Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Zoom and Unstable Internet

PeterHK
Guide

Zoom and Unstable Internet

I’ve recently encountered a problem where I cannot receive Zoom audio and receive Internet Unstable messages. I have the RBR850 with 3 wired satellites and a 1GB fibre optic internet connection, upload and download speeds are consistently in excess of 900mps. Audio video streaming via other other channels such as YouTube or Teams are working normally and this is a new issue with Zoom which was previously working normally as well. Zoom is working normally if I hotspot my laptop from my mobile phone, so it would appear that the Orbi has a conflict of some sort with the Zoom network requirements. Can anyone assist me with this?
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
PeterHK
Guide

Re: Zoom and Unstable Internet

After much frustration I have finally resolved the audio issues with Zoom, this follows extensive troubleshooting with the local support team, who have been excellent and even provided a complete replacement of new hardware with the problem continuing. The local support provided an advance load of firmware 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 and Zoom audio is now working normally regardless of Wifi, LAN,etc.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway is the orbi connected to?

2. what firmware is on the router and the satellites?

3. have you noticed a difference if different devices try zoom? (basically do they all have the issues or just one)

4. have you noticed if its a difference from devices connected to the router or the satellite? 

Message 2 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

To answer your questions.

1) Huawei HG8040H (ISP is Netvigator Hong Kong)
2)Router v4.6.3.16_2.0.51
Satellites v4.6.3.16
3) all Devices connected via the Orbi have the same problem. Ie MacBook, iPad, iPhone
4) no difference, have also tried both WiFi and wired via the orbi
Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 21
Patone407
Tutor

In addition to the pre-release firmware version from the above post, you should also take a look at the "Disable SIP ALG" setting in Advanced tab...Setup...WAN Setup.

I was encountering the same problem as you while testing an Orbi RBK752 given to me that used to be what my brother was using. When I received it I updated to the current production firmware release and when I saw the pre-release firmware I switched to it. 

I thought all was well, speed matches my ISP plan, and YouTube & Roku video streaming is fine. Until I noticed that only in Zoom calls there were frequent "Unstable internet" notifications, cyclical audio freezes (several times a minute), and occasional video freezes. 

I do not see the symptoms when I swapped out the Orbi with my regular Netgear R7450 router, that I've used since 2018, on the same 6 person group Zoom call.

I compared the settings and the big difference was the "Disable SIP ALG" WAN setting. So I unchecked "Disable SIP ALG" on the Orbi to match what my Netgear R7450 had and things have been fine with Zoom thru the Orbi for about 10 days now. Apparently the state of the SIP ALG setting can affect VOIP / video communications apps.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using? 

I believe Disable SIP ALG is enabled by default in FW. 

@Patone407 wrote:

In addition to the pre-release firmware version from the above post, you should also take a look at the "Disable SIP ALG" setting in Advanced tab...Setup...WAN Setup.

I was encountering the same problem as you while testing an Orbi RBK752 given to me that used to be what my brother was using. When I received it I updated to the current production firmware release and when I saw the pre-release firmware I switched to it. 

I thought all was well, speed matches my ISP plan, and YouTube & Roku video streaming is fine. Until I noticed that only in Zoom calls there were frequent "Unstable internet" notifications, cyclical audio freezes (several times a minute), and occasional video freezes. 

I do not see the symptoms when I swapped out the Orbi with my regular Netgear R7450 router, that I've used since 2018, on the same 6 person group Zoom call.

I compared the settings and the big difference was the "Disable SIP ALG" WAN setting. So I unchecked "Disable SIP ALG" on the Orbi to match what my Netgear R7450 had and things have been fine with Zoom thru the Orbi for about 10 days now. Apparently the state of the SIP ALG setting can affect VOIP / video communications apps.

Message 6 of 21
Patone407
Tutor

On my Orbi RBK752 I'm using v4.6.7.5 and I've done the hard reset switch and firmware reset to default setting when I received it from my brother before I did the firmware upgrades. The "Disable SIP ALG" setting being check-marked must be the default for this router.

I don't recall tinkering around with this setting in my R7450 since I have not changed any setting since 2018/2019 and I've been using Zoom with the router in 2020/2021. Since the setting was not check-marked I tried it on the Orbi and things are well with Zoom (desktop / PC version).  

Zoom has frequent updates so I don't know if app optimizations makes it SIP ALG friendly. Have not yet tried other video call apps I use like Skype, Facetime since the switch to Orbi.

Message 7 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

Unfortunately I have run out of ideas on how to resolve this and I’m conjunction with the local support team have tried the following in incremental steps without any success: DNS settings updated to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 Router MAC Address set to ‘Use Computer MAC Address’ 2.4GHz Channel set to 1 and 5GHz Channel set to 48 Region confirmed as Hong Kong Deselected ‘Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence’ CTS/RTS Threshold set to 2347 Preamble mode set to ‘Short Preamble’ Set ‘Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection’ NAT Filtering set to ‘Open’ Disable SIP ALG - have tried both selected and unselected, currently unselected Have tried factory resets and new setup. If I plug a laptop directly into my modem the Zoom operates normally, however if I connect it via a LAN cable to the Orbi router or connect over WiFi, I have normal video and unusable audio on Zoom. The local agent has also just replaced my Orbi setup with a new set and the problem continues.
Message 8 of 21
Patone407
Tutor

Yeah you've touched on just about all the major settings commonly adjusted for the Orbi.

The only option I see to try is to disable Wifi 6/AX capabilities (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) on the Orbi so it "dumbs down" to a Wifi 5 router, then maybe try the "Disable SIP ALG" settings again. The setting is under Basic tab...Wireless

I wish the Orbi allowed the option to segregate 2.4 & 5GHz signals so we can force the devices to connect to a particular one. 2.4GHz signal, although slower throughput than 5 GHz, are able to travel farther and penetrate walls better than 5ghz. I'm not used to the Orbi automagically determining/switching 2.4 vs 5 GHz with the same wifi SSID name, makes it more cumbersome in troubleshooting.

Message 9 of 21
Patone407
Tutor

With regards to my settings on Orbi RBK752 v4.6.7.5 that I settled on when researching my Zoom & Orbi issue:

- Unchecked "Disable SIP ALG" (to match my NG R7450 Wifi5 router that Zoom had no issues);

- Disabled AX for 2.4GHz, Enabled AX for 5GHz (originally i had it disabled but enabled it and found Zoom was still stable for me);

- My RBR and RBS antenna power at 50% (small house, can do without the RBS but wanted to see to how mesh works);

- CTS/RTS at 2347 (to match my NG R7450 router that Zoom had no issues);

- Chose a static channel for 2.4GHz, while default 48 on 5GHz;

Other changes I have which has no effect of wifi:

Chose an NTP time server pool.ntp.org rather the netgear's;

Use Quad9 DNS servers than default ISP.

I'm tempted to enable/check the "Disable SIP ALG" to see if my Zoom issue returns. 

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ONT in? Router or bridged? 

Try the Orbi system in AP mode with the ONT in router mode and test Zoom. 

@PeterHK wrote:
To answer your questions.

1) Huawei HG8040H (ISP is Netvigator Hong Kong)
2)Router v4.6.3.16_2.0.51
Satellites v4.6.3.16
3) all Devices connected via the Orbi have the same problem. Ie MacBook, iPad, iPhone
4) no difference, have also tried both WiFi and wired via the orbi

Message 11 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

After much frustration I have finally resolved the audio issues with Zoom, this follows extensive troubleshooting with the local support team, who have been excellent and even provided a complete replacement of new hardware with the problem continuing. The local support provided an advance load of firmware 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 and Zoom audio is now working normally regardless of Wifi, LAN,etc.
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Sounds like it was HW issue.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

actually I dont believe it was a HW issue as the problem continued with the complete set of new hardware. I think it was the firmware versionv 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 that caused a conflict with Zoom of some sort, it was not until I loaded firmware version 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 that the problem was resolved.
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I thought you had loaded it already since I had pointed you to v5 early on?

Message 15 of 21
garychoybobby
Aspirant

I have the same problem.   I have the RBR850 with 2 wired satellites and a 1GB fibre optic internet connection, upload and download speeds are consistently more than 900mps.  The audio drops for a few seconds every 10 to 15 mins when using zoom.  Where can I find the 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 firmware?  Thx.

Message 16 of 21
garychoybobby
Aspirant

I am using RBK853 in HK with Netvigator.  Have you really solved audio drops for a few seconds when using zoom?  I want to try the 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 but it is not official release.

Message 17 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

I received the firmware update from Winco Support who are the Netgear distributors in HKG, they were extremely helpful and very responsive in trying to troubleshoot the issue.  Note: To ensure that the satellite is connected to the main route, you need to update the satellite first and then the main route when flashing the firmware 1. Download the firmware. (RBR850 is Router’s Firmware RBS850 is Satellite’s Firmware) 2. The management interface of the login subject via : orbilogin.net or 192.168.1.1 3. Basic > Connected Devices > View the IP address of the Satellite and visit > Firmware Update > After importing the firmware of the satellite (RBS850) , upload it. 4. Go back to the management interface of the main router, click Advanced > Management > Firmware Update > After importing the firmware of the main router, (RBR850) click Upload. 5. Restore the factory settings, (note that after restoring the factory settings, all settings will be restored to default), and then establish the synchronization between the host and the extension, and configure the Internet. Put the main router unit and the satellite together first, first press the sync button on the main body, and then press the button on the satellite (the light of the main clone will flash, but after the clone is successfully connected, the light will be off) Multiple clones need to be synchronized with the main body respectively.

Message 18 of 21
garychoybobby
Aspirant

Thank you, Peter

Message 19 of 21
garychoybobby
Aspirant

Peter,

Thx.  Finally problem sloved. 

My wifi download speed can go up to 800-900Mbps, but the upload speed can only have 200Mbps.  Do you have the same result too?

Upload and download can go up to 9xxMbps when I connect the router with cable.

Message 20 of 21
PeterHK
Guide

thats great news I appreciate how frustrating the unreliable Zoom audio was., it appears that must have been some sort of conflict with the Orbi firmware and Netvigator fibre optic broadband which this software patch has resolved. I haven't noticed any real change in upload/download speeds after the firmware upgrade, I typically get 900+ upload/download at the router measured by the Orbi app and around 500+ upload/download speeds on WiFi using Speedtest, occasionally I can measure around 700-800Mbps on WiFi but not very often
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7