- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Mark Topic as New
- Mark Topic as Read
- Float this Topic for Current User
- Printer Friendly Page
So I have a recently purchased 752 kit, and am currently running it in router mode. I am contemplating switching it to AP mode, using an old Asus RT-AC68U as router for the following reasons:
1. I would have to pay for Armor, and AiProtection through the Asus is FREE (and I believe just as good, if not better)
2. The Asus (especially with Merlin) has far greater features/controls - the Orbi UI is sadly lacking/dumbed down compared to the Asus
3. My service is only 100Mbps, so I'm not worried about Wan - Lan throughput
4. Asus routers (as far as I know) are not running into the TM/DNS issues currently being seen in some Orbi setups
5. Seems to me that Asus is just better at routing overall than Orbis (Nighthawk series aside)
Anyone running Orbi AX as APs to Asus routers? Any problems/issues arise?
Re: Why Pay?
I've ran mine in AP mode with other NG and non NG routers. No issues seen. Just be sure you disable wifi radios on the host router is all.
My Setup | ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX30 Gateway Mode | Wifi Router and RBK853 | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M |
Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50v2, XR450/500/700/1000, EX7500/EX7700
Re: Why Pay?
I've setup my Orbi with my Asus AC87R. Works great. A lot more visibility on the Asus router. Orbi router mode is lacking.. pretty sad for a 2020 system. Also you can set the Asus DHCP server to handout a different DNS server. Orbi, there's no option and you're SOL if you have the infamous DNS issue.