Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 (2x) and RBR850 (AP) via switch

lars83Berlin
Aspirant

RBS850 (2x) and RBR850 (AP) via switch

Hello all,

I use a RBR 850 in access point mode, as well as 2x RBS 850 which are connected to the RBR 850 by cable via a 24 port switch.

Problem: The RBS 850 are not visible as satellites in the RBR 850 web interface.

In the IOS app only one of the two satellites is currently displayed as connected, the other one has a magenta status (not connected). This morning both were shown as connected after I disconnected the network cable from both RBS and then reconnected them.

In the web interfaces of both RBS I see connected devices.

Now I am unsure if everything is working as it should, the behavior confuses me a bit.

Best regards
Lars

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 (2x) and RBR850 (AP) via switch

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure the RBS and RBR are connection is in the following configuration:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡
The switch should be connected behind the RBR then the RBS to this switch.

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 6
lars83Berlin
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for your reply:

Firmware-Version is:  V4.6.9.11

Ethernet Cables are CAT6

Switch is NETGEAR GS324P

Actual the configuration is:

AVM-Fritzbox as router is connected to the switch, RBR is connected to the switch and RBS are connected to the switch.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Needs to be AVM-Fritzbox as router is connected to the RBR, Then RBR is connected to the switch> and RBS are connected to the switch.

Message 4 of 6
lars83Berlin
Aspirant

Thanks. Will check tomorrow if I can have a second cable between the Room where the Router and Switch are located and the position of the RBR.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This issue has come up before.  Orbi routers expect to find satellites connected to the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

Installing Ethernet cable is not a trivial process.  While the cost of the physical cable is modest, installation can be complicated and expensive (if it can be done at all without ripping open walls and floors).

One user found a creative way to run both the WAN and LAN traffic over a single cable by using two managed switches and VLAN:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disabling-automatic-subnet-reconfig/m-p/2031354#M110164 

He originally posted in the forum over an issue that happened when the firmware on his smart switch was updated.  Once that issue was resolved.  He used Netgear GS108v3 (the v3 is important) which are retailing on Amazon for $40.  A pair of switches thus could easily be less than the cost of hiring an installer to run cable.  And, if the existing 24-port switch supports VLAN, then only one additional switch would be required.

Access mode complicates the situation (a bit) because actual network operation may be fine and the only problem is that the status of satellites and information about which devices are connected to each unit is the only problem.  If that information matters enough to take action (spend money), either (a) another cable or (b) at least one more switch is the solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7