Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade RBR40 to 960

TY2
Tutor
Tutor

Upgrade RBR40 to 960

Just bought new 960 system to upgrade from RBR40. Do I need to factory reset RBR40 and satellites before doing the new system install?

The old RBR40 system will go to electronics recycling and not sure if anyone can access our IP or device data if system not wiped first.

Does anyone know if NETGEAR will take the old RBR40 system back?  Like when Apple takes old devices back so they can recycle/dispose of them. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrade RBR40 to 960

They don't take them back but you can probably still get a decent amount from it as its a solid system. 

I'd factory reset it for sure through. 

Message 2 of 4
TY2
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for reply. 

There aren’t instructions that I can find for swapping systems. This is my thought process. Please advise. 

1) disconnect devices attached to router/satellites via ether cable
2) factory reset old system

4) set up new system per Orbi set up instructions using old SSID/Password 

5) reconnect devices to router/satellite via ether cable. 
6) in theory everything will seamlessly reconnect because I use old SSID/Password.  Fingers and toes crossed. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Correct.  I, personally, would change the sequence.

Set the new system up with exactly the same SSID/password as the old system.

Verify that all devices connect (as they should)

If anything goes wrong, you can always "go back" to the older system.

Before selling or discarding the old system, perform the Factory Reset on the router.  (Doesn't matter about satellites because they do not retain any configuration information.)

In addition, if you have done much configuration, such as assigning IP addresses to specific devices, it is usually better to perform those steps before swapping the old system for the new one.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7