Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I come back to Orbi?

Thalador
Apprentice

Should I come back to Orbi?

Hey all. I used Orbi RBK750's for a couple of years and when the firmware disasters began I dumped them (thanks Costco!) for Asus. I do miss some of the features and now with Costco having the 753's for a lower price I thought about coming back. Then I began reading. Is it still really such a mess? Is it the same firmware problems that began last summer?

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Should I come back to Orbi?

@Thalador wrote:

Hey all. I used Orbi RBK750's for a couple of years and when the firmware disasters began I dumped them (thanks Costco!) for Asus. I do miss some of the features and now with Costco having the 753's for a lower price I thought about coming back. Then I began reading. Is it still really such a mess? Is it the same firmware problems that began last summer?

The answer may hinge on which features were present in the Orbi product but missing in the Asus, and how important those features are to you.

There do appear to be some enduring firmware issues with the entire AX series of products.  The present explosion of forum posts resulted from Netgear 'pushing' a firmware update to a lot of users (in an attempt to address problems) which resulted in the customers not being able to access their system with either the Orbi 'app' or the web interface unless they performed a factory reset and wiped out their existing configurations.  Thus, whether this latest firmware has 'fixed things' has taken a back seat to undoing the damage. (Customers who did the factory reset are 'back in business.')

Purchasing a new system from Costco will avoid this unfortunate situation.

Just personally, I would wait until the dust settles and forum discussions return to whether the newest firmware has addressed outstanding issues.  The Costco offering is not likely to disappear any time soon, so there should be no urgency.

Message 2 of 8
Thalador
Apprentice

Betreff: Should I come back to Orbi?

I do need to clarify that the new package at Costco is the RBK763's not 753's. Still, seems like they still haven't figured out how to push firmware yet. Here's an idea - don't force it. Let users update when they want.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what model Orbi you see at Costco please. 

@Thalador wrote:

I do need to clarify that the new package at Costco is the RBK763's not 753's. Still, seems like they still haven't figured out how to push firmware yet. Here's an idea - don't force it. Let users update when they want.

Message 4 of 8
Timothy88
Luminary

Go to their website.

Message 5 of 8
Thalador
Apprentice

Are the RBK763x systems having the same firmware issues? That's what Costco is selling

Thalador_0-1653073254621.png

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might check with this user:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/How-can-I-match-the-firmware-between...

They posted having the 760 series however nothing was said about seeing web page access issues. Only thing they were seeing is trying to get RBS750 series synced which seems to be not compatible on the 760 series. I thinking since the FW versions are different from each other, that the 760 wouldn't be effected. Could give it a try and if something happens, I hear Costco has a good return policy.

@Thalador wrote:

Are the RBK763x systems having the same firmware issues? That's what Costco is selling

Thalador_0-1653073254621.png

Message 7 of 8
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Used to be a RBK53 owner for a long time, was frequently frustrated by reboots and other issues.    When the WiFi 6 Orbi RBK753 was available at Costco a while ago, I thought that with a new flagship the system had to be better right?

No, it's acceptable enough that I'm not ready to pay nearly $1K for another setup from another vendor with possibility it's a mess there as well.   I just plan for the necessary "reboot" weekly to act as a preventative.

I couldn't at this time recommend Orbi for anyone.

I think I might seriously consider purchasing an actual enterprise product line in the long term.    Waiting for 6E to become much more commodity in the enterprise before I make that leap.   Real firewall, real routing and real APs that are designed to just work at unfortunately a real cost.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7