Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up New RBR850 from RBR50 with OnQ set up

KKSigs
Guide

Setting up New RBR850 from RBR50 with OnQ set up

So looking for suggestion for a smooth transition if possible.  I just purchased a RBR850 and trying to get some suggestions on setting up my new system and transferring all my information from my Orbi RBR50.  My current Orbi system is tied into an OnQ system with Legrand components.  MY ISP is ATT fiber and using a Arris modem BG 210 solely as a modem and the Orbi as router.  The On Q system has a  Legrand router, multiple gigabit switches and also Z bridges to control lighting, locks and cameras.  Which I believe when my communications guy set this up the Legrand router is wired to the system and the only thing that had to be programmed with IP addresses were the camera's. I have made a back up of the configuration of my RBR50 and wondering if I could transfer to that to the RBR850? Also I understand for the Legrand components to properly communicate to the new Orbi, is to have the exact same SSID and password.  I have minimal tech knowledge regarding this and before diving in, wanted to know if this is feasible for me and the given capabilities of the RBR850 right now.  With that being said, if I do try this and it fails miserably is it easy to go back to the old sytem by just plugging it back into the modem?

Thank you in advance for the help

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortunately you can't apply the config file from a different model system to the newer model system. 

I would do this, log into the RBR50s web page and take screen captures of all pages that seem to have configurations for WiFi and LAN and WAN and Internet sections of that router. You can even leave the RBR50 online and use a separate PC connected to the RBR850, configure the 850 manually while not connected to the modem. Go thru and get the 850 setup while looking at each page on the RBR50 to mirror it's settings on the 850. 

Once you have the 850 setup and configured like the 50 router, disconnect the 50 series router and install and connect the 850 series router. be sure to power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON. Let it sync again. Then power ON the 850 series router. You should be up and running. 

Message 2 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Thanks so much! Already took screen shots.l Regarding logging into the rbr 850, with another computer directly attach to the rbr850 via ethernet and logon with the orbilogin.net and not attached to internet?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Message 4 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Well got everything installed and copied all settings but getting horrible download speeds and great upload speeds. Compared to my RBR 50 getting about 100-150Mb slower speeds on downloads. Notice slight buffering with streaming. I was happy with my RBR 50 but hoping that the RBR850 would be that much quicker and more for me. Wondering what I need to tweak to achieve that. However that’s hard to do when your trying to do telemedicine and kids doing e-learning through this time. Any other suggestions?
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2346. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 6 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Thanks will give this a try and report back. Also wondering if my Ethernet gigabit switches are causing instability. I was wired for my backhaul so I will try it with wireless
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and Model# if your switches your using? 

Message 8 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Legrand 8-port Gigabit Switch DA1008
It’s part of my Legrand On Q system
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this your switch? 

https://www.legrand.us/onq/networking/wired-networks/routers-switches/da1008.aspx

See it has green ethernet:

Energy-Efficient Ethernet compliant (IEEE 802.3az)

This has been known to cause problems between RBR and RBS. 

Message 10 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Yeah that's it. Any recommendations to fixing this? My cameras and the Legrand router are hardwired via the switch directly to the router.

From what the description says it is Green Ethernet compliant 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya which for some reason orbi systems do not like that feature. 

Do you have to use that particular switch or can you install in its place a different switch? Like NG GS 105 or 108 switch? 

What is the connection lay out diagram look like staring from the ISP ONT/Modem then to > router> then Switch then RBS? 

Please give a description of this lay out. 

Message 12 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Unable to switch out the legrand for the NG because I have to many switches and it would be costly. But from what I see and think from a diagram standpoint it goes. ATT Fiber ISP to Arris BG210 modem to ORBI router to 3 gigabit switches to every Ethernet port in the house has believe. The Orbi satellites gets directly plugged into one Ethernet port in the house.
Message 13 of 14
KKSigs
Guide

Update, so I made the changes suggested, some of which were already done prior.  But restarted my modem and then orbi and was getting better consistent speeds. Then proceeded to do Ethernet Backhaul, restarted modem and then orbi, now getting consistent speeds once again. So far so good.  Using one of my old orbi satelites as Ethernet backhaul and working well in addition.  Now just waiting for my extra RBS850 that I purchased  to get better coverage for my home which is about 8000 sq. ft.

Thank you FURRYE38 for you input and suggestions

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7