Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ipV6 disconnecting on Orbi RBR850

donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I just deselected one of the log choices that adds about 99% of the entries in the log file. I did not enable email log sending, because frankly on my network with this set up there will be virtually nothing to send. I suspect this solves any chances of mysterious reboots for me, pointing to the same issue - log gets full, restart occurs. It can be solved by users for now by emailing the log and clearing it, or in my case, don't let entries go into the log. I bet it works! If not I'll try the email logs.

Message 101 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. Would be interesting. 

There seems to be a issue in the code though something about an increase to 1024 however the field values are still set for 3. So by limiting what you select in the logs may not see the problem for may only put off seeing the problem for a longer period of time before the bug is hit. 🙄

Message 102 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

True, I have a reminder to check the log monthly and I have never seen more than about 3 entries in the log. So I bet it will be fixed before I see it, if it is related to a full log!

Message 103 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I have been in touch with Comcast/Xfinity on Reddit and they scheduled a tech to come to my house to look at this. I told them this may be a Netgear issue, but they are very interested in finding out what's going on. Talk about customer service from Comcast! I bet you haven't heard that too often! I wish Netgear were as responsive as that.

I will update here when I know more.

Message 104 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Also check the system uptime for any changes here. The email logging helps on this one. 

@donawalt wrote:

True, I have a reminder to check the log monthly and I have never seen more than about 3 entries in the log. So I bet it will be fixed before I see it, if it is related to a full log!

Message 105 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds good...might ask them to review this thread as well for reference. Maybe we can collaborate on information. Would be good to know where the problem is coming in at. I dont' doubt it's a NG issue, just maybe additional things on the ISP side that could be also causing problems here. 

@cdysthe wrote:

I have been in touch with Comcast/Xfinity on Reddit and they scheduled a tech to come to my house to look at this. I told them this may be a Netgear issue, but they are very interested in finding out what's going on. Talk about customer service from Comcast! I bet you haven't heard that too often! I wish Netgear were as responsive as that.

I will update here when I know more.

Message 106 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 I just lost IPv6 again - only about 29 hours later. There have been no restarts of the RBR850. Do you want me to change it to email logs? FYI the log file shows as empty. If you want me to do it, how do I do it - I can't find the setting?

This is a bummer. 

Message 107 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

So it's not only me. That's somewhat reassuring.
Message 108 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

@donawalt wrote:

I just lost IPv6 again - only about 29 hours later. There have been no restarts of the RBR850. Do you want me to change it to email logs? FYI the log file shows as empty. If you want me to do it, how do I do it - I can't find the setting?

This is a bummer. 

Message 109 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Your not the only one. Just in his case, he went 24days with out seeing any IPv6 problems, then lost it. Now this latest one is 29 hours later again something happened. Seems like this maybe on the ISP side IMO. 

@cdysthe wrote:
So it's not only me. That's somewhat reassuring.

Message 110 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

It's morning here @FURRYe38 , and I jumped on my laptop and discovered IPv6 is out again - less than 10 hours later. I wonder if because of some issue the lease has been shortened until the connection works better. Netgear web page for the router did show an IP address, after the auto detect it was the same router IPv6 address; I never checked to see if it was the same. Anyway - I am turning on the email setting now.

Message 111 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 here's an interesting one - to test the sending logs to email, I turned on 'Router operation' messages to get some in quickly, so I could send a log. Instantly I had a ton of messages in the log, some from hours ago. So Maybe they are always there in the log (or in some internal log that is getting filled), and the setting just control what you see and what gets emailed? Anyway, send logs to email is now on and working.

Message 112 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Regarding IPv6 leases Comcast at least shorten the lease to one or two hours after a new device is detected or there's a reboot of a detectable device. After that it's days, four days seems to be the going rate around here.
Message 113 of 130
FarmerBob1
Luminary

It's just that you and I are not meant to have IPv6. 😡

Message 114 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we are tracking some bad logging behavior with in the logging code. Seems that the logging is not clearing out itself after reaching a limit and is being handle badly. So for now don't worry about what your seeing. You can deselect most of the logging items that you don't use or need. Were hoping the NG can fix the logging issues. 

@donawalt wrote:

Here's an interesting one - to test the sending logs to email, I turned on 'Router operation' messages to get some in quickly, so I could send a log. Instantly I had a ton of messages in the log, some from hours ago. So Maybe they are always there in the log (or in some internal log that is getting filled), and the setting just control what you see and what gets emailed? Anyway, send logs to email is now on and working.

Message 115 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FarmerBob1 wrote:

It's just that you and I are not meant to have IPv6. 😡

I think the problem is that you and I are one of the few who cares about IPv6! Even Netgear is treating it as an afterthought burying it deep into the web UI under Advanced and not supporting it at all in the app. That has to change! They could at least acknowledge the issue. If they did and let me know when they will have it fixed I would gladly wait. But this total silence around this issue from NG is unnerving. 

Message 116 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Lost IPv6 again tonight - 10 days since the last time, firmware version V4.6.8.5_2.1.9, RBR850 and 2 RBS850s. It's better than it was, but they still haven't fixed it yet. It's been about 6 months now.

Message 117 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

ipV6 disconnecting on Orbi RBR850

RBS850/RBR850, just one day after I temporarily disabled it to do some testing and then re-enabled it. The router web page thinks it has an IP address, but no one else does. Firmware version V4.6.8.5_2.1.9.

Message 118 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this? 

Message 119 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Well it's funny you should ask @FURRYe38 😉

I have been on V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 since it came out, maybe 2 weeks? IPv6 has been solid. Yesterday, I switched out my CM1200 modem and activated a Netgear CM2000 modem in its place. In the day since, IPv6 has been fine. What may be more important, is in the last 4-6 weeks, the only time I lost IPv6 was when some sort of update/upgrade/power cycle happened to the RBR850 router. I took that as a sign that things were better, but not 100% for me. My CM2000 has restarted in the last day, provisioning and stuff that happens with new modems on the Comcast network, and everything has been fine - no downtime. Fingers crossed!

Message 120 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Keep us posted on this...like to know if you see any issues with the CM2000 modem. 

Hoping IPv6 is getting better. Where this is happening is still not fully known or understood. 

Message 121 of 130
donawalt
Virtuoso

Will do!

Message 122 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I have very good news! I installed the FW update V4.6.14.3. I factory reset and set it up again. IPv6 dropped after an hour. I set it to DHCP and got another IP and it has stayed stable for more than a week now. So maybe the FW update did solve this problem. I have not had IPv6 connections for more than a year so I am hoping this fixed it.

I wish I knew in more detail what Netgear did in the latest FW upgrade. The changelog is not very detailed. 

Anyway, very good news, at least for me! 🙂

Message 123 of 130
FURRYe38
Guru

Great news to hear. Hoping that some bugging with this issue at NG has done something good. 

Glad it's working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@cdysthe wrote:

I have very good news! I installed the FW update V4.6.14.3. I factory reset and set it up again. IPv6 dropped after an hour. I set it to DHCP and got another IP and it has stayed stable for more than a week now. So maybe the FW update did solve this problem. I have not had IPv6 connections for more than a year so I am hoping this fixed it.

I wish I knew in more detail what Netgear did in the latest FW upgrade. The changelog is not very detailed. 

Anyway, very good news, at least for me! 🙂

Message 124 of 130
cdysthe
Virtuoso

So reset and restore settings is just as good as reset and enter settings manually?
Message 125 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 129 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7