Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000+Orbi

KyleK
Star

XR1000+Orbi

Can I mix and match Netgear XR100 and Netgear Orbi and make them work together somehow? Goal is to have the gaming options on the XR1000 and stability of the Orbi working together in tandem? 

Message 1 of 26
plemans
Guru

Fully integrate together? No. The XR1000 isn't a mesh router. 

But you can setup the XR1000 in router mode and then connect the orbi to it in access point mode. Have your gaming stuff and devices close to the XR1000 on it with the things on the peripheral connected to the orbi (or mobile devices that move around). 

Just make sure to have the XR1000 on a different wireless channels to prevent interference. And a different ssid as the devices won't roam between the xr1000 and the mesh as efficiently. 

I've done it before and it works fine. It doesn't integrate like one whole system but if setup properly, you don't even notice. 

Message 2 of 26
KyleK
Star

Thank you for the help. I’ll try it later today and report back. 

Message 3 of 26
plemans
Guru

good luck!

Message 4 of 26
KyleK
Star

Thanks. Do I turn off wifi on the xr1000 or Orbi? Sorry

Message 6 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

XR. Just hit the wifi LED button on the top of the router for 3 seconds then release. 

Message 7 of 26
KyleK
Star

Ok. All the lan cables connected to the Orbi stay on Orbi or I plug them in the XR?
Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You can keep all plugged into Orbi. 

For any wired gaming, you can connect those devices directly to the XR if you like. 

Message 9 of 26
KyleK
Star

Ok. As soon as I set Orbi to be a AP I lost internet. Wi-Fi on the XR is off. What am I missing?

Edit: Restarted everything and it’s working fine. I’ll keep watching this and see how they perform together.
I appreciate your help!
Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You will temporarily loose internet. 

What Orbi model do you have? 

I recommend this, set the XR default DHCP IP address range to .100 to .200. 

When when you configure the RBR for AP mode, use Set Static Configuration. 
Set the IP address on the RBR for 192.168.1.(first two numbers of RBR model here) i.e. 192.168.1.85. 

Set same Subnet mask as XR which should be 255.255.255.0

Gateway will be the XR routers IP address which should be 192.168.1.1

DNS you can use same XR gateway IP address or input a custom DNS addresses here, google, cloudfare or Quad9 works here for both DNS. 

Apply the change and the RBR should reboot. 

After it reboots the RBR should have internet access and front LED should go from PINK to BLUE the OFF or PINK To OFF. 

Message 11 of 26
plemans
Guru

Make sure when the orbi is switched to AP mode that its connected to the XR. 

So it goes modem---->xr1000---->wan port on orbi. 

Personally, I wouldn't turn off wifi on the xr1000. Its got a rock solid wireless. Just make sure it uses a different ssid and on different channels. It'll take some burden off the orbi

Message 12 of 26
KyleK
Star

Ok I will apply those settings because I talked too soon. Wired seems to be working fine but wireless disconnected again and stayed disconnected.

Edit: I have the RBR960 model
Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 14 of 26
KyleK
Star

2400 sq ft. Orbi and satellite(1 connected right now) are more than 30 feet apart. 

I believe channels are set to auto. It’s working right now so I’m afraid to touch lol but I’m not sure if it’s set to the optimal settings. I’d like it to be.

I left the wifi on on the XR1000.

A few neighbors nearby. 

Message 15 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok for that size of home, you'll only need one RBS. I'd even turn down the power on the RBR to 50% as well. 

Disable the wifi radio on the XR now. 

Message 16 of 26
KyleK
Star

Ok, I’ll turn off the Wi-Fi on the XR when I get back home.
Just curious, what’s the idea behind turning down the power on the RBR to 50%?
Message 17 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Adjusting for smaller sized homes, placement of the system, wifi signal over lap and help devices connect to the RBS rather then the RBR. 

Message 18 of 26
KyleK
Star

Thanks.

Turned off the wifi on the XR. 
I’m sorry but how do I turn down the power on the RBR to 50%?

Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 20 of 26
KyleK
Star

The option is unavailable since I’m using the Orbi as an AP. If I change it to Router mode and change it back to AP after I put it to 50% would that break anything at this point? Everything has been working since yesterday so far. 

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't see that in AP mode on the RBR under Advanced Tab? 😮

Message 22 of 26
KyleK
Star

My bad. Actually I see it now. I’m on my iPad and the option showed up when I changed to use the iPad horizontally. 
Lowered both 2.4GHz and 5GHz to 50% now. 

Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Message 24 of 26
plemans
Guru

I'd play with the power levels a little. 

2.4ghz has more penetration power and broadcast distance because of how it works so you might find 25% works better. 

And 5ghz with its shorter range and less penetration might do better with 75%. 

But play with it and test its speeds/roaming and see how it works. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7