Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 favors "poor" 5G over "good" wired connection

jbauman
Follower

RBS750 favors "poor" 5G over "good" wired connection

Just spent ~2 hours with Netgear tech support, no joy. Figured I'd try here.

Router is the CBR750 with firmware version V4.6.5.8_2.0.54

Satellite is the RBS750 with firmware version V4.6.5.14

These were the latest updates, which these directions told me to download: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Using the router interface on my browser (not the mobile Orbi app), the "Attached Devices" page shows the sallite is connected, but only via 5G. I tried multiple times to reset both units in various ways, per tech support direction. Each time, the satellite would bounce back an forth between "wired" and "5G" connection types before staying on "5G".

Apparently there is no setting to manually change this, which astounds me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS750 favors "poor" 5G over "good" wired connection

There is no setting for satellite to router backhaul link. It is automatic.  When the router detects an ethernet link to a satellite, the connection is changed to 'wired'.  If the wired link disappears, the backhaul connection is changed to 'WiFi'.  (and, if the 5G WiFi link goes bad, then the backhaul link is swiched to the 2.4G channel.

I sense two possibilities:

1. Something is wrong with the ethernet cable or wall jacks.  The test for this is to temporarily move the satellite into the same room as the router and connect them with a good ethernet patch cable.
  2. You have been caught by the "version 4 firmware" problem.  Although the firmware you mentioned is the most recent on the Download page, there is a newer version which is still in the Quality Assurance testing process that has been provided to a number of customers.  Check this post:
  3. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v... 
    Somewhere toward the end of those 202 messages is a link to this newer version.  You might want to try installing that version and see if it helps.
    At the very least, reading through the messages will provide some perspective on the 750router/satellite backhaul link.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7