Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPA3 on Orbi RBK752?

jcrim
Tutor

WPA3 on Orbi RBK752?

I ordered an Orbi RBK752 this morning, which has WiFi 6 support and appears to be a newish product. (It's new enough that it won't accept this model # in the "Model" field when creating this post). But despite being new and (hopefully) awesomely fast, the product docs only list that it has WPA2/802.11i support. WPA3 has been out for a couple years, so this was something I overlooked when researching the product. I just ASSUMED that if it supported WiFi 6, it would also have WPA3.

C'mon, NetGear! WPA2 is ancient in tech years. It's unforgiveable for a $450 (or $700) new product to be missing WPA3.

Searching around, it looks like there may be some WPA3 support in newer firmware - perhaps with bugs, but if that's the case I would assume the bugs will be fixed, and WPA3 will be arriving without needing to buy a new product.

If this is not the case, I may have to return the Orbi after it arrives and keep shopping... 😞

If anyone has any info on WPA3 support in these newer products, I'd love to hear about it.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: WPA3 on Orbi RBK752?

@jcrim wrote:

It looks like the 85x and 75x models use different firmware, but both are similarly new with very similar features, and both don't list WPA3 on the web site or data sheet.

Not the Data Sheet, but on page 70 of the User Manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

I don't use WPA3 myself, but my RBK853 Orbi AX offers a WPA3 option for Wireless Security Options: WPA3-Personal [SAE]

I found this Netgear article about WPA3: https://kb.netgear.com/000060424/What-is-WPA3-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-NETGEAR-AX-router

Message 2 of 5
jcrim
Tutor

That's great Mikey94025 - thanks for the response. It sounds like there's hope, then. WPA3-Personal is what I'm looking for.

It looks like the 85x and 75x models use different firmware, but both are similarly new with very similar features, and both don't list WPA3 on the web site or data sheet.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@jcrim wrote:

Not the Data Sheet, but on page 70 of the User Manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

WPA3 is seen on my 850 series Orbi AX. WPA2 will be around for a long while until it it's deemed EOL by the wifi group whom over seas WPA security. It's not going away anytime soon for backwards compatiblity reasons. WPA1 is still around. It's going on almost 20 years in service. 

Please be sure to post about any Orbi AX questions and information in the Orbi AX forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Goock Luck. 

@jcrim wrote:

I ordered an Orbi RBK752 this morning, which has WiFi 6 support and appears to be a newish product. (It's new enough that it won't accept this model # in the "Model" field when creating this post). But despite being new and (hopefully) awesomely fast, the product docs only list that it has WPA2/802.11i support. WPA3 has been out for a couple years, so this was something I overlooked when researching the product. I just ASSUMED that if it supported WiFi 6, it would also have WPA3.

C'mon, NetGear! WPA2 is ancient in tech years. It's unforgiveable for a $450 (or $700) new product to be missing WPA3.

Searching around, it looks like there may be some WPA3 support in newer firmware - perhaps with bugs, but if that's the case I would assume the bugs will be fixed, and WPA3 will be arriving without needing to buy a new product.

If this is not the case, I may have to return the Orbi after it arrives and keep shopping... 😞

If anyone has any info on WPA3 support in these newer products, I'd love to hear about it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7