Guru

Re: ipV6 disconnecting on Orbi RBR850

Keep trying for next couple of days. 

I'll let NG know. 

Message 51 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

OK @FURRYe38 I'll reset it and keep a log.

Message 52 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@donawalt wrote:

@FURRYe38 and @FarmerBob1 yes, the IPv6 stopped working for me on the .5 release.

This morning it was a little over 17 hours from when I turned on IPv6 (Comcast - I set Auto Detect, and it went to DHCP as it always does, to set up. All last night it was fine. This morning I woke up, and it fails. Here are screen shots of 2 different test sites. It's odd how the tests say there is no IPv6 address, yet there is one. I also included a screen shot of my IPv6 config page below. Pls advise if there are any next steps I can do.

Hey @donawalt Can't see your images for some reason. Anyway, there's no current solution to this. Every time it happens you have to disable IPv6, then do an AutoConfig, disable again and do DHCP. Wait a couple of minutes between each step. You will eventually get am IPv6 address again, but it will only last 3 - 6 days. For some people less. This will require new firmware, a fix from Comcast or both. I spoke to Comcast back in March. They blow me off since I am not using their modem and router and tell me that there's probably something wrong with DHCPv6 on my router.  

Message 53 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@cdysthe Actually for me, I just set the drop down to auto detect, Apply, and when it comes back it is set to DHCP and it tests fine.  A minor point since it shouldn't be doing this for sure, I just wanted to clarify what I see. And as I said a few posts up, I only got about 17 hours this last time, nowhere close to the 3-4 days you get!

PS - I am on a CM1200 Netgear modem.

Message 54 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

OK, here is an update on my RBR850/RBS850 IPv6 disconnect problem. I am now just a shade over 4 days since I last turned on IPv6, and the IPv6 connection from router to Comcast is still working! I am encouraged, while some reported it disconnecting after 3-4 days, I seemed to only get less than 2 days. So I'll keep watching it and report back, but signs are encouraging that the .5 FW release may have helped or solved this!

Message 55 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@donawalt wrote:

OK, here is an update on my RBR850/RBS850 IPv6 disconnect problem. I am now just a shade over 4 days since I last turned on IPv6, and the IPv6 connection from router to Comcast is still working! I am encouraged, while some reported it disconnecting after 3-4 days, I seemed to only get less than 2 days. So I'll keep watching it and report back, but signs are encouraging that the .5 FW release may have helped or solved this!

I'm happy to be able to report that the same is the case for me and my RBR752/RBS752 Orbi system: 4 days without an IPv6 drop. However, I have had up to 7 days between drops so I am currently holding my breath hoping this situation finally is over

Message 56 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear this you two. Hoping something was done in regards to IPv6. 

Would be good at some point to enable email logging and see if anything happens or at least maybe see any IPv6 events being posted:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

Keep us posted as you go. Thank you.

Message 57 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I was too eager to declare this problem solved. This morning the IPv6 IP was dropped and no new IP assigned. The message in the web control panel is that IP is 'not available' See screenshot

IPv6 not availableIPv6 not available.

I'm sorry I declared the problem solved yesterday but I did at least include a reservation.

Message 58 of 130
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry that I've lost track of the permutations.  Is there a specific reason that RIPng is not enabled?

Message 59 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries about being eager. 

So I See you have Auto Config set. Would be curious to know if what happens if you change the the DCHP server and can you set something up there and see what happens? 

Message 60 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 

It doesn't matter what I set. I have to toggle Auto Config, Disable, and the DHCP several times and I get an IP after having done that several times. This is described in detail further up in this thread. Do I really have to explain all of it again?

RPing has no effect on this situation. Trust me, I have tired that too. 

But as I have said above if I do AutCofig I get 6to4tunnel, not DHCP. I have tried absolutely everything but after 4-7 days I lose the IPv6 IP and have to jump through hoops to get a new IP. 

This problem has to do with DHCPv6 where Netgear and Comcast have some sort of issue that needs to be resolved.

We have an Asus router as backup to offer IPv6 while I mess around with the Orbi. The Asus has no such problems.

Message 61 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

As a comment @cdysthe it's really odd that on Comcast you get 6to4 tunnel when you set Auto Detect. If I choose Auto Detect, which I do most times, after I apply it shows up as DHCP. I don't know if it matters or not, as we both have had IPv6 disconnect issues, but we may have two different Comcast network topologies.

PS - I am about 3 hours past 5 days and it's still working for me.

Message 62 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the info. Will get this passed to NG for review. 

Glad someone has better experiences. @donawalt 

You guys on same ISP HW or all different? 

Message 63 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@donawalt has a better experience until his IP drops again. Remember that this issue for me happens every 4-7 days. All is good until all of a sudden there's no available IPv6 IP address. It probably happens when Comcast/XFinity tries to renew the address once a week or so for me.

I am on a Orbi 752 on a XFiniy gigabit connection over a Netgear CM2000 modem. I seem to remember that @donawalt is with Comcast/XFinity as well but on a Orbi 850 system. I may be wrong on that.  Anyway, there are threads in other forums and on Reddit discussing this issue quite a few Netgear routers so again, I think this is a Netgear/Comcast issue where Comcast changed something early this year that broker DHCPv6 on some Netgear hardware.

I'm getting tired of this though so may just stay on the Asus system. If I stop responding that is why.

Message 64 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@cdysthe you are right, my router is RBR850, 2xRBR850 routers. Modem is my own, NG CM1200.EdIT: I forgot to add I am also on the Comcast gigabit service, 1.2GB/35MB  (provisioned I get 1.4/42).

Yes I figure I can feel success if I can get to say 2 weeks with no problems, although over the last 3-4 months I have never gotten 4-7 days - it has always been tops 2 days or so. So we will see how it goes. 

Message 65 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. 

Just trying to confirm what you all have. Ya Donawalt has a 8 series. I don't think the series matters as this is a base code issue across the two models which are same I believe.

Ok, lets see if Donawalt can get up to 7 days or past. 

Regardless, will try to keep on with NG about this. Your the only two that are helping out on this and it's appreciated. 

Will keep on it. 

Message 66 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@donawalt wrote:

@cdysthe you are right, my router is RBR850, 2xRBR850 routers. Modem is my own, NG CM1200.EdIT: I forgot to add I am also on the Comcast gigabit service, 1.2GB/35MB  (provisioned I get 1.4/42).

Yes I figure I can feel success if I can get to say 2 weeks with no problems, although over the last 3-4 months I have never gotten 4-7 days - it has always been tops 2 days or so. So we will see how it goes. 

@donawalt Would be so unfair if the FW update solved it for you on the 850 and not for me down on my 750. Oh well. if the problem comes back you know where to find us! 🙂

Message 67 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@cdysthe No worries I plan to keep updating my progress here good or bad!!

Message 68 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

The one CM modem that seems to handle just over 1Gb. Great modem too. 

One of these days you'll need something with 2.5Gb WAN port. 😉

@donawalt wrote:

Message 69 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I would upgrade the modem in a second if Comcast bumped their speeds up!!!

Message 70 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. Who knows when that will happen. Though not sure on full capabilities of D 3.1, however maybe ISPs are waiting for DOCSIS 4. 

Message 71 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@cdysthe @FURRYe38 Well I am now an hour past 7 days, and IPv6 is still working! Let's hope this continues!! Maybe yours will stabilize after a reset @cdysthe ...

Message 72 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I have reset many times. Every week I hope it will stay but no. Maybe this time it will. Our CEO wants me to get Ubiquity and move on. I'll give it one more week
Message 73 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this being used at a home or business? 

@cdysthe wrote:
I have reset many times. Every week I hope it will stay but no. Maybe this time it will. Our CEO wants me to get Ubiquity and move on. I'll give it one more week

Message 74 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Deleted

Message 75 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 129 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements