Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can orbi RBR50 and RBR750 run simultaneously

ellen2298
Apprentice

can orbi RBR50 and RBR750 run simultaneously

Sorry if I sound really ignorant. This is my first post here and I am sadly a self educated network newbie for my home. We first had google wifi and then switched to the OrbiRBK53 about 1 year ago. We needed to shift the satellites because of dead zones from concrete walls.  Due to this shifting we either need another RBS50 or go a different route.

We currently have a 600mbps internet speed through Xfinity with an XB6 modem. My understanding is that it is Docsis 3.1.  I didn't realize this  3.1 to begin with. I attempted a MoCA network with the Orbi network actiontec devices but it wouldn't work. After much time with their support we believe it is related to the Docsis issue. Also tried to connect my old google wifi as a secondary router and couldn't get that to even set up.

We then  thought we should buy another RBS50 but with the high price and the thought that we may increase the speed to 1gbps service I thought maybe we should buy the RBK752/753 now instead. The problem is I know that the RBS50s that we already have will not connect as satellites but here are my questions:

1. Can the RBS50s be set up as extender instead of satellite so they can be used and I only need an RBK752?

2. If not can the RBK53 and the RBK752 both be connected to the modem(which is already in bridge mode) and run simultaneously so that I can still use both devices and get the coverage I need for a weird shaped home with concrete walls?

Any other suggestions on how to help?

Sorry so wordy!

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@ellen2298 wrote:

Sorry if I sound really ignorant. This is my first post here and I am sadly a self educated network newbie for my home. We first had google wifi and then switched to the OrbiRBK53 about 1 year ago. We needed to shift the satellites because of dead zones from concrete walls.  Due to this shifting we either need another RBS50 or go a different route.

We currently have a 600mbps internet speed through Xfinity with an XB6 modem. My understanding is that it is Docsis 3.1.  I didn't realize this  3.1 to begin with. I attempted a MoCA network with the Orbi network actiontec devices but it wouldn't work. After much time with their support we believe it is related to the Docsis issue. Also tried to connect my old google wifi as a secondary router and couldn't get that to even set up.

We then  thought we should buy another RBS50 but with the high price and the thought that we may increase the speed to 1gbps service I thought maybe we should buy the RBK752/753 now instead. The problem is I know that the RBS50s that we already have will not connect as satellites but here are my questions:

1. Can the RBS50s be set up as extender instead of satellite so they can be used and I only need an RBK752?

Unforuneately the RBS50 are not wirelessly compatible at this time with Orbi AX. You can however ethernet wire connect them to the RBR750 and they will work in that capacity. 

2. If not can the RBK53 and the RBK752 both be connected to the modem(which is already in bridge mode) and run simultaneously so that I can still use both devices and get the coverage I need for a weird shaped home with concrete walls?

You could have either 50 or 750 series be your main host system, then connect either left over sytem in AP mode to the back of the other and use it for additional coverage, though the other system in AP mode will need to have a different SSID name from the other system. And channels used on each system would need to be set far appart, 50 series set to channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 750 series set to channel 11. Same with 5Ghz. Placement would be important aswell. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I think for easy of configuration, #1 would be best. Especially with concrete walls. Unless your into more advanced configurations and fiddling around and like to tinker. 

Another configuration would be to change the ISP modem back to router, disable it's wifi radios, then you could set up both Orbi systems in AP mode behind the ISP router. Still need two separate SSID names for each system. 

Any other suggestions on how to help?

Sorry so wordy!

Thank your for all the information. Wordy is fine. 

Message 2 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thank you for responding so quickly. One thing I forgot to mention is that I use the Circle app for my kids's internet so I believe I can't use the orbi in access point mode. Is that correct?

If in option 2 you gave, if the 750 is the router will it run Circle?

If circle only runs on the RBR50 and I make the 750 an access point, do I connect it to the back of the RBR50 near the modem? If yes than can I still use the 750 satellite closer to the room with the dead areas if I don't have wall ethernet?  

Sorry if these are ignorant questions. I don't mind tinkering at all.

If I change the Xfinity modem back to router out of bridge mode and disable the wifi and put both systems as access points I assume I can't use circle, correct?

Thanks so much!!

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@ellen2298 wrote:

Thank you for responding so quickly. One thing I forgot to mention is that I use the Circle app for my kids's internet so I believe I can't use the orbi in access point mode. Is that correct? Correct

If in option 2 you gave, if the 750 is the router will it run Circle?

Orbi AX is the one model that has yet to receive Circle support. Something that one forum moderator mentioned that it's coming in the future though no idea when.

Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

If circle only runs on the RBR50 and I make the 750 an access point, do I connect it to the back of the RBR50 near the modem? Yes If yes than can I still use the 750 satellite closer to the room with the dead areas if I don't have wall ethernet?  Yes

Sorry if these are ignorant questions. I don't mind tinkering at all. Any question asked or unasked is not ignorant. 

If I change the Xfinity modem back to router out of bridge mode and disable the wifi and put both systems as access points I assume I can't use circle, correct? Correct. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Thanks so much!!

Message 4 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thank you again! Before I buy the 752, is there any other network extender that could connect wirelessly to my RBR50 that I can use to extend my coverage (it's okay if it is a different SSID) to save a little money instead of buying the 752 right now or another RBS50?  In the areas where I have good coverage which is now almost everywhere, I am more than happy with the 300-500mbps speed I am getting and am very happy with the Circle app and I don't need the Circle for the extended wifi which will be used by me and my husband. Just seems crazy to spend more than $200 for the new RBS50.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, RBS20, RBW30, RBS50Y outdoor, and RBS40v with Voice. Also EX7500, 7700 and 8000 work as well with both systems though will be extenders only. 

Message 6 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

My RBK752 is arriving later today so I am trying to make sure I know how to install in AP mode to make it work. I understand once in AP mode the base unit and satellite can't be controlled by Orbi app but do I make a new orbilogin for the RBR750 that will be in AP mode or does it get added in my orbilogin that I currently use for the RBR50?

I will change the channels or both of them as you suggested

You mention about the distances but the RBR50 will be adjacent to the AP RBR750. They will both be projecting wifi but on the different channels. That is okay, correct? 

The RBS50 will be 30+ ft away on that floor and the other RBS50 will be on the below floor.  The RBS750 will also be on the lower floor but on opposite side of home. Should this be able to avoid the interference issues?

Thanks again in advance!

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 10 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

I really appreciate your brevity but just to confirm, yes answer for all the questions?  Thanks!

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it all works out for you. 

Message 12 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

Follow up. I installed the RBK752 in access point mode. I had to redo it at first because I needed to change the channels before I went to access point mode because I couldn't figure out how to change it after it went into AP mode. Would there have been a way to do it after in AP mode? What if I need to change a setting now? would I still be able to make the changes through the orbilogin.net? Not sure what I did wrong initially but it's okay.

I kept the RBR50 as the main router because I needed Circle for my kids. the RBR750 in AP mode gave me close to 400mbps (I pay for 600mbps) at a really far point from the RBR750 but fairly close to the satellite. The Satellite is in the same location that I used to have the RBS50 and I could never get above 150-200 on the best of days and often well below 100. Really happy I spent the extra money and got the RBK752 instead of an additional RBS50.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@ellen2298 wrote:

Follow up. I installed the RBK752 in access point mode. I had to redo it at first because I needed to change the channels before I went to access point mode because I couldn't figure out how to change it after it went into AP mode. Would there have been a way to do it after in AP mode? What if I need to change a setting now? would I still be able to make the changes through the orbilogin.net? Not sure what I did wrong initially but it's okay.

Yes, the change to wifi channels is in the same location as in router mode. Basic tab/Wireless settings. 

I kept the RBR50 as the main router because I needed Circle for my kids. the RBR750 in AP mode gave me close to 400mbps (I pay for 600mbps) at a really far point from the RBR750 but fairly close to the satellite. The Satellite is in the same location that I used to have the RBS50 and I could never get above 150-200 on the best of days and often well below 100. Really happy I spent the extra money and got the RBK752 instead of an additional RBS50.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Glad it's working well for you. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

I just noticed that the RBR750 SSID seems to be cycling a bit. . I put the channels on the 750 at 11 and 48 which was the highest for the 750 and on 1 and 36 on the RBR50. While doing that I noticed that 5 channel on the RBR 50 could have been much higher. Does it matter which of the devices is in the low range or the high range? Should I change the settings around since the RBR50 seems to have a really high channel available, maybe 165? Sorry to ask more questions

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortunately Orbi is limited on channel usage for users, the higher 149-165 channels are used by the wireless back haul. So those can't be changed. You can try channel 6 and see. 

What you also might do is turn down the power output of the 50 series RBR from 100% to say 50 or 25% to help with some of the noise with having two systems running. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 16 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

will lowering the power on the 50 lower the speeds to the RBS50s?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't see a drastic reduction.

Message 18 of 20
ellen2298
Apprentice

Just to follow up, when I lowered the power on the RBR50, the speed really did seem to drop so I raised it back up. However, by changing the 2.4 on the RBR50 to channel 6 instead of 1 it seems to be working really well. Very excited to finally have great wifi in this far room! Thank you so much!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

OK good to hear. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation