Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBRE960 Internet connection lost

vblack
Guide

RBRE960 Internet connection lost

Hi.

I have experience very strange situation with my RBRE960 system. It is loosing internet connection almost every day, sometimes twice a day (no internet, red LED light). To restore connection all I have to do is unplug internet cable and plug it back. Same behavior I have with my previous RBR850, which I switched to new RBRE960 hoping that this annoying issue is gone, but it is not.

Surprisingly that my first Orbi SRR60 - does not have this issue, neither other company WiFi router - internet stable for weeks on exactly same setup (even same LAN cable).

My current setup:

RBRE960 FW V6.0.3.85_3.1.15

Internet connection - LAN (UTP5e cable from provider, no any auth, just DHCP)

I have tried everything - resetting router, change Internet parameters to static IP (just in case).

Is there any way to see what is going on, why internet connection is lost ? How to fix this ?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this system within the 90 days of "complimentary support"?  The 960 is a highly visible product, and if you are able to contact support they will probably be very interested. There is probably a way to turn on a "debug log" that will provide Netgear support with information to work on the problem.

One important factor will be the specific Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

CAT6 STP or CAT6A STP is recommended for the RBR. 

@vblack wrote:

Hi.

I have experience very strange situation with my RBRE960 system. It is loosing internet connection almost every day, sometimes twice a day (no internet, red LED light). To restore connection all I have to do is unplug internet cable and plug it back. Same behavior I have with my previous RBR850, which I switched to new RBRE960 hoping that this annoying issue is gone, but it is not.

Surprisingly that my first Orbi SRR60 - does not have this issue, neither other company WiFi router - internet stable for weeks on exactly same setup (even same LAN cable).

My current setup:

I have tried everything - resetting router, change Internet parameters to static IP (just in case).

Is there any way to see what is going on, why internet connection is lost ? How to fix this ?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 13
vblack
Guide

There is no modem. I have direct connection to ISP via twisted pair cable, in my case it is UTP 5e, on the ISP side it is probably media-converter to  optic cable (it is usual in our area) Cat6 STP required to achieve stable 2.5G, but not necessary for 1G. I doubt it is a cable problem, rather Orbi has some strange reaction on something on network, probably a bug somewhere in protocols. Because it is require physical link re-initialization to resolve, but without Router reboot!

As @CrimpOn suggested I trying to contact Netgear support, but this router was pre-owned, So I need to resolve a serial number registration issue first to do that. Then I will know is there something left from 90 days complimentary support.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

CAT6 STP or CAT6A STP is recommended for the RBR. 

@vblack wrote:

Hi.

My current setup:

Thank you.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support for additional help and information.

Also brand and model of the ONT maybe helpful as well. 

Message 5 of 13
vblack
Guide

So, I have registered my product. But unfortunately 90-days support has expired.

I have reproduced issue with debug on and collect a logs while issue is still there (No internet connection) and after I re-plug Ethernet cable (and Internet connection appeared).

Only option I have now is to by 6 month support for 90 USD ?

Of course I could try to use ugly workaround with buying some other (not NG) router to put it before and switch Orbi into AP, but this would be very bad solution for an $1.5K system... 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I've passed this on to NG for review. 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

When did you buy this system? 

Message 8 of 13
vblack
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When did you buy this system? 

Thank you for passing this to NG,

I bought it April 2, 2022 on ebay as "Opened, returned to store", but according to the registration data (after it appear in my NG account) - it was originally bought 5 Dec 2021.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for the additional info.

Message 10 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

It doesn't seem that we can explain why your RBRE960 system would not be able to refresh its upstream DHCP connection.  It might be something in the firmware, but that would just be a guess and other RBRE960 owners running the same V6.0.3.85_3.1.15 firmware version are not seeing these daily disconnects.

You've already tried factory resetting the Orbi.  Your UTP5e cable shouldn't matter, but it's still worth trying a different cable just to remove that possibility (and because it's one of the remaining things to try).

I would suggest RMA'ing your Orbi in case what got off of Ebay has some hardware fault, but you said your Orbi RBR850 system experienced the same daily disconnect behavior.  That seems to point to something specific in your environment.  What is your ISP and what is the brand and model of the ONT?  Knowing that might reveal other clues and we can search the internet for other mentions. 

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, one of the 'downsides' to purchasing a previously owned (i.e. used) router is no warranty.  Thus, no RMA.

Section 24 of Netgear's Terms and Conditions:

24.    LIMITED DEVICE WARRANTIES AND REFURBISHED PRODUCT WARRANTY FOR REGISTERED PRODUCTS

24.1    Registration. Notwithstanding other provisions in this Agreement, NETGEAR warrants to the original purchaser that if You register Your new device online with NETGEAR, the device will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of original retail purchase (“Limited Device Warranty”). For more specific instructions on how to register Your NETGEAR device and warranty details, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/.

I agree that the cable should not be an issue.  If the cable is faulty, then "no connection", not loss of internet 4-5 times per day.

I also agree that this must be connected to the specific ISP (and perhaps to a specific service area for that ISP).

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@vblack wrote:

So, I have registered my product. But unfortunately 90-days support has expired.

I have reproduced issue with debug on and collect a logs while issue is still there (No internet connection) and after I re-plug Ethernet cable (and Internet connection appeared).

Only option I have now is to by 6 month support for 90 USD ?

Of course I could try to use ugly workaround with buying some other (not NG) router to put it before and switch Orbi into AP, but this would be very bad solution for an $1.5K system... 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7