Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The PAIN with Orib AX (RBK853)

migsta
Apprentice

The PAIN with Orib AX (RBK853)

Regardless of what anybody says, there is something really WRONG with Orbi AX.

I just got my entire RBK853 system RMA'd and I'm in the same boat with the system being entirely unstable.  What I see,

• It is nearly impossible to get satellites detected after the router is setup.  It just does not work no matter if you follow the sequence with the SYNC button. It will simply not detect the satellites unless you get lucky.  This is broken from what I can tell.
  • I got the satellites to detect by wiring them into the router and the iOS app or Web GUI app don't say that a satellite(s) is detected.  Basically, you plug the satellite(s) into the router and it will eventually detect without doing anything.
  • The system is so unstable that the Web GUI and iOS app are in constant state of flux with respect to whether or not the iOS app will connect to Orbi and/or lose the satellites.  It happens so often that the iOS app is basically unusable.  There is so much instability happening with the iOS app and the Web GUI app as well.
  • I still have the issue with my outdoor cameras basically not connecting (might see the odd one here or ther connect) before it loses connection for good.
  • I still have the issue with Arlo Baby indoor camera that connects but is basically unusable due to the sever pixelation.
  • I tried AP mode and the satellites get lost in AP mode.  You have to go through the futile task of adding them back in if you switch to AP mode.  In AP mode, the same unstable issues occur and no cameras.
  • It's Orbi AX for sure as Orbi AC, Nest WiFi and Aimesh don't have any such issue on my network - just Orbi AX.
  • I'm at the latest firmware level and factory reset all units.  I event dropped to an earlier level(s) with factory resets and it's all the same.

Sorry, but this system does not work.  Netgear responding to RMA'ing my units was great but it did nothing.  I don't even know how they don't see these issue in their testing of firmware releases.  It's a MESS.

Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is the RBR and RBS using? 

What is the mfr and model# of the main host router your using when you have the Orbi in AP mode?

Must be something going on as I and others have not had problems getting RBS connected. 

I can do a remote or same room sync with RBS to the RBR and they get connected. Router and AP mode. Mines in AP mode currently.

After the RBS is configred and you hit the sync button on the RBR first then the RBS 2nd, give a couple of minutes before the RBS should get a BLUE front LED then eventually go OFF. I use a web browser to monitor the status on the RBRs web page. It eventually appears for me there and then go turn on the 2nd RBS and do the same process. 

I don't use the Orbi app to setup the RBR or RBS. 

Message 2 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

Latest firmware. But I have only always hit the sync button on satellite and not router. So, maybe I am doing that part wrong. Either way, they are online now but super unstable with respect to how the iOS app is in a constant state between connecting to Orbi and seeing or not seeing the satellites online. And why would putting Orbi in AP mode suddenly cause it to lose the satellites, they don’t come online. I managed to get them online in AP mode but Orbi behaves the same with the app being accessible or not and the app network diagram regularly going between 2 and 0 satellites.
Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya, you have to hit the sync button ON the RBR first then the button on the RBS. Both will sync wirelessly.

If you want them connecteded via ethernet, then connect the LAN cable after they are synced wirelessly. However there is a bug in AP mode with RBS ethernet connected to a RBR using a switch. They don't appear in the RBRs web page. They do appear in you don't use a switch. This is only in AP mode. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 4 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

Router is in basement, no choice. One satellite on main floor and other one on top floor. I tried just the router and the router with one and both satellites spread out in different configs. The worst part is the cameras which do not connect outdoors and the indoor one is not viewable from extreme pixelation, only with Orbi AX. I also messed with channels, short preamble and 2347 RTS/CTS but same issue with all cameras.
Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

No way to run a LAN cable from the basement up to the main floor to place the RBR there. Basement is not great places for any kind of wifi router. Maybe one issue your having with your system. You might check some local electical or eletronics shops to see if someone can help you run a LAN cable in existing walls to up on a main floor at some point. 

what are the distances between the RBR and RBS? 

Message 6 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

But Orbi AC, Nest WiFi and Aimesh no issues.
Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that AX isn't working well in the basement. IF you've tried two systems now and both exhibit the same behavior, this points to a basement/Orbi AX issue. I presume if you had the RBR up on the main floor, it would work better. 

Message 8 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

I already tried disabling AX and it's still the same.  Aimesh is AX and it works - ZenWiFi XT8 without any issue.  Just Orbi AX will not connect to these cameras.

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and have them look at your debug logs for the RBR/RBS to see if they can figure out why the cameras are not connecting. 

Have these cameras ever connected to the system at all? 

Message 10 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

Besides that, there is something really odd with both Orbi RBK853 kits.  There is no doubt the router is losing contact with the satellites as the iOS app clearly shows the satellites there sometimes and sometimes not quite frequently.  And, even sometimes launching the iOS app it doesn't find Orbi.  Then, a few seconds later it's back.  Both kits exhibit this weird state of flux that the iOS app and browser GUI show.  Right now, via the PC for example, I cannot reach Orbi browser GUI.  Going to have to reboot to get it back.  I can get to it via the iOS app but not the browser GUI.  I hate to complain but it's too late for me to get a refund otherwise I wouldn't bother with this setup.  Now, it has to work somehow.

Message 11 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

They looked at debug logs...sent them.  They RMA'd the router/satellites.  Once in a blue moon, one or two connect for a bit but then going back to them does not work.  The front doorbell camera connects sometimes but complains that slow speed may effect streaming.  I don't see this with the other WiFi units I've mentioned.

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the RBR and RBSs. 

Have you configured the CTS and RTS values for 2307 or 2347? 

Message 13 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

I tried, 2347 and default 64 including sort preamble. I already mentioned trying numerous distances and just router and router with one and two satellites. Same no matter what I try?
Message 14 of 22
FarmerBob1
Luminary

What about leaving the CTS/RTS at 64, then trying the 2347. But turning off the 2.4 & 5GHz Co-Existence, leaving the AX setting on also. Below is where I landed after a lot of trial and drops. Have been crusin' nicely for 15 days since the last reboot to change a setting that wipes the Uptime Counter. So a good 20-30 days.

Now I'm running:

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n/ax)

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence: OFF

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4GHz b/g/n/ax): ON (but this is a setting that can be tried)

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2347 (although I'm in a noisy area of technotards)

Preamble Mode: Short

Transmit Power Control: 100%

Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac/ax)

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n/ac/ax): ON

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2347 (although I'm in a noisy area of technotards)

Preamble Mode: Short

Transmit Power Control: 100%

On the WiFi Setup page earlier on:

Enable AX - This WiFi mode will enable AX features: ON (this is another setting that can be played with)

Food for thought. I hope this helps.

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Progress on this? 

NG has said to reach out to them and see if they can help you. 

Also the basement isn't a good place for the main wifi router. 

@migsta wrote:
I tried, 2347 and default 64 including sort preamble. I already mentioned trying numerous distances and just router and router with one and two satellites. Same no matter what I try?

Message 16 of 22
migsta
Apprentice

No, no progress.  It's really bizarre how only Orbi AX is not capable of running my outdoor cameras and the indoor Arlo Baby camera is basically unuseable as there is just so much jaggies/pixelation happening that you can't even make out an image.  As I keep stating, all other 3 WiFi systems (including another AX - Aimesh) have no issue with my setup.  Orbi AX is just really bizarre at doing everything.  There is so much unstableness with the app's and the router.  And, I've had all 3 units exchanged via RMA and the same.  I've sent two sets of logs to Netgear so waiting on results from the 2nd set of logs.

• Joining satellites is weird as the app looks for them and then comes back and says didn't find them yet they are found when coming out and back into the iOS app.
  • Did factory resets galore with different versions of firmware
  • When I factory reset this router, a ghost satellite shows up as disconnected and does not even match the MAC address of my actual two satellites?  I remove it and just add the physical satellites.  I have factory reset it 2 times and it shows up this ghost satellite?
  • Tried just the router (I know it's in basement but I can't move it and the other 3 WiFi systems had no issues with router in basement including Orbi RBK50, Nest WiFi, Aimesh AX
  • Tried the router and one satellite
  • Tried the router and two satellites (RBK853 package basically)
  • Moved them around
  • Played with 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels
  • Played with Short, Long Preamble
  • Played with CTS/RTS
  • Device listing is never consistent with my actual number of devices.  Always show low 40 to 50 (sometimes less) when all 3 other WiFi systems always show 85 to 95 devices online
  • iOS app sometimes doesn't connect (says I must be on the WiFi network to connect) but reconnects after a few seconds
  • Sometimes the router needs to be rebooted so I can get into the Browser GUI or I can't connect
  • iOS app sometimes just loses satellites and devices can't be display - a minute or so later, the satellites appear along with the always minimal list of devices
  • Outdoor sigal is really crappy for such an expensive an highly touted system with respect to range

Honestly, I'd glady take my money back if Netgear did the right thing here and is not able to resolve my issue.  I'm out mega coin having bought this system.  I'm in Canada so had to order it from the US.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Reach out to NG support. Sounds like you have done alot of troubleshooting.

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 18 of 22
Mikey94025
Hero

• Joining satellites is weird as the app looks for them and then comes back and says didn't find them yet they are found when coming out and back into the iOS app.

I agree this is a bug with the app.  I've connected two separately-purchased AX satellites and both times the app "couldn't find" the satellite.  The first time I noticed it was successful anyway, the second time the app told me to press the Sync button.  I believe it's really only a nuisance issue and not relevant to the wireless performance of the system.

• Outdoor sigal is really crappy for such an expensive an highly touted system with respect to range

I don't think you can expect the AX system to do well with range.  Just as 5Ghz has worse range than 2.4Ghz, you are trading off range for higher performance.  If range is what you're looking for then go for 2.4Ghz or expect to chain satellites.

I've been lucky and even as an early adopter I have never had any serious issues with my Orbi systems (first the RBK50 and now the RBK850).  The first Orbi had an early problem with Nest cameras until you disabled some advance wireless settings, but I recently got the AX system and it has been performing very well for me.  I fortunately use Arlo cameras and Arlo lights, each with their own base systems, so range from my outdoor Arlo devices to my Orbi has never been a factor.  I also have Nest cameras outside but they're not far from a satellite and their 2.4Ghz connectivity has also not been problemmatic for me.

Message 19 of 22
jmdll0518
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue RBR850 and RBS850.  Suppoort was useless.

Message 20 of 22
Kiki387
Aspirant

welcome to the club, I have the same problems.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post in your opening thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Fustration-Galore/m-p/1916251/highlight/false#M3814

Thank you

@jmdll0518 wrote:

I have the exact same issue RBR850 and RBS850.  Suppoort was useless.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7