Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Requests time out when a device is downloading or uploading

harriska
Aspirant

Requests time out when a device is downloading or uploading

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this please tell me if I am wrong. Whenever I am uploading big files or downloading while a device is connected to ethernet any requests on other devices connected fail. If I run ping and start uploading from my nas to the backup service almost all the requests time out. I have tried different ports and connecting to the Orbi (RBR760) with different switched to no avail. What can I try? Someone suggested the inbuilt switch had a problem? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Requests time out when a device is downloading or uploading

I've got that system and don't have that issue. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What firmware is on it? 

Does it matter if the device is connected directly to the router or the switch? 

Message 2 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

It is connected directly to the ONT from BT.

It is on V6.3.8.5_1.4.80.

No I have tried both, also on multiple ports.

I have also tried restarts and disabling traffic meter and armor but no difference. While the upload happens on the nas and the requests fail the upload decreases to around 3 MB/s too after starting at 30MB/s which seems odd too.

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@harriska wrote:

I am uploading big files or downloading while a device is connected to ethernet any requests on other devices connected fail.

It would be useful to know what size files are being transferred and specifics of the internet connection.

What upload and download speeds does the ISP guarantee?

Does this match the results from a common Speed Test?

My Spectrum connection, for example, provides 350+ megabits/sec download but only 11 megabits/sec upload.  This is common for cable based connections.  Most customers require vastly greater download speed than upload speed.

Backing up gigabytes of NAS files to the cloud would totally saturate my puny internet connection. Put another way, it might take under a minute for me to download a 1G file (at 8 bits per byte plus parity bits this comes to maybe 9-10 gigabits), but could take 30 minutes to upload during which time everything else is going to be essentially "frozen".  and that's just one file, not a whole NAS!

Message 4 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

edit: left a bit of your message in accidentally

The file sizes are 60 megabyte chunks of around 900 gigabytes. 

My connection is estimated on the ISP website at 900mbps and 110mbps up, I usually get less download but about the stated upload when I do a speedtest on speedtest.net. The guarantee is 700 megabits down and 10 mbps up.

I get saturating your internet with 11mbps but the upload speed on the nas states 4MB/s upload which is nowhere near the 12MB/s I should be getting and yet no requests get through from any other device.

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information.  Would it be possible to check the NAS specification?  Is it 4 mega bytes or 4 mega bits?  (Internet speeds are measured in bits.)

Interesting that ordinary speed tests report upload speeds of 110mb/sec but the guarantee is only 10mb/sec.  I don't know anything about BT practices. For example, could they react to a customer "flooding" the upload capacity by throttling the upload speed?  If that were the case and  the NAS is outputting 4 mega bytes/sec (over 30 mega bits/sec), then.....

Internet search for "NAS upload speed slow" turn up many discussions.

Message 6 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

It was megabytes per second, I didn't realise that was a thing, it does seem to happen on speedtests though but will give the isp router a try tonight to see if that reacts the same way.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 8 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

It is connected to a BT openreach ONT made by Huawei, it is called an "EchoLife HG8010H5-20"

Message 9 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

I tried the ISP router and got the exact same result and speed.

Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Is it possible to attempt the NAS upload when connected directly to the BT ONT? (i.e. removing the Orbi system from the configuration temporarily.)

Message 11 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

I can't connect the nas to the ONT since it uses PPPoE and unraid (nas os) doesn't support that kind of connection. I have also tried the ISP router instead of the orbis with the same result.

Message 12 of 14
harriska
Aspirant

Hi, just wondering if you use pppoe to connect. Could it be related to that? I see a few issues of high ping when using pppoe

Message 13 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@harriska wrote:

I have also tried the ISP router instead of the Orbi with the same result.

Good test procedure.  Sort of rules out the Orbi router as contributing to the network congestion.

ISP throttling is a topic on the internet, with all sorts of recommendations on how to test and bypass it.  I did not see anything from BT on the subject, but am not confident how to search BT for information. It might be worth a few minutes to call BT technical support and ask, "Does BT throttle customer upload speeds under specific circumstances?"

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series