Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from RBK50 to RBK753 - Placement Location position

jjlsetter
Aspirant

Upgrading from RBK50 to RBK753 - Placement Location position

Hello,

I currently have the RBK50 set with the router in my basement, then the satellite connected wirelessly one floor up on the opposite end of the house by about 30' if I'm estimating correctly. I am going to be upgrading to potentially the RBK753 with the router and 2 satellites. The current satellite location will be connected via ethernet backhaul (instead of wirelessly as it is now) but the second satellite would connected wirelessly to the router and be somewhere between 20-30' away from the router somewhat directly above the router two floors up. Additionally, the two satellites will be maybe 25-30' away from each other. I know it's recommended that each of the satellites be around 30' but I'm thinking that since they're all on different floors, they're at least pretty evenly spaced out, and one of the satellite's will be connected via the ethernet backhaul, I shouldn't run into any issues, right?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrading from RBK50 to RBK753 - Placement Location position

Should be ok.

Thought basements are not recommended places for any wifi router. Concrete and steel will cause some problems. 

Try it out and see how it goes. 

Message 2 of 4
jjlsetter
Aspirant

Gotcha. Currently, I haven't had any issues with my set-up of router in the basement and satellite on main floor. I'm just looking to upgrade for a bit of future proofing and since i'm getting more and more devices/smart home stuff in the house.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you set the incoming system using same SSID name and PW on the wifi, you can set up the RBR off line from the ISP modem first and get the new RBS and RBR setup.

Then turn OFF both incoming RBS and outgoing RBS.

THEN, disconnect the out going router from the ISP modem and connect the incoming router to the ISP modem and power cycle the modem OFF and back ON, then turn ON the incoming router. Leave the outgoing RBR ON. When the incoming RBR is ready, just power OFF the outgoing RBR. Your wireless devices should auto migrate to the new RBR signal. 

Power ON the incoming RBS and those should connect. 

I do this all the time when I change out a wifi system. Keep from having to reboot any wifi devices or make any changes on them.

As your getting the incoming system up and running off line, you might update FW first on it manually if you choose to do this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

Then go for deployment...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7