Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbr 750 and powerline

OakenOne
Aspirant

Rbr 750 and powerline

I have a recent Netgear Orbi RBR750 which connects to my BT Home hub 5 and works as expected

I have a TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT 2-Port Passthrough Powerline which works when connected directly to my BTHome hub but not when connected my Orbi.

Does anyone know why, or how i can get the powerline to work when plugged into ORBI.
Thanks in advance
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Rbr 750 and powerline

Is the orbi right next to the hub and using the same power circuit? 

Message 2 of 6
OakenOne
Aspirant

Hi,
Yes they are next to each other and on the same circuit.

All I did was disconnect the Ethernet connector of the powerline from the BT Home hub and connect it to the Orbi. Then I lost the signal down powerline. When I plug the ethernet cable back into the BT Home hub it worked.

If I plug a laptop into the same Orbi ethernet port it works so I know that it works.
Thanks
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

did you unplug both powerline devices and plug them back in when you switched routers? 

Message 4 of 6
OakenOne
Aspirant

I did try switching everything off and then on again hoping that would work but unfortunatly it didn't
Thanks
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@OakenOne wrote:
I have a TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT 2-Port Passthrough Powerline which works when connected directly to my BTHome hub but not when connected my Orbi.

My home network includes three TP-Link TL-PA9020 PowerLine units.

• One unit is connected to a switch that is connected to the Orbi router.
  • One unit is connected to a Tivo unit in the Living Room.
  • One unit is connected to a Tivo Remote in a bedroom.

As far as any computer device is concerned, PowerLine appears to be Ethernet.  All they see is an Ethernet cable connected to an RJ45 jack.

TP-Link PowerLine has a power saving option, that I find irritating.  I use the tpPLC utility to turn that off.  The utility is here for Mac and Windows:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-pa4020p-kit/ 

When I have issues with PowerLine I take a deep breath, sacrifice an AA battery, and set the PowerLink adapters up from scratch.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7