Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 ethernet backhaul connected to switch results in loop warning light on switch

dklimas
Apprentice

RBS850 ethernet backhaul connected to switch results in loop warning light on switch

I've been having internet connection issues for some time now. I've done a lot of troubleshooting for various things over the last couple months or so after updating firmware. I have now discovered that the loop warning light on one of my switches is on. I thought maybe it might have been elsewhere but I'm the only one that configures the network. Sure enough it goes out as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable to the satellite. 

I'm thinking at minimum powering the satellite on and off to see if that fixes it. Maybe a reset? I see that there has since been another firmware update so I'll save that for last.

Any ideas why this would happen? I know there used to be a "wired backhaul" check box for my 700 series Orbi. I assume it's gone now because it switches automatically with the 800 series. Does it reset itself with a power cycle?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 ethernet backhaul connected to switch results in loop warning light on switch

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

How was the RBS connected to the RBR? Wireless sync first then after that, they should connect ok one at a time via ethernet.

What CAT# cable is being used in between the RBR, switch and RBS? 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS850 ethernet backhaul connected to switch results in loop warning light on switch

You really didn't give us much info other than you have an 8 series orbi and a switch. 

What switch is it? 

How do you have everything wired? 

It should go modem/gateway into the RBR850's wan port. Then from the RBR850's lan port to switch/satellites. 

Message 3 of 7
dklimas
Apprentice

Current Firmware V4.6.9.11

Arris S33

All external ethernet Cat7 double shielded except for what was installed in the house when built. Looks to be Cat5e.

Switch Qnap QSW-1108-8T

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

So you're going S33---->rbr850 wan port----->switch------>satellites? 

One thing to try is power off the satellites for a short period of time after the router/switch boots and then boot them up. 

I've seen it with mine where it'll establish a wireless backhaul first and then the wired. Maybe if they boot up after the router/switch, the wired backhaul will default to that. 

Message 5 of 7
dklimas
Apprentice

Yes. I only started having connection issues after the V4.6.9.11 update. I assumed it was understood that everything was connected properly, I apologize if that wasn't clear.

I have powered down everything countless times since updating. But I'm not sure at what point this loop light was on. 

I'm guessing this issue is what's causing my log in credentials at work to be locked after using the VPN for work. 

I will try to power down again, waiting a few moments before powering up the satellites.

Another interesting thing is that the particular satellite that is having the issue is stuck in "please wait a moment" when looking at firmware update page. Which doesn't allow me to update the other satellite or router. I'll eventually try the manual route I guess. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS hasn't been updated, then you'll need to update the RBS first to be sure that it's got same version of FW. This maybe causing the loop led on your switch. If you can get access the RBS web page, then manually update it there. 

Also there is newer version of FW available as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

If you choose to update, be sure you update the RBS first then RBS lastly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7