Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using the RBR 750 as an access point

tomsavini
Aspirant

Using the RBR 750 as an access point

Hello all,

Vi have a Netgear Orbi RBR 750 with one satellite.
It is working just fine. No complaints from kids/wife.

I did set it up to get one more WiFi network to separate it from the wired network in our house.

The problem is (I think) double nating. Sometimes a device that is wired can loose it's internet connection.
After googeling a lot I came to a conclusion: I want to set up the RBR 750 as bridged or access point. I am not sure if there is any differende. 
I did check the manual, but I am not 100% sure of how to do it. If I do anything wrong the kids/wife will have my head on a block 🙂

I think this is the way to do it. Think;
Disable the WiFi on the router from my ISP.
Connect a cable from the ISP router to one of the Orbi's ethernet ports (not the internet port).
Press the reset button on the RBR 750.
On a PC that is connected (wired) to the ISP's router, try to find the Orbi and set it up as an access point or bridged mode.

Have anyone here tried this?

Thanks a lot for any input 🙂

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Using the RBR 750 as an access point

what modem/gateway do you have from your isp?

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@tomsavini wrote:

Hello all,

Vi have a Netgear Orbi RBR 750 with one satellite.
It is working just fine. No complaints from kids/wife.

I did set it up to get one more WiFi network to separate it from the wired network in our house.

The problem is (I think) double nating. Sometimes a device that is wired can loose it's internet connection.
After googeling a lot I came to a conclusion: I want to set up the RBR 750 as bridged or access point. I am not sure if there is any differende. 
I did check the manual, but I am not 100% sure of how to do it. If I do anything wrong the kids/wife will have my head on a block 🙂

Disable the WiFi on the router from my ISP.
Connect a cable from the ISP router to one of the Orbi's ethernet ports (not the internet port).
Press the reset button on the RBR 750.
On a PC that is connected (wired) to the ISP's router, try to find the Orbi and set it up as an access point or bridged mode.

Have anyone here tried this?

Thanks a lot for any input 🙂

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@tomsavini wrote:

Disable the WiFi on the router from my ISP. Yes, most people do this to prevent having multiplt WiFi systems competing with each other for radio time.  It is OPTIONAL.  i.e. there is certainly no harm in removing the ISP WiFi, and it 'may' refult in better performance, but it is not necessary.
Connect a cable from the ISP router to one of the Orbi's ethernet ports (not the internet port). To the Internet (WAN) port. Always
Press the reset button on the RBR 750. This is also optional.
On a PC that is connected (wired) to the ISP's router, try to find the Orbi and set it up as an access point or bridged mode. This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Router/AP Mode.

Have anyone here tried this? Yes, people do it all the time.

Message 4 of 7
tomsavini
Aspirant

Hello Plemans,

Thanks for the input.
The router is provided by my ISP: FMG-3542
The settings are somewhat limited on the router

Message 5 of 7
tomsavini
Aspirant

Thanks for the input 🙂
The Orbi is located in another floor than the router from my ISP, so I turned off the wifi on my routers IPS and set the Orbi up as a AP. It was much easier than I thought.
I thought I had to reset the router, but the whole process was very easy: changed from router to AP mode.

I hope this willl solve my problems

Message 6 of 7
tomsavini
Aspirant

Thanks for the input - you guys are the best 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation