Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using VPN on Orbi to access IKEA hub away from home

bjornand1
Aspirant

Using VPN on Orbi to access IKEA hub away from home

Hi, I have set up VPN on my Orbi RBR 50 system in order to connect to an IKEA Dirigera smart home hub when out of the house. The setup worked well, but I still cannot achieve what I want - when outside the home wifi the IKEA Smart app on my phone complains of no WiFi (I am then on 5G).

I notice that when connecting using OpenVPN on my phone, I get the ip 192.168.2.2, which is not in the same "series" as the devices at home, which are on 192.168.1.x, could this be the issue?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Most likely. 

Make contact with the mfr of the hub to see if VPN is supported or not. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@bjornand1 wrote:

I notice that when connecting using OpenVPN on my phone, I get the ip 192.168.2.2, which is not in the same "series" as the devices at home, which are on 192.168.1.x, could this be the issue?

No. This is not the issue.  Each of the Orbi models is slightly different in the way they handle VPN connections.  The original RBR50 assigns IP addresses in a different IP subnet to prevent broadcasts and multicasts from passing across the VPN, but it also creates a static router so that devices connected by VPN can connect to devices on the primary LAN.

Remote access to both the original Trådfri and the new Dirigera IKEA home hubs appears to be more complicated that one would have expected.  This discussion talks about ways customers have integrated the IKEA product into other home automation systems:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tradfri/comments/cmsxcy/newbie_question_access_over_the_internet/ 

Using a VPN connection puts the smartphone to access the same IP subnet as the hub, but the app may have been written to specifically look for a WiFi connection.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7