Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbk753 mesh and calix gm2037 install later this week

ChrisGtr
Aspirant

rbk753 mesh and calix gm2037 install later this week

I am runnning rbk753 mesh system with 2 satelites currently, Later this week fiberIq will be installing a line to my house and inside.

My question is - will I be running into any trouble?

Calix Gigbit mesh system Mesh WiFi 6e/u6me = GM2037 this is what they say they have to use if I wanted too.

I am usign cat6 cable in house.

I use the Netgear CM2000 modem currently.

They say I will have 5000 up and down

Currently i have 700down 41 up....

Any suggestions before this happens? I see alot of people making it work, and some dont. So please let me know.

I have a 3k sqft house. and I have to have those extra satelites for the cameras and other stuff to work

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: rbk753 mesh and calix gm2037 install later this week

Trouble? No.  The RBK753 should work fine with the fiber Optical Network Terminator (ONT).

Expectations? Unrealistic.

Neither the RBR750 nor the Calix support more than 1 gigabit WAN connections.

https://www.calix.com/content/dam/calix/mycalix-misc/lib/prem/i/u6e-me/index.htm?toc.htm?104042.htm 

Thus internet speed of 5,000MB/sec may be available at the ONT, but cannot be delivered to the customer.

Probably might be worth a few minutes to double check their promises. and confirm the monthly cost to use their Calix in a mesh configuration (one router plus two satellites).

The Calix appears to be similar to the Orbi 960 product line (supporting WiFi6E)

Message 2 of 12
ChrisGtr
Aspirant

so running out of their modem, I do get 4200/4200.

but once i connect to the orbi its 1000/45

ideas? or need to use their stuff?

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Observations:

• This is a freakish amount of bandwidth.
  • Wonderful that you have an Ethernet adapter capable of 4200Mbps to verify this speed.
  • Annoyed that the Calix Product Data Sheet does not mention WAN and LAN ports capable of greater than 1GB.
    (Obviously if you measure 4200, then the WAN port and at least one LAN port must be capable of higher than that speed.)
  • Surprised that the Orbi upload speed reported at 45MB/sec when the download speed reported at 1000.
  • There are only two models of Orbi residential systems with greater than 1GB WAN ports:
    • The RBR860 WAN port supports up to 10GB, but the four LAN ports all max out at 1GB.
      This means that 4.2GB data stream could be shared among a lot of devices (both wired and WiFi), but no single  wired device will get more than 1GB and the WiFi devices will max out at whatever their chipsets support.
      WiFi6 (802.11ax) devices may be capable of 1GB.
    • The RBRE960 WAN port supports 10GB plus it has one LAN port rated to 2.5GB plus three 1GB LAN ports.  Users commonly feed the 2.5G port into a 2.5G switch and connect 960 satellites and computers to that switch.  That still leaves bandwidth "on the table" and available to the router wired ports and the router WiFi devices.
  • There are a number of routers on the market supporting 4200Mbps WAN connections:
    https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rs700 (Netgear's 960 is in the second half of the article). Some of those systems have faster LAN side ports than any Netgear Orbi system.
  • It might be worth asking the ISP about the cost of using their WiFi router plus enough WiFi satellites to provide coverage to the desired area.  Their product appears to be roughly equivalent to the Netgear 960 (and perhaps to some of the other products).  A Netgear RBRK963 sells for about $1,500.  If the ISP wants $150/month, then the break-even would be 15 months.  If they ask only $50/month, then the break-even would be 45 months.

Message 4 of 12
ChrisGtr
Aspirant

i stil have the issue of the orbi not connecting lol, go figure.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Not connecting directly to the fiber ONT, or not connecting to the Calix router?

Message 6 of 12
ChrisGtr
Aspirant

i have internet from modem hard lined to computer.

i hav done the following

I have a mesh orbi rbk753-100nas Wifi 6 mesh system. iq fiber installed a modem calix gigapoint gp1101x model 100-05638. This is fiber Internet works when connected straight to modem, 4200 up 4200 down. mesh system can not connect to the internet. I have done the following: Unplugged mesh system, Disconnected all Ethernet cables and reset. Hard reset mesh orbi Ipconfig renewed IP After 3 hard resets I was able to get into factory mode. and we still can not connect to internet.

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for clarifying.

The GP1101X Optical Network Unit (ONU) provides one auto sensing Ethernet port capable of 100/2500/10G.  (It is really annoying that they do not let us download the Product Data Sheet - requires a login/password - because we can only guess if "1000" was left out by accident or if the Ethernet port does not actually support 1000MB (1Gigabit). I'm guessing this is a simple typo. )

When a Windows computer is connected directly to this Ethernet port, it connects successfully and Ookla Speed Test reports upload/download speed of 4200/4200.  There is probably an after-market Ethernet adapter in the computer because most computers come with gigabit Ethernet adapters.

The Orbi RBR750 router has been Factory Reset, and thus needs to be configured.

Power off the ONU for a minute so it wlll 'forget about' the Windows computer that was connected previously.

Most older people would connect the Windows computer to one of the Orbi LAN ports, power up the Orbi, and open a web browser to http://orbilogin.net (or to http://192.168.1.1 ) - Younger people would probably whip out their smartphone, but more on that later.

When I do this, the first page attempts to talk me into using the Orbi 'app' to configure the system, and I go to the bottom of the screen to find the prompt I do not have a smart phone. (It's none of their damn business whether I possess a smartphone or not.  I just want to use the web method to set up the system.)

Power Up the ONU.

Connect the Orbi router to the ONU with an Ethernet cable.

Since the ISP provided no information stating that their system requires a user name and password, and the Windows computer connected correctly, select "No login required."

and this doesn't work???

Message 8 of 12
ChrisGtr
Aspirant

i cant get past the no internet connection when i first login to the orbi online. So i go to i will set it up myself.

and as far as the modem is concerned, the default gateway ip nor the 192.168.1.1 works when i connect straight from modem to laptop. odd as heck.

rebooted both modem and orbi same time tried that, 

tried how you did also.

i have tried birdge mode too, hard reseted it after didnt work.

looks like the mesh orbi is blocking the internet after its connected.

its not releasing and givign a IP address idk

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@ChrisGtr wrote:

and as far as the modem is concerned, the default gateway ip nor the 192.168.1.1 works when i connect straight from modem to laptop. odd as heck.

This is not odd at all. Having no access to a user manual, I have no idea if the Calix GP1101X can be accessed by the user (or not).  In the cable world, some modems have a provision for user access and some do not.  Have no experience with fiber.

For certain, however, the modem is not going to respond to http://orbilogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 That is for when the laptop is connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports.  Not connected directly to the fiber ONU.

My experience is that an Orbi router will function with no internet access at all.  i.e.

• Do not connect the Orbi router WAN interface to anything.
  • Power up the Orbi router.  The ring light will go through a sequence that ends with the ring light (at the top) turning magenta. (sort of 'red')
  • Connect a computer to one of the Orbi LAN interfaces with an Ethernet cable.
  • When a web browser on the laptop opens http://orbilogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 the Orbi web interface should come up on the screen.  If it asks for a login, the credentials are User Name "admin" and Password "password" (lower case for everything).
  • Of course, the Orbi is not particularly useful at this point, because it has no link to the internet, but the web interface should function. 
  • Because it has been Factory Reset, it should come up with the screen asking whether to use the Orbi 'app' or (at the bottom of the screen) the regular web interface to configure the router.
  • When the WAN port is connected to the fiber ONU, the ring light on the router should turn Blue for 2 minutes and then turn off.

Message 10 of 12
ChrisGtr
Aspirant

So this is what I had to do.

Reconnect old cm2000 to mesh orbi 753. Relink and make it to as it what earlier.

Finally have my AC on.

I left a very unsatisfied text message with the sales rep who I spoke to first.

They came out today, I explained to them what I did.

They plugged their stuff in, reconnected the gx1101x to their machine, (I think they never finished this part yesterday, it’s a handshake) they run dynamic IP. Reconnected to mesh orbi.

It worked

tested the lines that I have as the rbk753k max upload download is 1k.

I can confirm this works.

now since I wanted the 5k which is max 4200 up down on 1 cable, and 4 are 1k.

They are doing this now.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ChrisGtr wrote:
So this is what I had to do.

Reconnect old cm2000 to mesh orbi 753. Relink and make it to as it what earlier.

Finally have my AC on.

I left a very unsatisfied text message with the sales rep who I spoke to first.

They came out today, I explained to them what I did.

They plugged their stuff in, reconnected the gx1101x to their machine, (I think they never finished this part yesterday, it’s a handshake) they run dynamic IP. Reconnected to mesh orbi.

It worked

tested the lines that I have as the rbk753k max upload download is 1k.

I can confirm this works.

now since I wanted the 5k which is max 4200 up down on 1 cable, and 4 are 1k.

They are doing this now.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7