your front LED on the RBR turn on PINK any when you block?

Been playing around with my 850 for last day and a half. Seems that if I block that URL, front LED on mine turns ON. 

If in router mode, nothing gets internet. RBRs web page reports "ERROR: Not Connected"

If in AP modem, I get internet. RBRs web page reports "ERROR: Not Connected"

Tried several different upstream routers to see what would happen. 

I do not have any issues or have any LED colors shown with the blocks in place on my router or the satellites. The only time I run into issues is when on versions (4.6.3.16) and (4.6.3.9) in AP mode. I will get magenta lights on my satellites and the devices connected to any of the orbi appliances (router or satellite) will repeatedly disconnect every ~20 seconds or so. I do not have any errors logging into the web portal of the orbi devices between any of the versions with the blocks in place.

DNS lookups from the orbi devices in the last ~3 hours show the following:

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com (blocked by updates1.netgear.com rule)

devcom.up.netgear.com

netgear-devrecog.fing.io

Do you happen to be putting in blocks for the netgear.com domain as a whole or just (updates1.netgear.com)? I wonder why blocking a subdomain would cause the orbi to ignore requests it is supposed to forward or route (depending on config (AP vs Router)).

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Just using updates1.netgear.com 

I thought maybe I might by the routers i'm using blocking incorrectly or too much. I tried three newer routers and two old routers. I'm ow using an old Linksys WRT1900AC as its simple name server address input. 

Ya I tried those as well. I'm getting Service Unreachable but the front LED remains ON and the error on the RBRs web page. 

I found IP addresses from wireshark for those and updates1.netgear.com so I could use IPs instead of name servers still get same thing.

Wondering if I have special needs Orbi. Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy 

Well just tried my 7 series Orbi as well in router mode. Same thing, Error and internet stops with just blocking updates1.netgear.com. Smiley Frustrated

Well, it's not immediately important for me as I was only checking to ensure blocking works for at least thoughs who wanna get there Orbis working. I was able to downgrade to v18.1. If it's working for others, thats fine. 

I did remember I have an old NG FVS336G Firewall device I might try later on. It's old but just for testing sake. 

Hopinng NG will correct issues seen in v4. It's been a big mess. Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 21
RC-RC
Aspirant

how did you fix the problem? i still have the same problem. I have tride a factory reset, restart etc. but nothing is working?

Message 18 of 21
RC-RC
Aspirant

@netgear when do you release a firmware update where the problem is fixed? timelins please!

Setup: 1 x RBR850 -> 2 x wired RBS850

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, @ netgear hasn't log into there profile account since 2015 so probably no use in tagging them. If you want to tag someone, try a forum moderator like @ blanca_o or @ darrenM

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on 8 series:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

New Orbi v4 Factory Reset:
You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@RC-RC wrote:

@netgear when do you release a firmware update where the problem is fixed? timelins please!

Setup: 1 x RBR850 -> 2 x wired RBS850

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@AmCovi2021 wrote:

Woke up to a solid magenta light on my Orbi.  I updated the firmware and have restarted it twice.  The orbi connects to the internet and I have a good WiFi signal then it drops back off.  My wired connection is still functioning properly.  I work from home and need both the WiFi and wired connections to work.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7