Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 SSID Broadcasting

gumpgump
Guide

RBRE960 SSID Broadcasting

Is there a configuration option to NOT broadcast our SSIDs?   I can't find it, and I wonder if there's a good reason why this option isn't present.

Message 1 of 5
gumpgump
Guide

Re: RBRE960 SSID Broadcasting

This is for the RBRE960, which the product lookup here can't even find (go figure).

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

This feature was common on early WiFi routers.  The first generation of Orbi products (RBR50) had (and still has) this option.

When the second generation Orbi was introduced (AX) this option disappeared.  None of the succeeding Orbi products have this feature.

It was common (some time ago) to recommend "hiding" the WiFi SSID as some sort of security measure. "If they don't know your SSID they can't hack you."  This turned out to be incorrect.  Anyone with almost primitive hacking skills can learn the WiFi SSID very quickly.  The security comes from having a very strong WiFi password.  And, even then, hackers with the skill and patience can break the most common security systems on residential routers.

I have no clue what caused Netgear to remove this option.  My own feeling is, "If the customer wants to do this, let him do it." Doesn't matter if it actually does nothing for security.  I would also let the customer assign different SSIDs to 2.4G and 5G WiFi.

Unlike Elon, however, I do not own any companies, and Netgear doesn't ask my opinion on anything.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@gumpgump wrote:

This is for the RBRE960, which the product lookup here can't even find (go figure).

That's because whoever set up the search system used  RBKE9xx (K for "Kit") and did not create an entry for the router by itself.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No. One reason is that the RBS need a connectable SSID name to conenct to and sync to. Would take a more complex programming to make hidden SSIDs work and to ensure that RBS and other devices get connected. I presume this is one overhead that NG doesn't want to employ and avoid unnecessary support for. MESH systems are ment to be online 24/7 and broadcasting all the time and not hidden. Besides, most wifi scanners can find hidden SSIDs if someone was really wanting to and do nefarious things. Most average home users and such are not a high priority. Just be sure your using a good PW on the SSID network. 

@gumpgump wrote:

Is there a configuration option to NOT broadcast our SSIDs?   I can't find it, and I wonder if there's a good reason why this option isn't present.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7