Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

Yayo12
Aspirant

Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

Model is the AX6000 RBK853 (I could not find it in the options above)

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk853.aspx

Hey guys

I just received my brand new Orbi mesh system and I am extremely excited about it. I have a 1Gb speed at home and I can see my wifi speed is closer to 600M with the latest Intel Wireless cards I installed on my laptops. My question is regarding the wired connection from both of my satellites. I was expecting to get closer to 1GB from the satellites, yet I am only getting around 250M.

Why is this? What can I do to troubleshoot this? I actually purchased this system in hopes of having 1GB all across my house both wifi and wired.

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired connection a fraction of Wifi

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Try setting CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 5
Yayo12
Aspirant

Thank you. Let me try to answer all the questions I currently have an answer to

What Firmware version is currently loaded? 

The very last one. I installed this system on Tuesday and it immediatley asked me to update to the latest firmware. V3.2.16.22

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Netgear CM1000

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2252sq ft.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?
The distance between the router and one of the satellites is not even 15 ft. This is because my internet cable comes directly to my TV room yet some of my computers are in an adjacent room. One of the reasons I purchased this system was to have ultra fast wired connection in this room. What i am finding though is that the wired speed coming from the satellites is not what I was expecting.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Where can I change the channels?  I have clicked everywhere on the app and I cannot find that setting?

Yes there are neighbors, I can see a multitude of wifi networks on my mobile phone

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Try setting CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Where/how can I do all this?

If you mean "Armor" the security feature that comes with the app. I did disable that and my wired speed increased by about 30Mb but it was not considerable. Again, my issue is with the wired speed coming out of my satellites (both of them). If I connect directly to the router I do get my 1GB of speed.

Please help me by indicating where cna I go to change the channels and all the other settings you recommended.

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
McLong
Apprentice

If I understand you correctly you are testing your wired connection using the same PC that you tested your new wireless AX card. Is your WiFi turned on and connected while also hard wired with ethernet cable? If so, just turn off your WiFi and try running a speed test again while hard wired to the RBR and RBS. Did this help?
Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@Yayo12 wrote:

My question is regarding the wired connection from both of my satellites. I was expecting to get closer to 1GB from the satellites, yet I am only getting around 250M.

Why is this? What can I do to troubleshoot this? I actually purchased this system in hopes of having 1GB all across my house both wifi and wired.

Thanks

What size network cable are you using to connect your PC to the router? Should be Cat5e or bigger. If it is a Cat5 cable, you will lose wired connection speed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7