Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What security do I get without Armor? (AX6000 - SBK853)

MartinoBianco
Aspirant

What security do I get without Armor? (AX6000 - SBK853)

Hi all,

For privacy reasons I'm reluctant to use the Orbi phone app or to use an account setting up my Orbi's: AX6000 (SBK853). So far, the web configuration interface has worked out fine.

But as this seems to mean I'm not getting to use Armor, I'm interested what I do get for security. e.g. I'm not seeing any options to turn a Firewall on or off in the web interface. So does this mean it's always on..? That would be fine.

I'm seeing an option to configure a default DMZ server, I can configure port forwarding...

My question: What is the default security set-up without adding Armor?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@MartinoBianco wrote:

The default security is that the Orbi (like all modern routers) does not accept connections from the internet. Not to the Orbi and not to any devices on the Orbi LAN. Unless the owner deliberately activates UpNP or Forwards ports, this protection is absolute.

In addition, most devices in modern homes include the same sort of firewall protection.

Modern web traffic is all encrypted.

What Armor claims to provide is here: https://www.netgear.com/home/services/armor/ 

A large component is Bitdefender software for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.  If you already subscribe to an anti-virus product then I don't know if buying Bitdefender is a good idea or not.

Another component is Bitdefender VPN to install on devices that are carried outside the home and used with other WiFi systems (airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc.) If you have not already purchased a VPN product, this may have value.  Although, once again, most things people do remotely are already encrypted.

The thing that is "different" is that Armor appears to periodically scan devices that are connected inside the LAN and report on their vulnerabilities.  People come to this forum now and then asking, "How do I get Armor to quit complaining about my TV's 37 vulnerabilities?"

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There isn't. 

but you can always use your own setup for security. You're in no way obliged to use Armor. 

There is always a 30 day free trial you can use to see if you like it. 

Message 2 of 6
MartinoBianco
Aspirant

To be honest, I was not expecting this to be the answer. I buy a four digit system and it doesn't come with basic security... Not without an added subsription anyway... Wow.

What do you practicaly mean when you say "use your own set up"? Install someting manually on the Orbi (that would be ok-ish) or having extra hardware between the WAN and the Orbi (not so ok)?  Can you point me in the right direction to find out more?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There is the general Firewall that is included. Automatic. All routers have this. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@MartinoBianco wrote:

The default security is that the Orbi (like all modern routers) does not accept connections from the internet. Not to the Orbi and not to any devices on the Orbi LAN. Unless the owner deliberately activates UpNP or Forwards ports, this protection is absolute.

In addition, most devices in modern homes include the same sort of firewall protection.

Modern web traffic is all encrypted.

What Armor claims to provide is here: https://www.netgear.com/home/services/armor/ 

A large component is Bitdefender software for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.  If you already subscribe to an anti-virus product then I don't know if buying Bitdefender is a good idea or not.

Another component is Bitdefender VPN to install on devices that are carried outside the home and used with other WiFi systems (airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc.) If you have not already purchased a VPN product, this may have value.  Although, once again, most things people do remotely are already encrypted.

The thing that is "different" is that Armor appears to periodically scan devices that are connected inside the LAN and report on their vulnerabilities.  People come to this forum now and then asking, "How do I get Armor to quit complaining about my TV's 37 vulnerabilities?"

Message 5 of 6
MartinoBianco
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for laying that out so clearly.

People like you make forums like this tick!

Have a nice day.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7