Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbk753 (4200) Satellites dropping connection from Router.

Creez
Tutor

rbk753 (4200) Satellites dropping connection from Router.

Hi guys! I recently purchased an rbk753 to replace my old rbk53. I have place the router and satellites at the same spots that I had my previous system in which it worked grate. Constant backhaul of 5ghz and full speed around the house. Now with the new system I’m experiencing dropped connection between the satellites and the router randomly. Most of the time it works as intended but, I get from 5 to 6 magenta lights on satellite daily. I notice that both satellites drop connection simultaneously and when they pick back up, backhaul have change to 2.4ghz. Most of this interruptions have happened by night, this must be a coincidence but I thought its worth mentioning just in case. The satellites are 15 and roughly 30 feet from router, not many obstacles in the way they almost have a clean line of sight. I’m currently running fw v3.2.15.25 since setup. I was thinking of reverting back to the previous version to tested out and verify if I get any improvement. I tried a few things that I read on the forum for connectivity issues like disabling 20/40mhz coexistence, switch to short preamble, replacing the cts and rts values to 2347 and resetting it from scratch but all to no avil. Is anyone have this issue? Could this be a fw related issue or is there something I’m missing here? I also noticed some issues in the app, its probably nothing but no matter how close my devices are sitting to router/satellite they don’t show full bars in the app.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Creez
Tutor

Re: rbk753 (4200) Satellites dropping connection from Router.

So after moving the router around the room like crazy and having no succes finding a sweet spot where the lamp dosen't interfere, I went online to search for possible isolation materials for Radio Frecuencies. Found out that alumium was one of them. So I when to the kitchen got a roll of aluminum foil and cover the lamp power supply and the proximity sensor with two sheets of foil. I made a really small hole to expose the controller reciver eye. Turned the light on and problem solved. No more dropping backhaul connection. I know its not the most ideal solution but it gets the job done until I find a new lamp that I like. Hope this helps.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know of that works or moving the RBS around as well. Seems to be issues with these LED lamps causing problems of there own. 

@Creez wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wow, thats interesting. Didn't think a LED lamp would cause this problem. What is the mfr and model of this lamp? 

Interesting fact. I have the same lamp in the room where the satellite is and I have no issues on that end. Maybe I got a defective lamp or it got damaged through time. I’ll report back once I replace it.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 11
Creez
Tutor

Update:

So I kept troubleshooting around the house to understand what was causing my backhaul to drop. I narrow it down to the thing that we use the most at night, since it was at night time that most of my issues occurred. Turns out that it was a ceiling led lamp that I bough of costco who was causing the interference. The lamp is located in the same room as the router and every time I switch the light on my satellites turned magenta. I hope this helps.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, thats interesting. Didn't think a LED lamp would cause this problem. What is the mfr and model of this lamp? 

Message 4 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

Here is an article about LED lamps causing RF interference.... It is a thing for some brands

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/blogs/news-reviews/solutions-to-led-lights-causing-tv-radio-inter...

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

@Creez wrote:
Update:

So I kept troubleshooting around the house to understand what was causing my backhaul to drop. I narrow it down to the thing that we use the most at night, since it was at night time that most of my issues occurred. Turns out that it was a ceiling led lamp that I bough of costco who was causing the interference. The lamp is located in the same room as the router and every time I switch the light on my satellites turned magenta. I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 11
Creez
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IMG_0054.jpg
Interesting fact. I have the same lamp in the room where the satellite is and I have no issues on that end. Maybe I got a defective lamp or it got damaged through time. I’ll report back once I replace it.

Message 7 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@Creez wrote:

The interference may be very sensitive to the relative position of your router/satellite relative to your LED light: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/war-on-christmas-lights-wifi-interference#:~:text=Visible%20lig...  .  Try moving the Orib around, within the room, and see if it makes a difference.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know of that works or moving the RBS around as well. Seems to be issues with these LED lamps causing problems of there own. 

@Creez wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 9 of 11
Creez
Tutor

So after moving the router around the room like crazy and having no succes finding a sweet spot where the lamp dosen't interfere, I went online to search for possible isolation materials for Radio Frecuencies. Found out that alumium was one of them. So I when to the kitchen got a roll of aluminum foil and cover the lamp power supply and the proximity sensor with two sheets of foil. I made a really small hole to expose the controller reciver eye. Turned the light on and problem solved. No more dropping backhaul connection. I know its not the most ideal solution but it gets the job done until I find a new lamp that I like. Hope this helps.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Creez wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Great idea and solution for those lamp power supplies. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7