Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 wired Backhaul with poor wifi performance on 3rd floor

djossma76
Aspirant

RBS850 wired Backhaul with poor wifi performance on 3rd floor

Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this:

I have an RBR850 with 1 satellite. I recently moved the satellite to another position in the second floor of the house, so I could wire it directly to the router. I did the factory reset on the satellite, connected the wire and configured. It shows up in my orbilogin app as connected and the backhaul type is "wired".

I am trying to get the roku express in our 3rd floor bedroom to connect and after a lot of hassle, i get it to connect, but i see a severe drop in signal strength (roku ultra wired directly to router is navigating at 78-80mbps while the signal strength of the roku in the 3rd floor is 5mbps (on a good day).

I am wondering why the connection is so poor and if there might be something I missed in the setup from wireless to wired.

Any helpful tips appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS850 wired Backhaul with poor wifi performance on 3rd floor

WiFi performance is affected by

• Distance between device and WiFi access point
  • Building materials in the direct path.
    I had a situation once where rather than simply passing through a couple of sheets of drywall, there were actually over a dozen 2x8 floor joists that the WiFi signal was attempting to penetrate.

Fortunately, it is relatively simple to test the satellite at various locations.  While the direct Ethernet connection will definitely be better for the connection between router and satellite, perhaps that satellite location is not so great for the Roku WiFi connection.

How about moving the satellite to other locations on the 2nd floor.  As long as the satellite gets a "blue light" (good connection) with the router, you can test the Roku with several satellite locations.

p.s. What is the download rate provided by the Internet Service Provider?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 wired Backhaul with poor wifi performance on 3rd floor

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the RBR and RBS? CAT6 is recommended. 

@djossma76 wrote:

Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this:

I have an RBR850 with 1 satellite. I recently moved the satellite to another position in the second floor of the house, so I could wire it directly to the router. I did the factory reset on the satellite, connected the wire and configured. It shows up in my orbilogin app as connected and the backhaul type is "wired".

I am trying to get the roku express in our 3rd floor bedroom to connect and after a lot of hassle, i get it to connect, but i see a severe drop in signal strength (roku ultra wired directly to router is navigating at 78-80mbps while the signal strength of the roku in the 3rd floor is 5mbps (on a good day).

I am wondering why the connection is so poor and if there might be something I missed in the setup from wireless to wired.

Any helpful tips appreciated.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7