Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up a device that requires a 2.4Mhz band

AngieT053065
Aspirant

Setting up a device that requires a 2.4Mhz band

First, let me start out by saying that I am not extremely technical but I have spent quite some time trying to get a diffuser added to my home network with no luck and need some assistance (in layman's terms as much as possible please).  The diffuser operates on a 2.4GHz band which I thought was the problem -- and could still be -- but when I check all of the devices connected to my Orbi, I have several that are 2.4GHz, like a Playstation, so obviously it supports both 5G as well as 2.4GHz.  My Orbi router model is RBR50v2.  When I try to connect the diffuser, there isn't an option to select one band or another, so I don't know if this is something I set up via Orbi (and have no idea how the Playstation and Roku were set up) or not. I searched this forum and found instructions to do this, but the steps didn't match my Advanced Settings, so I am not sure if the instructions were for a different model or if there has been an update since those were posted.  I am sure I've left off some important information that is needed to troubleshoot, but if anyone can help me out or at least get me started, I would appreciate it!  I know this has to be easier than what I am making it!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Cheat. Power off the router and the satellites Setup a phone hotspot for 2.4ghz with the same exact ssid/password as the router.

then use a different phone to setup the diffuser. Once its setup and connected, power the hotspot off and the router on. It should auto-connect. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@AngieT053065 wrote:

When I try to connect the diffuser, there isn't an option to select one band or another, so......

If the diffuser smartphone app displays the Orbi WiFi as a choice, select it and go on to the next step.  When products have only a 2.4G radio, they cannot possibly detect 5G WiFi.  They can only detect 2.4G WiFi radios.

Message 3 of 6
McLong
Apprentice

Great idea! The only thing to note here is to power off all your devices already configured on the same network so they don't auto reconnect to the mobile hotspot as it supports a limited number of devices.
Message 4 of 6
AngieT053065
Aspirant

That's a great idea!  Thank you -- I will try that!

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

... or try a different phone. Recently I tried to add a 2.4 GHz security camera to my network and it failed after so many trials. I was using my iPhone 12 Pro Max. When I tested with an old iPhone 6S then it paied from first trial. So the phone plays an important role.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7