Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS connecting to RBR at only 100 mbps over long Cat5e run

dcraig
Guide

RBS connecting to RBR at only 100 mbps over long Cat5e run

I removed two switches from in between an RBR850 and a RBS850 (wired backhaul) to solve a Guest network problem where the Guest network would not broadcast over the RBS850.  I found that removing the switches solved that problem, but now I have a new one.

The RBS850 is connecting to the RBR850 at only 100 mbps.  The total length of Cat5e between the RBR and RBS is not more than 200 feet, much less than the maximum allowable run for Cat5e.  However, this distance appears to be too much for the RBR and RBS to connect at 1000 mbps.  If I connect a gigabit switch on each end of the Cat5e run, and then conntect the RBR and RBS to those switches, they connect at 1000 mbps.  But then the Guest network will not broadcast on the RBS.  Take the switches out, and direct connect the RBR and RBS, and the connection rate drops to 100 mbps, but then the Guest network will broadcast on the RBS.

Anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
dcraig
Guide

Thanks Fury.  The Cat5e works fine between two gigibit switches, so it appears to be the RBR and RBS having a problem with it.  But I solved the problem with your input from the other post.  With a GS108 switch on each end, and the RBR and RBS connected to the switches, they connect up properly and the Guest network functions as designed.  Luckily I had an extra GS108 to try.  It was the GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch that was causing the problem, even though I had previously disabled all IGMP protocols and green features.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would run CAT6A if your wanting a long run for ethernet. 

I cable you have may not of be good quality for a long run like that.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK53-Guest-Network-No-Internet-and-missing-checkboxes/m-p/...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK53-Guest-Network-No-Internet-and-missing-checkboxes/m-p/...

Message 2 of 4
dcraig
Guide

Thanks Fury.  The Cat5e works fine between two gigibit switches, so it appears to be the RBR and RBS having a problem with it.  But I solved the problem with your input from the other post.  With a GS108 switch on each end, and the RBR and RBS connected to the switches, they connect up properly and the Guest network functions as designed.  Luckily I had an extra GS108 to try.  It was the GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch that was causing the problem, even though I had previously disabled all IGMP protocols and green features.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume the length maybe too long and the switches are helping out by amping some signal. Having just the long wire in between the RBR and RBS the singal may not be good enough and signal is dropping with out the switches. 

Glad the 108s helped. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7