Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to see Satellite AP

Ericasjourney
Aspirant

Unable to see Satellite AP

I have a recent RBR860 that replaced an aging Deco system. Since installing, the satellite has been rock solid in my home office that is detached from my house. This week however, it started constantly dropping out and reconnecting and continues to do so. I also have never been able to view the satellite in my app configuration so struggling to troubleshoot. The only big change is the fact we had a Vivint security system installed and wondering if that is now creating significant interference in the system. This is connected directly to the ISP wifi rather than the mesh to avoid crowding my mesh network but since all security devices are wireless, wondering if this isn't the issue. 

I've rebooted 2x and relocated the satellite to the closest distance possible short of placing it outside in the elements. I'm not convinced the satellite is connected since I have zero agility to see it in the app. Everything worked perfectly until this week so not sure if there was some kind of update or if it really is the security system. Happy to provide more information if anyone needs it to assist in the troubleshooting. 

App: 2.24.0.32733

Firmware: v7.2.4.5

Model: #rbr860

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Re: Unable to see Satellite AP

Thank you both for your assistance. At the end of the day, I unplugged all internet equipment in the house for like 10 min the reconnected one at a time. I also relocated the furtherst AP about 15' closer and is now as close as possible without sitting outside the MIL suite. After doing this, everything seems to have stabilized again and has been solid without a single drop or latency for a few days now (beyond the neighborhood power outage thanks to lack of notification from power company lol) 

I do have an issue when I walk between buildings that I have to reconnect to the AP in that building for some reason but it's easy to do. Not sure if this is a setting in the system or just how the Orbi is but as soon as I'm out of range of one, I have to reconnect to the other. Inconvenient and didn't do this with my old Deco system but it's easy to adjust for. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

So was the system working well before this security system was installed? 

Does this security system have wireless capabilities of it's own? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 20
Ericasjourney
Aspirant

So was the system working well before this security system was installed? Yes, worked seamlessly and FAST

Does this security system have wireless capabilities of it's own? All the different sensors (doors, motion, cams) connect wirelessly to the security hub. The hub is connected specifically to the ISP wifi and not the mesh. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Uncertain, the ISP equipment was provided by Suddenlink, now known as Optimum. It is an Altice branded equipment and I have no access to their stuff as they are a royal PITA. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended; I have no idea unfortunately how this is wired as the connection was already present in a new build. Builder was an idiot but as mentioned, I've had zero issues to date until just this week post install of the security system.

How many RBS are deployed? 1 main and 1 satellite
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ~2000 sq ft but two buildings. "A" is the approx location of the primary AP and "2" of the satellite in my home office. This is approximately ~50 ft and is about as close as I can possibly get short of running cables across the floor of my main home. Both APs are along outer walls of the buildings and "2" next to a window on top of the fridge there. 

2023-03-21_10h01_43.png

I have not rebooted the ISP or main router at this point in time, just the satellite 2x; once in it's original location closer to the door of the garage then again when relocating it into the kitchen of the office area where "2" is currently sitting. 

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi was working before the security system went in and not is experiencing problems and the security system is some wireless abilities, maybe the cause of what your seeing. Would be telling if you were to completely turn OFF this security system, as to not cause any alarms, and see if the Orbi worked again as before. 

Might ask the mfr of this security system about it's wifi abilities, channels and frequencies used. If there are any similar channels used as on the Orbi system, try and move the channels far apart from each system as possible. 

Message 4 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ericasjourney wrote:

This is connected directly to the ISP wifi rather than the mesh to avoid crowding my mesh network but since all security devices are wireless, wondering if this isn't the issue. 

My searches appear to indicate that the Vivint sensors operate in the 345MHz frequency range.

https://fccid.io/WDQ-DW10345 

Thus, the sensors are not likely to be interfering with Orbi WiFi.  If it is the base station that is connecting to WiFi, I suggest connecting the base station to Orbi WiFi and disabling the ISP WiFi.  My Simplisafe base station is connected to Orbi WiFi and has never created any sort of problem.

Message 5 of 20
Ericasjourney
Aspirant

Unfortunately I cannot disable the ISP Wi-Fi as we also have TV from them and they hardcode their Wi-Fi to the cable box and that will kill my cable (completely stupid I know). I KNOW their Wi-Fi and mine likely collide but cannot do a thing about it until the new ISP being built out moves into my neighborhood in the next 12 months

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

How close is the ISP modem and security devices hub to the Orbi RBR? I presume at least 10 feet or more distance? 

What channels is the ISP modem using for the TV? Far apart channels.

Seems like there maybe some noise going on here thats causing problems. 

Message 7 of 20
Ericasjourney
Aspirant

How close is the ISP modem and security devices hub to the Orbi RBR? I presume at least 10 feet or more distance? 

• Security hub - ~10ft from the ISP modem/router
  • Main Orbi - this is connected via ethernet and is physically about 20' away but the cabling would be likely 4x that far as it runs up a wall, through the attic and down to the location. 

What channels is the ISP modem using for the TV? Far apart channels.

• No clue, I have zero access to the modem and the ISP is the worst to deal with

Vivint is going to come next week to reconfirm the configuration of their equipment. The tech I just spoke with indicated they don't use wireless channels so not sure I actually got someone that knew what they were doing as I've never seen wireless devices that just magically work without traversing a specific or random channel. 

Message 8 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ericasjourney wrote:

they hardcode their Wi-Fi to the cable box

I notice the Optimum web site provides no details about "how this works". Does Optimum provide some sort of "box" and remote for each TV set in the house, and those boxes are connected to the Optimum box with WiFi?

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Might see if you can gain access to the ISP modem/router if that's possible. I would check there channels on there router to ensure there using far apart channels, 1 and 40 on there stuff and if you can change Orbi to 11 and 48. 

Ya, you'll need to see what the security devices configuration is, and if there is anything on there side that involves 2.4 or 5Ghz. If they don't then hopefully you can rule out this device though seems odd that after it was installed, you began to see problems. Why turning this system OFF as a test should be tried. 

Message 10 of 20
Ericasjourney
Aspirant

Correct - they provided the cable box and the Modem. The cable box only communicates via wifi to the modem and requires the connection in order to update channels and guides. It will ONLY speak to their equipment unless I wish to pay them even more for a cable box that does this across coax. They have a literal monopoly in this town at the moment until this new ISP completes their multi-year install. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably the source of some of this noise and such. 🙄

Message 12 of 20
Ericasjourney
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 - I have also suspected the satellite as the issue since I'm unable to see it when I log into the app. I tried logging into the web but when I do this, they now require you to download an app to your computer instead which am unable to do likely for another week or so due to some computer issues being worked on. Am I supposed to be able to view both the main and the satellite in the Android app or will it always only show the single connection?

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so for Android, there is  possible known issue of RBS or any RBS not appearing on Android version of the Orbi app. This seems to be across some or most Orbi AX systems. NG is aware of this. You can help by submitting a bug report if you see this problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Orbi app is only for Apple or Android devices. doesn't install on a PC. 

You can log into the RBRs web page using a PC or laptop and see the RBS connection here as well on the RBR web page. Do you see it here? 

Do you have a Apple device that you can check Orbi app with? 

Message 14 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ericasjourney wrote:

when I do this, they now require you to download an app to your computer....

I just set up an Orbi AX router recently and noticed that prominent page that talks about "Download Orbi app".  At the bottom of the screen in smaller type is a line that says "If you do not have a smartphone, then click here to proceed."  That will take you to the Orbi web management screen.  The computer uses only a web browser (no 'app'), but is appears that Netgear really wants customers to use the 'app'.

Message 15 of 20
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Thank you both for your assistance. At the end of the day, I unplugged all internet equipment in the house for like 10 min the reconnected one at a time. I also relocated the furtherst AP about 15' closer and is now as close as possible without sitting outside the MIL suite. After doing this, everything seems to have stabilized again and has been solid without a single drop or latency for a few days now (beyond the neighborhood power outage thanks to lack of notification from power company lol) 

I do have an issue when I walk between buildings that I have to reconnect to the AP in that building for some reason but it's easy to do. Not sure if this is a setting in the system or just how the Orbi is but as soon as I'm out of range of one, I have to reconnect to the other. Inconvenient and didn't do this with my old Deco system but it's easy to adjust for. 

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@ericasjourney19 wrote:

Is there a chance that the mobile device has an option for each remembered WiFi SSID to "Connect Automatically" and the option is not set?

What this sounds like is the device has lost connection with the Orbi and has gone into "Ready to Connect" state, but has not done so when the SSID reappeared.

Imagine, for example, that WiFi was set up in houses in two different cities with exactly the same SSID/password.  As soon as the device enters one house (or the other) we expect it to connect to WiFi automatically.  This is not "roaming", because there is no hand-off between access points on the same network.

Message 18 of 20
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Be happy to but cannot find an option in any sub-menu to mark as solved. They must have this hidden somewhere as even "find" does not locate anything that indicates solved or resolved. 

Message 19 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the Original Poster (OP) can click this:

CrimpOn_0-1679847425963.png

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation