Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slower Wifi download speeds compared to upload speeds

Puch96
Guide

Slower Wifi download speeds compared to upload speeds

Hello  all.  I searched this formum but not sure if I found an answer yet.

I have Orbi Mesh System RBK852

I have ATT Fiber 1G service up/down. 

I configured my ATT router to IP passthrough and dissabled the radios on the router.

Everything was working great.  Until about December 2022 , where I noticed that the download speeds were about 200mbps slower than my upload speeds. (on wifi only).

When measuring with wired connection to Orbi router, speeds are 950/950 consistently.

But Wi-Fi, about 5 feet away from main router, i measure about 450down and 700 up.  (before I used to get relatively same down and up Wi-Fi speeds)

Also, when measuring speed test from ISP from my Orbi router interface, I am measuring about 940 down / 1200 up. (before I used to get about 1200 down/up.)

Is there any known issues with maybe Orbi SW that may cause slower  wifi download speeds vs upload?

I have the latest SW installed 4.6.14.3.

Message 1 of 8
Puch96
Guide

Anyone has any feedback?

Today I'm running speedtests close to main router and I'm getting about 400 down, 840 up.  That is strange.  Wired speeds are still consistent at 950 down / up.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you speed testing with? Are they AX supporting? 
What MIMO support do they have? Most 2x2 MIMO devices max out at around 300-700Mpbs depending on there design and support. 4x4 MIMO devices can and should see near 900Mpbs or over. 

Turn off all RBS before testing wirelessly with the device to ensure it's connected to the RBR.

What happens if you configure the RBR for AP mode and disable the IP pass-thru configuration for the RBR in AP mode? 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. ️

Message 3 of 8
Puch96
Guide

I'm not sure MIMO support on devices, but the devices I'm using to test are all ax compatible.

Saamsung S21 ultra, S23 ultra, iPhone SE 2020.

The strange thing I don't understand is why I'm getting significantly higher uploads vs. downloads on wifi.

I am testing connected to the main router about arms length away...

I can try to disconnect the satellite to see if there is any change.  But nothing has changed on the network (i.e. router/satellite locations, etc) except for noticed lower download speeds vs. upload speeds when connected to main  router.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

General suggested testing distances from the RBR or RBS would be about 6 to 10 feet. 

Please give feedback to the questions presented as well. 

Message 5 of 8
Puch96
Guide

Just tested about 6 feet from main router.  

595 down

866 up.

Message 6 of 8
Puch96
Guide

Update: I just tested using fast.com and download speeds are around 800Mbps and upload around the same.  Maybe an issue with Ookla speedtest app.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing test servers with in the Ookla app. Some servers around your area may or may not be capable of testing at spec speeds, or busier than others. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7