Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speeds if IPv6 turned on Orbi RBK353

Peter_50
Aspirant

Slow speeds if IPv6 turned on Orbi RBK353

I have a RBR 350 with  V4.4.1.29_3.10.80 firmware in router mode.

I have changed internet provider from Virgin to the local Fibre to the Home company.

With the ISP supplied Nokia Modem / Router I get upload and download speeds of around 900 IPv6 and IPv4.

With the ISP supplied Nokia modem and Orbi RBR350 the speed drops below 400 if IPv6 is enabled and stays at 900 if IPv6 is turned off.

These speeds are via Ethernet connections to a PC but Wi-Fi devices see much the same kind of speed drop.

Is this a defect in the router?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow speeds if IPv6 turned on Orbi RBK353

Your nokia modem? Does it have its own integrated router? (most do)

If so, it causes a double nat 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 6
Peter_50
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. This is not a double NAT problem. 

My ISP provides a choice of using their Router a Nokia G-2426G-A or if using own router they provide a Nokia G-010G-R modem to which I connected a Orbi RBR350.

Using their router the full speed around 900 is obtained with IPv6 and IPv4.

Using their modem and the Orbi with IPv4 only enabled full speed around 900 is obtained.

Using their modem and the Orbi with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled the speed drops to 300-400.

These speed are measured by Ethernet.

The ISP provided Router is a Nokia 

Message 3 of 6
Peter_50
Aspirant

My ISP has recommended keeping the Orbi with IPv6 turned off as the best solution.

There are several other threads on this subject so assume this is common to other netgear routers.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/Why-IPv6-can-be-slower-than-IPv4/m-p/2...

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 6
donawalt
Virtuoso

IPv6 is a dumpster fire with Orbi on this firmware. So many problems...I too have it turned off, the network is unusable with it turned on - starting anywhere from 2-6 hours later. Router gets totally confused. I have sent in debug logs, tried all kinds of tests, starting with thebeta. But NG doesn't seem to be addressing it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7