Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using 2 Orbi mesh systems for two separate ISPs at same location

Ruehoudon
Tutor

Using 2 Orbi mesh systems for two separate ISPs at same location

I currently have an Orbi RBR20 router and two satellites working with my Spectrum 400Mbps cable internet service.

Within the week, I will have AT&T 1Gb Fiber Optic internet service installed in my home, as well. Long story as to why, but it's to make sure I have a dedicated, reliable connection once my remote teaching resumes. I plan to use the AX6000/RBK853 specifically for the AT&T Fiber connection, and leave the Spectrum on the RBR20 mesh system to work with my household's other internet needs.

My question: Will this work? I assume it will-- but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, may I set up the new RBK853 on my existing Orbi app? Is it able to recognize and deal with two mesh systems at once?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

I recommend turning down the power output of the Orbi AC system to a lower setting as to not create a noise envrionment when the Orbi AX goes online. Also use far appart channels on each system, i.e. channel 1 on the Orbi AC and channel 11 on the Orbi AX. Same for 5Ghz. Not need to use different SSID name between the two systems as well.

Be sure placement between the systems is far appart as possible as well, 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 6
Ruehoudon
Tutor

That is immensely useful advice-- thank you so much. I will let you know how it goes when it's all set up.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Ruehoudon
Tutor

Update: both systems up and running- no interference at all. Turned out to be very easy to do this, after some initial weirdness with the ORBI app, which wanted to eliminate my RBR20 and replace it with the RBR850. A bit of patience and time sorted that out. Thanks very much, again.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements