Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 wont connect to satellite in AP mode

miller1975
Tutor

RBR850 wont connect to satellite in AP mode

I have an RBR850 & RBS850 configured in AP mode and I am having some issue

When I check for new firmware it tells me there is no internet access so I manually upgrade (when I remember)

I have upgraded from version 3.4 to 4.6.3.16 now when I am in AP mode the satellite wont sync at all, if I change it to router mode it will sync but when I go back to AP it losses it.

I also had it setup as ethernet backhaul but now when using ethernet it works but shows the ORBI19 SSID and I use a custom one so they don’t match

I have read quite a few posts with similar issues but I am yet to find a solution

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 9
jjeune
Initiate

Yup, I too have been having the same issue since 4.6.3.16 was automatically pushed to my RBR850 router + 3 RBS850 satellites over a week ago.

I had been using the router in AP mode and woke up one morning only to notice that all WiFI devices would not hold their connection with the SSID with constant drops and reconnects. When I switched it back to router mode, it works fine but I don't want and cannot use it as such because I already have a router and this really impact operations in my network.

I have tried to no avail the recommended solution in the response and turned off (power off by disconnecting power source) the RBR and the 3 RBS for over 12 hours. One interesting I noticed is that every time it is in AP mode, it seems to also broadcast the default guest SSID  set on the RBR even though I turn off and never configure guest SSID on the RBR.

This FW is simply faulty and bad. It should not take all this throubleshooting effort by the community to try to address issue caused by a faulty firmware produced by Netgear. Also, why push the firmware automatically without user's consent??

I work in a software organization and understand that software is never perfect but at a minimum, Netgear should provide an update and let their customers know about the issues with this FW and provide rollback steps to put us back on a stable FW.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

NOTE: Have the prior RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your PC. You'll need to perform this on each RBS first, then RBR lastly.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...
Follow normal Manual FW update process to select the v3 FW file.

On your host router, block any FW udpates using the following:

Keyword Block set to "Always"

b. Add the following key words:
http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com

@jjeune wrote:

Yup, I too have been having the same issue since 4.6.3.16 was automatically pushed to my RBR850 router + 3 RBS850 satellites over a week ago.

I had been using the router in AP mode and woke up one morning only to notice that all WiFI devices would not hold their connection with the SSID with constant drops and reconnects. When I switched it back to router mode, it works fine but I don't want and cannot use it as such because I already have a router and this really impact operations in my network.

I have tried to no avail the recommended solution in the response and turned off (power off by disconnecting power source) the RBR and the 3 RBS for over 12 hours. One interesting I noticed is that every time it is in AP mode, it seems to also broadcast the default guest SSID  set on the RBR even though I turn off and never configure guest SSID on the RBR.

This FW is simply faulty and bad. It should not take all this throubleshooting effort by the community to try to address issue caused by a faulty firmware produced by Netgear. Also, why push the firmware automatically without user's consent??

I work in a software organization and understand that software is never perfect but at a minimum, Netgear should provide an update and let their customers know about the issues with this FW and provide rollback steps to put us back on a stable FW.

Message 4 of 9
daanjj
Aspirant

The advice here does not work for me. I blocked these 2 URL's on my RBR850 but the router and satellite are still able to check for updates. So I assume they can also download and install updates.

Does anybody have advice for me how to block these checks so I can effectively disable auto-update?

Message 5 of 9
miller1975
Tutor

After downgrading to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 it still wont find the satellite in AP mode so I have no idea what they have done, its obviously not a hardware issue because it works fine in router mode

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you downgrade both rbs and rbr?

@miller1975 wrote:

After downgrading to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 it still wont find the satellite in AP mode so I have no idea what they have done, its obviously not a hardware issue because it works fine in router mode

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't block those URLs ON the RBR. you have to use a different router upstream from the RBR to block URLs.

IF you don't have a upstream router from the RBR, the you have to downgrade to v10 on the RBS and RBR and follow this on the RBR:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307#M186...

@daanjj wrote:

The advice here does not work for me. I blocked these 2 URL's on my RBR850 but the router and satellite are still able to check for updates. So I assume they can also download and install updates.

Does anybody have advice for me how to block these checks so I can effectively disable auto-update?

Message 8 of 9
miller1975
Tutor

@FURRYe38
Yes I downgraded both and factory reset both, also tried turning them off for about 18 hours
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7