Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 : 400 Bad Request while adding Address Reservation

vanshvisuals
Tutor

RBRE960 : 400 Bad Request while adding Address Reservation

Need urgent help. I've a new RBRE960 system with 4 satellites. Internet is working fine. 

I am trying to add an address reservation in Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup. I add the device ( a printer) and then when I click apply, it gives me the "400 Bad Request" error. I have tried multiple browsers (in incognito mode) and multiple computers (Mac and Windows) but same error.

I am trying to avoid the factory reset, as it's a real pain to setup my entire home network which has about 55+ devices connected.

Anyone has had a success resolving this? Please help.

RBRE960. Firmware: V6.0.3.85 

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
vanshvisuals
Tutor

Re: RBRE960 : 400 Bad Request while adding Address Reservation

NO NO. I have 50+ devices connected, but I am only trying to add 2 address to reservations.

Anyways I just reset the entire system and it works magically now. Save firmware as earlier. No idea what was the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@vanshvisuals wrote:

I am trying to add an address reservation in Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup. I add the device ( a printer) and then when I click apply, it gives me the "400 Bad Request" error. I have tried multiple browsers (in incognito mode) and multiple computers (Mac and Windows) but same error.

I have not had similar errors setting up DHCP address reservations with my RBR960.  Are you saying this happens with any device, any IP, or is it specific to this one printer device?  Does it have a weird Device Name string?  Do you have a really long list of reserved addresses (there used to be a bug once you got to ~70 something).  A screenshot of the Address Reservation page before you hit Add may be helpful.

For example, on LAN Setup page where it lists the current devices and their local IPs I usually:

1. Press the Add button at the bottom of the page, below the Address Reservation list.  This takes you to an Address Reservation page that only shows a list of devices within an Address Reservation Table list.
  2. Now select one of the current devices, to autofill the form at the very bottom of the page (IP Address, MAC Address, Device Name).
  3. Now press the Add button at the top of the page to add the new Address Reservation.  Sometimes it takes a while for the web page to return (if you have a lot of reserved addresses).

Message 2 of 11
vanshvisuals
Tutor

Thanks. It gives me the same error with any device I select from the list. The name is simple (Canon). And I follow the same steps as you mentioned. 

1. Click 'Add' at the bottom of the screen on LAN Setup page.

2. Select the device that I need to add, from the list that comes up (attached devices). Once selected, click the Add button at the top of the screen.

3. It comes to the previous screen (LAN Setup) with the new devices added up.

4. Click on the Apply button at the top of the screen. Thats when it gives the error. (If I dont do this step, the reservation will be lost when the router is rebooted). 

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Now would be a good time  to save a copy of the router configuration.

Doing a factory reset is almost trivial when there is a copy of the configuration to reload.

Message 4 of 11
vanshvisuals
Tutor

OK So I've backed up the config. Can you please help how to reset it and use the backed up config file? Never done that. Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

II don't know if a factory reset is the 'next step'.  In my own experience, it is the last option when everything else has failed.

As I recall, this is the procedure:

• Do the Factory Reset (I use a paperclip to press the button hidden behind that tiny 'Reset' hole and wait until the Power LED turns amber and begins to flash).
  • Open a web browser on a computer (I like to use one connected with an Ethernet cable. WiFi will work as well, but that adds the step of connecting the computer to WiFi and reconnecting it again when the router reboots).
  • Enter the IP of the router (usually 192.168.1.1) or http://orbilogin.net 
  • Enter the default admin credentials ("admin", "password")
  • Go through the configuration being careful to:
    • Ignore instructions to get the Orbi app
    • Do not enter the previous WiFi name (SSID), because that will cause every device that is looking for WiFi to connect and get some random IP that you don't want them to have.
    • Ignore anything to do with Armor or Parental controls (there is usually a line in tiny print at the bottom of the page saying "I don't want this"
    • Ignore instructions about Registering the product with Netgear
  • Very soon a screen will come up with choices to
    • Restore a saved configuration, or
    • Enter a configuration manually
  • Browse to the location where the configuration is saved. Select the file. Apply.
  • After the configuration is loaded, the router will reboot (two minutes) and when it comes back up, the entire configuration is as it was before.  When all devices see the WiFi SSID appear, they will all connect and get the correct IP addresses.

I can do this in under 10 minutes..

Message 6 of 11
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@vanshvisuals 

I have had no issues with assigning Address Reservations on my 960, but I don't have quite as many as you do.

I'm wondering if you hit some limitation on the number of reserved addresses.  49 seems to be an odd number, but you never know how things may be coded.

Can you try deleting one of the other reserved addresses, hitting apply, and then try to add the printer's reserved address again and see if it takes it.  If so, try and add the one that worked properly and that you deleted, and see if it gives you the error again.   If it is constantly giving you the error on the 50th entry - then I think it may be a limitation issue  or a coding issue and not something specific to that address or device.

If it is a limitation/coding issue - it's something that will need to be addressed with engineers to fix/change code.   For a device this powerful to have a limitation of 49 reserved addresses seems pretty strange - but I've seen stranger things.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try on your Orbi system that I do on mine. Set the DHCP IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 to .200. 

@vanshvisuals wrote:

Need urgent help. I've a new RBRE960 system with 4 satellites. Internet is working fine. 

I am trying to avoid the factory reset, as it's a real pain to setup my entire home network which has about 55+ devices connected.

Anyone has had a success resolving this? Please help.

RBRE960. Firmware: V6.0.3.85 

Message 8 of 11
vanshvisuals
Tutor

NO NO. I have 50+ devices connected, but I am only trying to add 2 address to reservations.

Anyways I just reset the entire system and it works magically now. Save firmware as earlier. No idea what was the problem.

Message 9 of 11
vanshvisuals
Tutor

Mine is set to 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.200.

Anyways, I just reset the entire system and it works magically now. Save firmware as earlier. No idea what was the problem.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Odd for sure. I've not seen that either.

50+ devices would fit in a smaller IP address pool range. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7