Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbr 750 requires daily reboot

sajid4077
Tutor

Rbr 750 requires daily reboot

Hi,

I have the rbr750 orbi system with 2 satellites. The current firmware is 4.6.8.2_2.1.9. My download speed is supposed to be 1000mbps, but speedtests around 600-900 at normal times.
But, everyday, this falls to about 10% (60-95mbps), until I reboot it, and then it's back to its normal range. It stays there for most of the day (and sometimes 2 days) till it requires a reboot again.

Any idea what's going on? Speeds are measured through the orbi app.

Thanks
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Rbr 750 requires daily reboot

Glad to hear it was a sketchy connector!

You might mark your solution as solved so people know what fixed the issue 🙂

Let us know if you have further issues

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try testing using the speedtest app/browser on a hardwired in device. 

The app doesn't always pick the best server so its worth seeing if its something related to the router itself or the speedtest server its choosing. 

Message 2 of 13
sajid4077
Tutor

Results are the same using speed test. I notice the speeds drop on hardwired devices and that's when I test the speed and see the bad results. Reboot generally fixes it, but recently I've had to hard power recycle the router to get the speeds to restore ☹️
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

when its dropping in speed, whats showing in the wan port statistics page. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 4 of 13
sajid4077
Tutor

See Attached.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. If your ISP Modem or ONT supports 2.5Gb on there WAN port, CAT6A STP cable would be recommended. 

Message 6 of 13
sajid4077
Tutor

I don't have a cable modem. It's directly connected to the line outside my house. The outside line is connected with Cat7 which feeds into the Orbi Router. I will ask the cable company to redo the pinout on the external connection to see maybe that fixes the problem 🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm really out of ideas
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask the ISP if there is a interface unit out side or ONT. There has to be something that is converting the ISP data media to ethernet media. 

Also give this a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

Also enable SIP ALG on your RBR as well. 

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@sajid4077 wrote:

See Attached.

Thanks for providing the screen shot of the Show Statistics page.  The Orbi router has determined that the WAN link to the ISP device has a maximum capability of 100MB/s.  At that point, that is the theoretical maximum throughput.  In actual practice, a little over 90MB/s is possible.  The mystery, then, is what has caused the Orbi to determine that a link that was once capable of 1000MB/s is suddenly only capable of 100MB/s, but then returns to 1000MB/s when the router is rebooted.

Auto-negotiation is the technology used for the ISP and the user router to determine which speeds are capable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation 

It is built into the Ethernet hardware chips in the router and the ISP device, and is supposed to be "automatic".

There is a way to determine whether the fault lies with the owner router or with the ISP Ethernet cable + media device:

Disconnect the router and connect a computer with Ethernet connector and see if this continues to happen.

Since it may take two days for the problem to manifest, this is obviously impractical. (pick a description: unacceptable, ridiculous, impossible, the family will kill me, etc.)

I think the way forward is to contact the ISP.  Intermittent problems are very difficult to resolve.

Message 9 of 13
sajid4077
Tutor

Thank you @CrimpOn. The WAN speed was the first thing I noticed as well. I have an ISP technician coming tomorrow and I hope to explain this to him, but I'm not sure how much they will be able to help. I have had mixed results with the quality of techs that show up.

I will keep you all posted.
Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@sajid4077 wrote:
 I have had mixed results with the quality of techs that show up.

Enjoy the humor. ('mixed results').  To me, the key is that the speed changes without touching anything.  No wiggling connectors or wires. No unplugging or replugging.  The obvious first step is, "well, change the cable."  But, why?  I can see a loose cable connection causing a problem (maybe).  But if the cable is not touched at all and the problem goes away.... then???

Message 11 of 13
sajid4077
Tutor

So it turns out, the tech was actually really smart.
Since my house is wired for Cat7, when the internet was started back in the day, that tech didn't have a way to pin a cat7 cable, so he had fenagled a cat7 to cat5 connection which was shady at best. This was behind a "locked" section which I couldn't see, so I had no idea it was so badly done.
This new tech, ripped it all out and wired it correctly. It's still a cat7 to Cat5 connection, which adds a point of failure. These guys don't carry cat7 pins or crimper tool. I've ordered those so I can just make that connection directly into the ONT outside instead of having that connection.
But for now, it all works and speeds are back up.
Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it was a sketchy connector!

You might mark your solution as solved so people know what fixed the issue 🙂

Let us know if you have further issues

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7