Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi rbk850- register issues

aaglancy
Aspirant

orbi rbk850- register issues

I purchased a used rbk850 router with satellite for a decent price a few months ago. I finally installed it a few days ago. Downloaded the app, set it up and it does work. However the app won't recognize the device since it's registered u der the old owners devices. I spoke with netgear support and reset several times, but would never let it. They said they would contact another department and they could register it to me .However I am still waiting. I want the app to recognize it, so I can get future
updates, change signal strength, passwords .etc.
What do I need to do.
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@aaglancy wrote:
The app won't recognize the device since it's registered under the old owners devices.

This is an unfortunate, and all too common situation.  Only the person who registered the device can "unregister it".  Even if you were able to track down the original owner, they may have "moved on" and no longer have access to my.netgear.com.

What seems to have worked for people in this situation in the past is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators by clicking on their screen name (perhaps @KevinLiT  ) Include sufficient information to explain the problem (model#, serial#, when purchased used, etc. e.g. the sort of information that should not be published on a public forum)

@aaglancy wrote:
 I want the app to recognize it, so I can get future
updates, change signal strength, passwords .etc.

Alas, you may be sorely disappointed.  While the 'app' does have some capabilities, there are many (MANY) settings which cannot be changed using the app. (Among them are the Transmit Power level, DNS Servers, device registrations, etc.)

Message 3 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi aaglancy, 

You mentioned that you have contacted support for assistance, kindly send me a private message with the case number so we can check the status of the case. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 11
aaglancy
Aspirant

thank you

Message 5 of 11

I purchased my Netgear Orbi RBK852 from eBay few months ago. I sent a message to customer.service@netgear.com. Several days later they opened a case for me. They asked me to provide a clear picture of the bottom of the RBR with serial number and also the receipt for the purchase (I had just the eBay receipt). After 2 more days, they unregistered the system from previous owner and registered on my email. 

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please send the forum moderator a Private Message with your case number. Do not post it in the public forum. Thank you. 

@aaglancy wrote:

thank you

Message 7 of 11
aaglancy
Aspirant

Hello! I sent you yesterday the case number in a private message. We're you able to find anything out.
Thank you
Message 8 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi aaglancy, 

System shows that you already provided the requested information. We have notified Customer Service Team to follow up on your case and they should be providing you an update as soon as possible.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 11
aaglancy
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. However, I was able to get the previous owners to u register the router. I was able to register it and get it to recognize and setup in the app.
So I no longer need your help or netgears help.
thank you again!
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7