Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBRE960 IoT Network Slow

markfMK
Guide

RBRE960 IoT Network Slow

hi,  I’ve had the RBRE960 for a few weeks and getting amazing speeds from the main network. However, I’m having problems with the IOT network, both in terms of speed and the fact that it keeps dropping out.  - Speeds less that 20mb down on 2.4ghz

Anyone else experience the same and found a solution ?

thanks

Mark

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure of the IoT network portion of the system has fast performances as the main wireless networks. The IoT is mostly for IoT items that don't need fast speeds, just to get connected and be used. Most IoT devices don't need lots of speed. 

Message 2 of 7
markfMK
Guide

Agreed on the speed part. It’s more on its stability compared to the main network
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power OFF of the RBR for 1 minute then back ON since last FW update been performed? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@markfMK wrote:
Agreed on the speed part. It’s more on its stability compared to the main network

How is your IoT's instability exhibiting itself?  I have intermittent issues where after a few days or a week, my IoT network seems to stop accepting connections.  I can see it in my iPhone but trying to connect tells me that my password is incorrect.  I have to restart my Orbi to get the IoT networking working again, but eventually it happens again.

I engaged Netgear support earlier this year for this issue but we didn't get anywhere, I couldn't reproduce it at will, and it didn't happen during the support engagement so I let them close the ticket.  I've not bothered to engage with them again since it remain intermittent and I can restart the Orbi weekly.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

There is only one set of 2.4G radio and antennas.  All that is different is Netgear has added a third 2.4G SSID (primary, guest, IoT).  The only way that the IoT network would have slower speeds is if the SSID broadcast was modified to advertise only slower speeds.  It is not trivial to capture WiFi broadcast packets, so this is not easy to verify.  (If I had a 960, I would know in an hour..... but I don't)

Devices connected to the primary or guest networks at 2.4G exhibit different "Link Rates" than those connected to the IoT network?

As for the WiFi network 'disappearing', is that all of the 2.4G WiFi networks, or only the IoT?

Message 6 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@CrimpOn wrote:

There is only one set of 2.4G radio and antennas.  All that is different is Netgear has added a third 2.4G SSID (primary, guest, IoT).

Good point.  I didn't realize that while the AXE has an extra 5Ghz radio, I think for IoT, it still only has one 2.4Ghz radio.

Simultaneous quad-band WiFi
 - Radio 1: IEEE® 802.11b/g/n/ax 2.4GHz — 1024-QAM support
 - Radio 2: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz — 1024-QAM support
 - Radio 3: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz — 1024-QAM support
 - Radio 4: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 6GHz — 1024-QAM support

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements