Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Webex issues with RBR750 setup

kingsxman
Star

Webex issues with RBR750 setup

I recently purchased an Orbi AX4200 system with the RBR750 router and 2 satellites.   I have only had it a few days.  I have the router plugged into an ethernet port on my Xfinity router.  (Forget which Xfinity/comcast router but one of the latest). 

The issue is that when I am going through the Orbi system and VPN'd into my work....Opening or starting a webex meeting with the webex client either doesnt work...or takes up to 5 minutes to load.   This is defintiely an issue with the Orbi as I can plug directly into my Comcast router everythign works great.    I chatted with tech support 2 days ago and they had me update the DNS server addresses on the Orbi from the Comcast DNS addresses that were in it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.   This seemed to resolve the issue...but now its back.  The addresses are still in there....so unsure whats going on. 

I will note that we use a Checkpoint VPN client and we do Split Tunneling with Webex.  So webex isnt sent through the VPN tunnel but should be going directly out the internet.   

I'll be calling support at some point but also throught I'd ask the community.   This is a deal breaker for me on keeping this if it cant be resolved. 

Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

Re: Webex issues with CBR750 setup

so the cbr750 system has its own integrated modem. you shouldn't have it connected through a xfinity device. 

So do you actually have the cbr system? or whats your model number? 

What xfinity modem do you have it connected to? many have their own integrated router as well. That can cause a double nat and issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 21
kingsxman
Star

My bad.  I was looking at the wrong thing. In logging into the Orbi modem itself its an RBR750.  

Your comment on the Orbi replacing the cable modem is interesting.   The instructions that came with the Orbi were incredibly basic.  It "looked" like, in the instructions,  The orbi DID replace the cable modem...however...there is no coaxial connection on the Orbi router.  So...thats not going to work.  When i asked the Netgear technician on the chat about it she said that it was fine to just plug it into an open ethernet port on the Xfinity router.  

My Xfinity router is a Technicolor CGM4331COM

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

so the CGM4331COM has its own integrated router function. Its an XB7 modem/router combo device. 

It can cause a double nat situation. 

options to try (only use 1)?

1. put the CGM4331COM in modem only mode. this disables its router function. 

2. put the Netgear in access point mode. it disables its routing fuction and several other functions, wireless and ethernet still work fine but it leaves the xb7 controlling the actual routing. Tends to be the simplest route. If you do this, disable the wireless on the xb7 to prevent interference. 

Message 4 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'm in a double nat situation.  My routers network is 10.0.x.x and i see the orbi is 192.168.x.x

I'll look into doing your suggestions.  Doesnt the Xfinity router have to be in "router" mode so that it will nat the source traffic going to the internet?  If it functions as only a modem will it still do that? 

Message 5 of 21
kingsxman
Star

BTW, what functionality do I lose with putting the Orbi in access point mode?

Message 6 of 21
plemans
Guru

You just need to choose 1 option depending on what services you use. 

If you're using xfinitys security services/parental controls/etc (not sure what else they offer on their boxes) then you'd want to leave it as router with the netgear in AP (access point) mode. 

If you're using netgears parental controls/circle/armor, then you'd want it as router with the xfinity in modem only mode. 

Or if you're using both, you can go into the xfinity's and put the netgears IP address into the xfinity's dmz. little more challenging option but also an option. 

You can even try swapping to see which works better for you. 

Try it 

xfinity (modem only)----->netgear router mode

xfinity (modem/router combo)----->netgear (ap  mode)

I switch stuff around a lot because I have time and like to play. But that's just me. 

Message 7 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Thanks again for the help.  I'm not using any of those so I'll just play around when i get time today and see what works for me and if either results in my Webex issue going away.  

Thank you for the quick replies!!!

Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

Message 9 of 21
kingsxman
Star

So I put my Orbi in AP mode and that has seemed to resolve the issue.  Thank you.

Regarding that list:  Wow.  Thats quite the list.  However i see that my guest network is still available.  But in general..it looks like you really neuter your ability to do much with this in AP mode.  I suppose the only thing I could do is make a move to the CBR750.  Correct? 

Not sure if this is worth keeping at this point.  Paying a premium for this device and having to run it like this maybe isnt going to work...

Message 10 of 21
plemans
Guru

You can put the XB7 in modem only mode and run the orbi in router mode. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 12 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Thanks again.  So I have my cable modem in bridge mode and am back to the router mode for the Orbi.  A little concerned as the first time i loaded a webex meeting it was pretty slow...but eventally came up.  Fast after that.  We'll see how work goes tomorrow but hopefully this will do the trick.   Thank you very much for all your help.  Greatly appreciated. 

Message 13 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Well...kind of back to square 1.  Have made no changes since last night but cant start a meeting this morning or join a meeting via the web ex client.   I have Xfinity modem in bridge mode with Orbi in router mode.     so far..the only thing that seemed to work (yesterday) was Xfinity modem in router mode and orbi in AP mode.

Frustrating.  Unsure what to try next.  But right now am thinking that if this will only work consistantly for me with Orbi in AP mode....in which I lose all that functionality....it may not be worth it.  

Message 14 of 21
plemans
Guru

it wouldn't be the first time an ISP device didn't configure bridge mode properly 

You can try it with the route @FURRYe38 described with both devices in router mode but plugging the IP address for the Orbi into the XB7's dmz. this article is for wifi but basically use the IP address of the orbi to enter into the XB7's dmz. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/configure-dmz-wifi

Message 15 of 21
kingsxman
Star

No love.  I have the Cable modem in router mode with the Orbi set up in the dmz.   Following instructions from the link.  The orbi is also in router mode.  Same situation as before:  if webex loads at all...it takes 5 minutes.    

i was thinking it was the double nat issues...but oddly when i turn off my VPN....it seems to work fine.  The webex sites are split tunneld through my Checkpoint VPN client. So I would expect the same behaviour.  The problem is...if i go back to pluggind directly into the cable modem.....with the VPN client working it works.  

Unsure what to try next.   Once again...the help is appreciated. 

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ao go back to router mode on the modem and set AP mode on the RBR. Does this configuration work? 

Message 17 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Yes. That works.  But i guess my feeling is if that is the answer...i dont know that this is a solution i want to keep since I am losing alot of functionality of the Orbi.    They're not exactly cheap... 

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

And to confirm, you have a RBR750 or a CBR750? 

If it works better in AP mode and not in router mode, this would point to there being a problem between the ISP modem and Orbi router in router mode. Possible the ISP modem isn't working well with the Orbi router in router mode, even if the Modem is bridged or using DMZ. 

Message 19 of 21
kingsxman
Star

Correct.  RBR.  I believe if it was a CBR it would have a coax connection on it....and it does not. 

I do agree that its maybe an issue between Orbi and Cable modem.  The question is: if i went with another manufacture other than netgear....would i have the same issue?  Unfortunatly no way to find out. 

Someone mentioned earlier that some modems dont do bridge mode correctly.  Could very well be the problem.  I can potentially check with Xfinity community also..  

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, some ISP modesm don't bridge correctly nor when in router mode, there DMZ may or may not work correctly as well. These gateway modems can be problematic at times.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7