Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turn off WMM advisable?

donawalt
Prodigy

Turn off WMM advisable?

I was wondering - I have had WMM enabled on both my Orbi 850 and 960 for a long time. But now, with the 960 I am on a 2G Comcast plan. Since WMM is basically prioritizing video/audio over other traffic, and with a 2,5G pipe, should I turn off WMM? The other reason, I thought I have seen that with WMM off, WiFi performance improves - which is logical if audio/video is being prioritized higher.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Turn off WMM advisable?

It's recommended to keep that enabled for 2.4Ghz devices. Though if your not really using 2.4Ghz, I suppose you could disable it. User option. 

Message 2 of 9
donawalt
Prodigy

Hmm. I have smart plugs, a Ring doorbell, and Harmony Hubs for TV remotes that all use 2.4. So I guess I shouldn't....

EDIT: I forgot - NG doesn't let you have access to WMM in the 960 anyway...

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, I can only see the Ring Door Bell maybe needing bandwidth. Hubs and devices that don't need much or lots of bandwidth wouldn't have a need for any WMM QoS processing as I presume some of these devices have intermittent usages or data flow. 

Message 4 of 9
donawalt
Prodigy

The Ring does have a 5MHz radio too, but it doesn't use it very much.

I posted it as an edit, but I don't think the 960 admin age lets you change WMM for either band any more..?

Message 5 of 9
donawalt
Prodigy

Wow doing some looking around, this is weird - if I look through all the router admin web pages, I don't see WMM. But if I go direct to this page

http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm 

it's there!

What other hidden pages are there?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Does that page work after you select it and apply the change? 
I'll check mine and see. I know it's still visible on the 850 series last time I looked. 

What browser are you using? 

Message 7 of 9
donawalt
Prodigy

I didn't want to change it, in case it messes something up. I suspect they took the "QoS setup" link off the Advanced/Setup sidebar, that's where I the it was on the 850.

I checked the router admin page on both Safari and Chrome, not there for either.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible removed for the 960 series. 🙄 I'll check mine again. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series