Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TrueNas time machine backups failing over Mesh Network only

tnine
Aspirant

TrueNas time machine backups failing over Mesh Network only

Hello,

I'm having a somewhat weird issue I could use some help with. I'm running TrueNas version TrueNAS-12.0-U7. I'm using an SMB "Mutli-protocol AFP/SMB Shares" as a time machine backup. When I have the following network setup, I'm able to back up to the time machine mount successfully. The lines with arrows indicate a wired connection

Laptop --> Netgear Orbi Main Router <-- FreeNas

However, if I have the following network setup, I'm unable to back up via time machine.

Laptop --> Netgear Orbi Main Router ---- Orbi Sattelite <-- FreeNas

What's odd, is that in the 2nd network configuration, I can browse the shares over the network from my laptop, but I can't seem to mount the time machine encrypted disk image over the network via Finder. It doesn't seem to be a physical connectivity issue for any other connection interface. The time machine just refuses to back up with the generic error message.

This seems to be a bug in lower level mesh network of my RBR850 hardware, since if both devices are wired to the same satellite, the issue does not occur.  Does anyone have anything I can check?  All of my satellites and router are on the latest firmware version. V4.6.3.16.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: TrueNas time machine backups failing over Mesh Network only

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? Wireless? Any chance you can try connecting the RBS via ethernet as a quick test? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Also you might review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 8
ekhalil
Master

- Is Orbi operating in router or AP mode?
- What are the IP addresses assigned to the laptop and the FreeNAS?
Message 3 of 8
tnine
Aspirant

So it seems setting up the system in the Star topology doesn't resolve the issue.  When I view the firmware versions in management UI at http://orbilogin.com./start.htm , it doesn't show the firmware version you've linked to as an update option.  Is the linked version an early release version of the firmware?

The Orbi is operating in router mode.  
The NAS has a static IP assigned of 10.10.0.10.  My CIDR range in my LAN is 10.10.0.1/24, and my DHCP leases start at 10.10.0.20 to 10.10.0.254

Thanks for the help!

Todd

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a router in front of the Orbi router? Usually the RBR runs 192.168.1.1/24.

Message 5 of 8
tnine
Aspirant

No, there is no router in front of the Orbi.  In fact my ISP has assigned me a static IP. As a result my WAN has a static IP, and I've simply changed the addresable space on the LAN to a different class A subnet that requires less typing 🙂 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 8
tnine
Aspirant

Upgrading to the latest firmware seems to have resolved my issue! 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7