Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thinking of upgrading from RBK50 (first-gen Orbi) to 960 / AXE11000

sfsdfd2
Follower

Thinking of upgrading from RBK50 (first-gen Orbi) to 960 / AXE11000

As per subject line - I need some input about upgrading to the latest-and-greatest Orbi.

I was an early adopter of the RBK50, when its mesh performance was light years ahead of everything else on the market.

Over the years, we have vastly expanded our device load to about 60 devices connected at any given time, including streaming video to a projector. Performance under this load is OK but not great - connectivity is sometimes flaky, particularly to Nest cams at the periphery of our (rather small) house. Also, we might upgrade to a 4K streaming service, and I'm concerned that the RBK50 will not be up to the task. So we're thinking of upgrading.

One of my biggest pet peeves over the years has been the processing speed of the RBK50 base unit. Accessing basic configuration pages is painfully slow, taking 30-60 seconds to render *each page*, and sometimes (including tonight) not even possible - the webserver on the device just times out. I presume that it uses a circa-2016 IoT-grade processor with a barely passable amount of memory, and that the flagship 960 probably includes a state-of-the-art processor that could run circles around the RBK50. Also, I presume that the firmware has been given some extra attention to modernize it and justify the price tag.

So, two questions:

1) How is everyone's 960 / AXE11000 experience? Good, bad? Powerhouse or powerhype? Does it make sense for me to upgrade, given the rationale above?

2) How does the configuration of the 960 / AXE11000 compare to that of the RBK50? Is it the same firmware or an improvement? And does the 960 respond well to configuration, or does it exhibit the same slowpoke behavior as the RBK50?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I've actually installed my old (2x of them) 50 series orbis and a friends and parents place. They're still pretty quick and snappy but they were falling behind my homes capabilities. If you're internet speeds are still in the 500mbps (ish) range, the orbi should still handle it fine. I'd try doing a little fine tuning on the 50 series before going to the 960 series (huge buy in) first. They're still kind of at peak prices and 6e stuff will have to start coming down as more manufacturer's bring them to market. 

A little optimizing/fine tuning can help a lot. And I had around the same amount of devices and had 4k streaming. 

What modem is it connected to? 

Have you factory reset the router and reinstalled it (not from a backup) lately? The Orbi has had quite a few firmware changes and sometimes a reset/reinstall can clear out old settings or things causing slow downs. 

You might also try optimizing placement. With changes to devices using higher 4k speeds, sometimes moving a satellite to hardwire in a tv or even just provide better coverage can help a bit. When I first got into mesh systems, I moved my satellites around once a week and tried different satellited configurations from 1-2-3 satellites and their placement. Really let me know how it performed in those different configurations. I found 2x satellites was ideal for my home and 3x was to many. Plus how to place them. 

Thats where I'd start. A reset/reinstall and optimizing placement. I do really enjoy my 963 orbi but I don't notice a whole lot of speed differences than before using my 50 series. The speed difference from 30mbps to 300mbps is for sure noticed but from 300mbps-1gig, I couldn't tell much speed differences unless I was speedtesting. Most sites don't even saturate a 300mps connection much less 1 gig. Even 4k streaming only takes 25-40mbps so unless you have quite a few going at once, the original orbi can still do quite a bit. 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

I love my 9 series...

@sfsdfd2 wrote:

As per subject line - I need some input about upgrading to the latest-and-greatest Orbi.

I was an early adopter of the RBK50, when its mesh performance was light years ahead of everything else on the market.

Over the years, we have vastly expanded our device load to about 60 devices connected at any given time, including streaming video to a projector. Performance under this load is OK but not great - connectivity is sometimes flaky, particularly to Nest cams at the periphery of our (rather small) house. Also, we might upgrade to a 4K streaming service, and I'm concerned that the RBK50 will not be up to the task. So we're thinking of upgrading.

One of my biggest pet peeves over the years has been the processing speed of the RBK50 base unit. Accessing basic configuration pages is painfully slow, taking 30-60 seconds to render *each page*, and sometimes (including tonight) not even possible - the webserver on the device just times out. I presume that it uses a circa-2016 IoT-grade processor with a barely passable amount of memory, and that the flagship 960 probably includes a state-of-the-art processor that could run circles around the RBK50. Also, I presume that the firmware has been given some extra attention to modernize it and justify the price tag.

So, two questions:

1) How is everyone's 960 / AXE11000 experience? Good, bad? Powerhouse or powerhype? Does it make sense for me to upgrade, given the rationale above?

2) How does the configuration of the 960 / AXE11000 compare to that of the RBK50? Is it the same firmware or an improvement? And does the 960 respond well to configuration, or does it exhibit the same slowpoke behavior as the RBK50?

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Dfran1
Apprentice

Hi,

I have just done the same as you are thinking.

1.  If you go to Best B.. and go to the service desk with any old router or cable modem you will get a coupon for 15%off that day.

I just went back and did a return / rebuy.

2.  the only problem I had with the Orbi 50 (router with one satellite) was wifi calling with apple phones, it got choppy at times, but I also firmware locked my Orbi 50, so I saw no slow downs in the menu at all (but was on a very old firmware) now I moved the 50 to my moms house.

3.  I absolutely LOVE the new Orbi 963,  before I had the main router in the basement and the satellite in the bedroom with hard wires going to the apple tv and sound bar for wireless backhaul, now I have 2 satellites, and installed the second behind the living room TV, hardwired the apple tv and sound bar on that tv with wireless backhaul to the main router.  (I also replaced the cable modem with a CM2000) 

4.  I live in a 1150 square foot ranch, and had spotty wifi at the outside corners of the property, and If I set the wifi to 25% or 50% the wifi in the corners of the property, on the new Orbi 960 WiFi is still bad so I leave all at 100% and let the Orbi 960 do its thing and find NO harmful wifi difference with it at 100%, BUT I now do get WiFi at the corners of the property that I never got before.  Main router is in the basement back of house up high (ceiling height), one satellite is in the front corner right side and the other satellite if front corner left side.

5.  I had no problems streaming before with the 50 and still don't with the 960, but my wifi calling is perfect now, and I tested it out one day while I was on the phone I rebooted the router and got disconnected instantly, so its working great!!

6.  The Orbi app still needs work with device's showing, sometimes my iPhone shows as hardwired. 

Love the 960 !!!   Also as stated here after the latest new firmware (that actually works very well) you turn off firmware updates and only update after you read lots of others testing it out first, then load it or just be happy as I think I will leave it now.

hope it helps.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7