Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why is Orbi AX4200 broadcasting hidden SSID in addition to hidden backhaul and how to disable it

schlandleben
Aspirant

Why is Orbi AX4200 broadcasting hidden SSID in addition to hidden backhaul and how to disable it?

What is the purpose for the duplicate hidden SSID that the Orbi broadcasts? Seems to be something all the Orbi models do. I know there is a hidden SSID in the high 5GHz range used for wireless backhaul. But there is also a hidden SSID on the 2.4GHz and on the 5GHz frequenzy that mirrors the same channel range and signal strength as the main SSID. It sounds like older Orbi systems have the option to turn those off under advanced wifi settings but the AX4200 doesn't (yet?). I get why there is the one used for wireless backhaul but can anyone explain what the purpose for the other ones is? I would have thought less channel crowding would be better.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why is Orbi AX4200 broadcasting hidden SSID in addition to hidden backhaul and how to disable it

Any hidden SSIDs can't be disabled. They are used by the system and run always. Even of the RBS are ethernet connected. The hidden SSID need to be there in case the RBS loose connection over ethernet, so they have something fall back on in case of ethernet failure. Orbi AC is the same. 

Message 2 of 7
schlandleben
Aspirant

"The hidden SSID need to be there in case the RBS loose connection over ethernet, so they have something fall back on in case of ethernet failure. "

Thanks. That explains why you can't disable the hidden SSID used for wireless backhaul but it doesn't explain the purpose of the other hidden SSIDs. The are several forum posts here that showed that older units had the option to disable broadcasting them under the advanced WiFi settings so they couldn't have been that instrumental for the system to function. Wouldn't it cause more channel crowding to have them overlap? Some other post here mentioned they gained a modest speed bump after disabling them.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC system don't have any way fo disabling hidden SSIDs. Something that isn't supported on any current Orbi System. There are some telnet featuers however thats again, not supported by NG. 

Are you sure it's from your orbi system or possible a neighboring wifi system? Also your wifi scanning app maybe displaying the hidden SSID from each unit which is how some wifi analyzer apps work, nothing having to do with Orbi. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What hidden SSID are you seeing? What channel is it using? 

Does it go away when your turn off the RBR and RBS? 

Message 5 of 7
schlandleben
Aspirant

In addition to the hidden SSID in the high 5GHz range that's used for backhaul, there is another hidden SSID on the 2.4GHz band that exactly mirrors the channel and signal strength of the main network. And yes, it's definitely from the Orbi. It moves with the main network when I set the main network to a different channel and disappears when I turn off the Orbi.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What wifi analyzer are you using? 

I also see this on my neighbors Orbi system as well. I think they have a 50 series Orbi...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7